Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I love this odd-ball stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Odd-ball sports cards are fun to have. I have a few odd-ball packs of Topps cards from the 80's and 90's. I used to buy a few, and open one or two packs and keep the rest unopened. Some were test issue packs like the 1983 Michigan foil baseball pack. Or the 1977 Topps Mexican football packs. I'm not sure what the deal is with the 1985 graded pack is. It should be a red colored. Not white.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
My oddball sorting table and some of my oddball player binders.

Attachments

• D491DD9E-2D3F-41D8-ADD5-2950F82E6217.jpeg
    D491DD9E-2D3F-41D8-ADD5-2950F82E6217.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 23
  • AE301721-80F0-4F07-8C32-D1CD66BBA315.jpeg
    AE301721-80F0-4F07-8C32-D1CD66BBA315.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 7F2E8543-A05F-4489-B4DF-56BC45C78F2B.jpeg
    7F2E8543-A05F-4489-B4DF-56BC45C78F2B.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 23

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My oddball sorting table and some of my oddball player binders.
Is that still a pretty decent business for you? I know in the early days of ebay, guys like yourself were amazing to find. I recall a few sellers like BAM, Variety Kings, TS4U and some others really being a great way to fill holes in one spot. As more and more stuff filtered on and more sellers showed up, a lot of the harder to find oddball stuff became more readily available. Finding a decent selection of buyers for some of the lesser popular players probably takes time, but can be lucrative too, I suppose.

Someday I will be faced with either selling or breaking up boxes upon boxes of oddball sets. Nearly 45 years of accumulation, focused more on the odd rather than the mainstream sets and packs. I could probably fill a LOT of want lists when that time comes, if people are still looking by then!!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Odd-ball sports cards are fun to have. I have a few odd-ball packs of Topps cards from the 80's and 90's. I used to buy a few, and open one or two packs and keep the rest unopened. Some were test issue packs like the 1983 Michigan foil baseball pack. Or the 1977 Topps Mexican football packs. I'm not sure what the deal is with the 1985 graded pack is. It should be a red colored. Not white.

Never had much willpower to leave things unopened. I have a small collection of cheaper unopened things, and all my Garvey packs too of course.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Is that still a pretty decent business for you? I know in the early days of ebay, guys like yourself were amazing to find. I recall a few sellers like BAM, Variety Kings, TS4U and some others really being a great way to fill holes in one spot. As more and more stuff filtered on and more sellers showed up, a lot of the harder to find oddball stuff became more readily available. Finding a decent selection of buyers for some of the lesser popular players probably takes time, but can be lucrative too, I suppose.

Someday I will be faced with either selling or breaking up boxes upon boxes of oddball sets. Nearly 45 years of accumulation, focused more on the odd rather than the mainstream sets and packs. I could probably fill a LOT of want lists when that time comes, if people are still looking by then!!!
Lucrative? Not particularly. I could be doing much more productive things. I get a lot of enjoyment out of finding unique things and getting them into the hands of collectors though.

There are many advanced collectors that need very little from me, but there has been a resurgence of collectors that are coming back into the hobby and going back to fill in the missing oddball items.

For instance, I just had a Puckett collector get about 125 items from me and a Larkin collector just requested one of everything from my list.

I probably get about 60-70 visitors to my site on a daily basis, but I’m sure many are just looking through the checklists since I generally only get a few orders per week.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
I remember in the late 80's thru mid 90's ordering Ripken Jr. odd ball stuff. Spent a couple of
hundred dollars a month buying all kinds of stuff. If I thought they were rare or just nice, I would
order multiples. Lot of fun, but mostly unwanted and worthless now.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
Wow!! that was a quick response. I'll be checking it out in the coming weeks. Thanks

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I do have a soft spot for those 90s food issue brands, even the logoless MSA cards. In that one pic I see a 1992 Sunflower Seeds and under that appears to be a 1988 Chef Boyardee. Fun stuff and dirt cheap too.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Lucrative? Not particularly. I could be doing much more productive things. I get a lot of enjoyment out of finding unique things and getting them into the hands of collectors though.

There are many advanced collectors that need very little from me, but there has been a resurgence of collectors that are coming back into the hobby and going back to fill in the missing oddball items.

For instance, I just had a Puckett collector get about 125 items from me and a Larkin collector just requested one of everything from my list.

I probably get about 60-70 visitors to my site on a daily basis, but I’m sure many are just looking through the checklists since I generally only get a few orders per week.
I got quite a few Thomas items from you a couple years ago that I never even knew existed until I saw them listed! (y)(y) I need to visit again and take another gander...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is a new, old oddball set from the never released 2000 Cyberaction set.

Are those digital cards?

I know I was a customer of yours for some things, but it's probably been a while. Thomas and Garvey were the only players I went bonkers for with oddball, although I have dabbled in a lot of other players like Al Oliver, Carew, Maddux, Gonzo, Bonds, Lofton, Belle and some others in the 90s oddball "sweet spot" era.

I should revisit the Sports Feats too someday. You probably have a few more I still need if you kept grabbing them like you were.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Are those digital cards?

I know I was a customer of yours for some things, but it's probably been a while. Thomas and Garvey were the only players I went bonkers for with oddball, although I have dabbled in a lot of other players like Al Oliver, Carew, Maddux, Gonzo, Bonds, Lofton, Belle and some others in the 90s oddball "sweet spot" era.

I should revisit the Sports Feats too someday. You probably have a few more I still need if you kept grabbing them like you were.
They were digital cards, but were never released. The discs are pretty rare. A guy that does customs had an old laptop that could read the discs and he made custom cards.

Members online