Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Going to use the Dodger thread for this package, as all from sale seller.

Golden Ann Lot.pngGolden Ann Lot 2.pngErskine, A. Gonzalez, Furcal all with connections. The rest did not.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yesterday was a busy day for me and completed missed this opportunity. I'll pick up one presale. I suppose I might have bought a few had I seen that live. Then there is at least a chance at the parallels. Not a fan of the short-time offered exclusives, mainly because I never see them in time to participate.

Garvey /10. Think this completes the run, unless there is a 1/1 that I probably won't pay asking price for or will miss if ever offered.Garvey 10.jpg

Wills Wills.jpg

A few TTM/IPs. Moon.jpgDemeter.jpgSherry.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My first 2022 Archives Signature series Garvey buy, the Boardwalk & Baseball /30. For some players, like Garvey, this set has run it's course. I am seeing the same stupid cards being sealed year in and out. How many 1985 Topps buybacks does one need? Some players have some potential left, but Garvey isn't one of them. I've already seen 3-4 1/1s being offered and apparently EVERYONE selling thinks they are $200 cards!s-l1600.jpg

Rafael Furcal. s-l1600-3.jpg

A few Stadium postcards. s-l1600-2.jpg

Wrapping with these odd Tasco poster/prints. Drysdale. s-l1600-1.jpg

I have been buying a lot of low end cards lately and have a lot coming in soon...should be fun mail call for a week or two.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Missed out on these a few weeks back (I assume the seller had multiples, but didn't see if the S/Ns were the same). I was surprised at how high they went, thanks to me in part. Saw them listed again and won all 3. He is a nobody, but still fun to land low serial numbered cards of Dodgers, even scrubs. He played in a total of 3 games for the Dodgers (5 total in his career), with no decisions. Onelki Garcia /5, /10 & /25 Garcia 5.jpgGarcia 10.jpgGarcia 25.jpg

Alex DeJesus. TTM/IP. Kind of looks like some sort of ritualistic symbol instead of a signature. De Jesus.jpg

Justin Bruihl press plate. My non-autograph, newer card purchases are almost always Garvey or otherwise very limited, but thought I would grab this one. Brihil PP.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Going to have to split this one, due to a large lot of TTM/IP cards. Start with the non-Dodgers images
Mark Prior /25. Prior 25.png
John "Candy Man" Candelaria. Candy Man.jpg
Kevin Pillar, which is a new signature I didn't have, aside from one sitting at COMC. Pillar.jpg

Al Oliver card and 8x10 photo. s-l1600.jpgOliver 8X10.jpg

Then, a couple Certified Dodgers, including 2 Dennis Santana /50. Santana 50.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg
and Edwin Jackson /25. Jackson 25.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sweeney. Sweeney.jpg
Treanor. Treanor.jpg
Hudson. s-l1600-2.jpg
Mueller. Mueller.jpg

There were a few more, but not worth the time to mention and show. Mostly scrubs who never made the team or had very short stays.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Oliver /50. Oliver 50.jpg

Erskine. Erskine.jpg

I needed a better Lloyd Waner and got a bargain with this lot, that also includes Dodger related Al Lopez and Babe Herman. The Pearson is a nice add as well, although no Dodger tie. s-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A big Garvey day as I have had in a while.

Fan Favorites Rainbow foil /10. Garvey FF 10.jpg

22 Archives 81T /18/Garvey 18 81 Arch.jpg

Man do I love the clean look of the 1961 Topps design, signed. Perhaps one of the best cards ever for autographs in my opinion. Furcal 22 Archives /39. Furcal.jpg

Toss in an oldie with Guy Cantrell, D. 1961. Pitcher with Brooklyn parts of 1925 & 1927. 1-0 in 20 appearances and was 2-7 career in 38 games.

Cantrell.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A sizable haul today. I think I need to check myself lately. Since I gave up the all Garvey chase, it's freed up more time and $ for other things. however, still snagging some Garvey too. I really need to be on the slowdown phase of this, but it still brings me a lot of joy.

Duke /15. Duke 15.jpg

Duke again... Duke Topps.jpg

Beaty from the online exclusive Baller Dodgers Topps boxed set. I really like this design and the concept, but so did everyone else. I talked about this at the time, with the boxes being a huge gamble, but even the scrubbiest of autos seem to sell for semi-decent prices, but you'd still be hard pressed to make your $100 back unless you pulled one of the better autographs or a lower #'s parallel. Beaty.jpg

Gonsolin, brought me back to first needing his autographs and this was the only choice. now they have flooded the market with his signature, just in time for his hot start of 11-0 and an AS game nod. He lost finally and this will probably be his greatest season ever! I hope he continues to do well, but you know how cards and hot players tend to go. What have you done for me lately? This is the die-cut /75 version. Gonsolin.png

A little Dodger action out of uniform. Juan Marichal. I don't remember how these sets were sold. I recall seeing them around the time, but it was right before ebay took off. Did anyone buy these sets retail or wholesale back in the early 90s? Marichal.jpgMarichal COA.jpg

I think this may be a dupe. Yoshi was only a brief Dodger last year for 12 games between stints at TB and Pitt and this card is /20, but almost certain that is the one I landed before too. Yoshi.jpg

Last item is a good example of what you can find when you are willing to buy in lots/bulk. I don't know how many of these I already have, as I have never checklisted them, but for a lot of 36 opening at $99, I thought it's a steal at $2.75 per booklet! I won them at the opening bis, so after tax and s/h, I got them for around $3.13/book.

There was a package of 1961 White Sox picture Pak photos. Not sure if this was a generous gift or an oversight, so I reached out to the seller to see. if they were a toss in, I scored a nice bonus too! I think 1 is missing, as there are 11, but included HOFers Fox, Minoso, Aparicio, Wynn and Mgr Lopez.

....AND it looks like this was a mistake on his part. We'll see what he says, maybe my honesty and the cost to get them back vs what he is asking may be worth just letting me keep them?

Meet the Dodgers Lot.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Couple of the lesser seen (in Dodger uniform) players...Cruz Jr, Hairston Jr & Guerrier
Cruz Jr.jpgGuerrier.jpgHairston Jr.jpg

A batch of signed PCs. nobody really stands out, although Brett isn't super common on Dodger stuff. The lot was too cheap to pass up though. Dodger Au PC 1.jpgDodger Au PC 2.jpg

A batch of unsigned PCs (1959 Team). Dodger 59 PC.jpg

Garvey/Baker 6/25 insert. Overpaid...not sure how many more #6 cards I am going to be willing to pay a premium for. Used to be a small %. Not so much anymore though, between known Garvey collectors and plain crazy fools who seem to want to destroy the card market as it currently exists now!

Garv Baker 6-25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another Garvey Hostess. I keep grabbing these, because why not. Garvey Hostess.jpg

I have not spoken of this before, but a fellow Garvey collector introduced me to it via his blog. I figured I'd finally share. I thought I'd never get one after he shared that he found one. Turns out, a seller had a bunch of them and I have been picking them up every now and again. He doesn't assume and just lists it as a schedule, but my blogging Garvey buddy thinks, and I tend to agree, that Garvey is at the plate in this image. Makes for a neat, oddball Garvey collectible that is under the radar. Not to mention, this is a spring training schedule, so how many of this type of thing survives (unless you or someone you know grabbed a box of them!). s-l1600.jpg

Last item is another fun add. Some older Dodger players have seemingly unlimited certified autographs (Garvey, Sutton, Koufax, Snider, Podres, etc). Others can be quite scarce. Many probably don't have one unless you count a cut and some don't, but maybe have something with another team. This is where this purchase comes in. I don't know if Andy Carey had a Dodger auto (certified), but I highly doubt it. He played his final career season in LA in 1962, but didn't get a 1963 card. Luckily, he apparently joined the Dodgers early enough (March) to make the 1962 Topps set as one of those generic hatless head shot cards that were so popular in the 60s. Pretty sure that is a White Sox or A's jersey, given those were his teams in 1961, but by name it is a Dodger card. Don't think it was a Dodger uni though. s-l1600-1.jpg. I stumbled upon this 53 Heritage card and had to have it. I was not a real Heritage buyer when they first came out (darn it). Was happy to add this to the Dodger collection, despite the Yankee connection. Carey.jpg

Almost forgot this guy. This is a Dodger card but Texas by name. Reks didn't have a Dodger card in his brief appearance, but now has one for Texas. I'll take it. Reks.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a problem...at least I know it and try to stay on the bargain side (relatively speaking, of course) of purchases. Today was quite a haul and almost 100% Dodger.

Bellinger, Seager and Gonsolin Total Autos. These seem to be somewhat hard to find, as I had not run into any of them until the Gonsolin recently and that seller was asking $50! I wanted one, but noir for $50. I waited and it paid off. once again, Topps has a nice design for a lesser distributed set. Bellinger.jpgGonsolin.jpgSeager.jpg

Garvey Black Chrome /99. These are stupid expensive and this is the only one I have been able to land. I paid more than I wanted to for a /99, but this is also partly why I have let go. I am just not willing to spend to excess just to stay up with the Jones's. I can almost guarantee we'll look back at this Covid/Post-Covid era and all be mad at ourselves for spending so much on things. This really reminds of 2005. Garvey Black Chrome.jpg

Sheffield. I like the signed wood. It looks like a drop of moisture may have soiled the signature somewhat. It's /100 and I don't recall seeing it before, so I grabbed it. Sheffield.jpg

Podres. Podres.jpg

Been wanting one of these for a while. Kiki only had one other auto, as a Marlin. These have always been ultra expensive. I paid way too much for a guy like Hernandez, but it was still the cheapest I have seen one sell for yet. Would have preferred the one with green in the background, but think that is a lower serial number. Maybe later...Kiki.png

A pair of Perranoski. s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

These things went up a lot since last year. and i almost quit buying them because of it I have been buying 2 sets/year since I discovered them and have left them all sealed. I have 2007-2022, minus last year 2021 which I missed catching at the time that they didn't produce them apparently. I believe 2006 was the first year Topps did the factory team pack like this, but I have never been able to find any sealed Dodger sets from that year, although I know they sold them. If you see these in 2006 Dodgers, please let me know. I am not actively searching for them, so it would be easy to miss.Fac Dodger Topps set.jpg

The last two follow in the next post.

Members online