Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
What is with the super super outrageous prices sellers are asking for these serial numbered cards. A numbered to 99 auto refractor blue Juan Gonzalez the seller is asking $125.
A 2021 Chrome Platinum Anniversary Auto Refractor #PA-DP Dave Parker /199 $114.99 and so on and so on. Are these people doing drugs?? Or just nutz. They need to be smacked and slapped with a humiliating kick in the crotch.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
What is with the super super outrageous prices sellers are asking for these serial numbered cards. A numbered to 99 auto refractor blue Juan Gonzalez the seller is asking $125.
A 2021 Chrome Platinum Anniversary Auto Refractor #PA-DP Dave Parker /199 $114.99 and so on and so on. Are these people doing drugs?? Or just nutz. They need to be smacked and slapped with a humiliating kick in the crotch.
Hopefully it's just people trying to maximize new release hype.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think it's more than that. Too many sellers have just lost their minds. There are more astonishingly overpriced listings than I've ever seen before. Like this one I came across this morning:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I think it's more than that. Too many sellers have just lost their minds. There are more astonishingly overpriced listings than I've ever seen before. Like this one I came across this morning:

Here is another one from the same seller.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

That particular seller is pretty insane with their prices, using the "price it crazy high and maybe a crazy person will buy it" model...wonder how that's working for him. He has a few '90s inserts I need that are priced like 4x what I'd pay for them, with no best offer option. I need one of the 1999 Rubies he listed, Ben Grieve, but it's priced at $250/BO. I don't even bother offering on prices that bonkers. I'd actually be willing to pay in the $50 range and that's pretty high for Ben freaking Grieve.

I was looking up sales history on this set and it does look like he got an offer he liked for a Sammy Sosa he had priced at $700!

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
It feels like with the inflation of hobby boxes, people are pricing the cards the same. The past couple years I have seen outrageous prices for individual cards. I have to imagine, like the housing market, prices/boxes have to come back to reality at some point. But Panini keeps pumping stuff out.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

I mean yeah it's certainly a popular set (especially when you're talking about the most popular player with the uniform serial #), but commons seem to usually sell for $10-30 with definite outliers. Not $250. I'm willing to overpay for stuff I really want and I've picked up multiple cards from this set for under $50 in the last 2 years.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
A lot of people are acting like it's summer 2020 still, and the whole market is still out of whack. It will take a while for things to sort themselves out but there will be a lot of people hanging on to the pandemic ideas of value and supply/demand. You just need patience. Sure, some sellers will try to capitalize on FOMO and some just don't know what a card would typically sell for and is afraid of leaving money on the table. But for everyone listing a /99 card at $125, there will be 98 others and sooner or later one will appear in your price range.

That said, I think this product is a bit underrated at the moment. People are caught up in the changes to the autograph checklist (several blue chip names seem to have been removed) and the cutting of apparently half the parallels that would have been a big driver for the product. But the plethora of parallels it has, the huge checklist, and the price points of both the hobby and lite boxes I think will make it a sleeper that won't be asleep for too long. It's a long shot but think it could be the 1999-2000 Tek of this generation. A small niche with some very dedicated collectors chasing the rarities to complete rainbows of their guys, team sets, and complete sets, ripping boxes until they're all done.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That said, I think this product is a bit underrated at the moment. People are caught up in the changes to the autograph checklist (several blue chip names seem to have been removed) and the cutting of apparently half the parallels that would have been a big driver for the product. But the plethora of parallels it has, the huge checklist, and the price points of both the hobby and lite boxes I think will make it a sleeper that won't be asleep for too long. It's a long shot but think it could be the 1999-2000 Tek of this generation. A small niche with some very dedicated collectors chasing the rarities to complete rainbows of their guys, team sets, and complete sets, ripping boxes until they're all done.

Yeah I think something that may be overlooked is that some people really love the look of these cards and that's going to increase demand when they are hunting for their players/teams. Personally I love when Topps has done autos with the '52 design in the past, I just think it looks really nice. I'll be going for all of the A's (except Rickey, that'll sell for more than I feel like paying) just because they look cool. If more are like me that will keep the values decent long term.

A couple of other sets where they have used this concept, 2001 Topps Heritage autos and 2007 Topps '52 rookie autos:

01therautoshantz.jpg suzuki07topps52auto.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I like this set, I was both excited and overwhelmed when I saw Wakefield was included because I've been waiting for a large parallel set to chase of him. When I saw the card I went the other way. It's the exact same shot they used in 2001 Bowman heritage and 2017 topps snapshots.....same pic on three cards!? Could we care any less!?!
I'll still buy them because I'm a spineless sheep, but I'm not paying high prices...F'n Topps stealing my joy.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I can't believe the number of parallels in the set, and that people have been asking $50+ for Grace parallels #/99. This set has been crazy out of the gate as far as I'm concerned. I've only bought the base, refractor and B&W mini diamond so far at reasonable prices.

• Refractor - 1:4 Packs
  • Prism Refractor - 4 per Mega
  • B&W Mini-Diamond - 1:4 Packs (Lite)
  • Aqua Wave Refractor - 1:21 packs
  • X-Fractor - 1:24 Packs (Hobby)
  • Blue Mini-Diamonds - #/199
  • Red Atomic Refractor - #/100 (Hobby)
  • Green/Yellow 70th - #/99
  • Rose Gold Mini-Diamonds - #/75
  • Platinum 70th Mini-Diamonds - #/70
  • Gold/Rose Gold 70th Wave - #/50
  • Orange/Yellow 70th - #/25
  • Black/Gold 70th - #/10 (Hobby)
  • Black/Red 70th Mini-Diamonds - #/5
  • SuperFractor - 1/1

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I can't believe the number of parallels in the set, and that people have been asking $50+ for Grace parallels #/99. This set has been crazy out of the gate as far as I'm concerned. I've only bought the base, refractor and B&W mini diamond so far at reasonable prices.

• Refractor - 1:4 Packs
  • Prism Refractor - 4 per Mega
  • B&W Mini-Diamond - 1:4 Packs (Lite)
  • Aqua Wave Refractor - 1:21 packs
  • X-Fractor - 1:24 Packs (Hobby)
  • Blue Mini-Diamonds - #/199
  • Red Atomic Refractor - #/100 (Hobby)
  • Green/Yellow 70th - #/99
  • Rose Gold Mini-Diamonds - #/75
  • Platinum 70th Mini-Diamonds - #/70
  • Gold/Rose Gold 70th Wave - #/50
  • Orange/Yellow 70th - #/25
  • Black/Gold 70th - #/10 (Hobby)
  • Black/Red 70th Mini-Diamonds - #/5
  • SuperFractor - 1/1
It looks like they are trying to keep up with Panini Prizm and their 20 or so parallels.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts