Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 2022-New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Looks like I get to start us once again.

Walt Hazzard or Mahdi Abdul-Rahman if you prefer. Love that he got a card. He wasn't exactly a big time name from those 70s Sonics! Hazzard.png

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Today's mail is a card I really thought I'd never see or even own.

1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Billy Williams Unredeemed - Billy was lucky enough to be the card Playoff chose to be the exchange card for the Koufax refractors in the set. This is only the second copy I've seen that wasn't redeemed and isn't stamped Redeemed across the picture on the back. The only other copy I've seen the signature was badly, badly faded and I passed on it since I was selling my set anyway. This one popped up this week and I couldn't buy it fast enough. I included a picture of the back of a Redeemed copy as well. I don't know how rare it really is but it doesn't show up often. I'm glad to have it because my rebuilt set will be even better than the original build I no longer have.
Billy Williams Redemption Front.jpg Billy Williams Redemption Back.jpg Billy Williams Redeemed Back.jpg

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Those 1998 Significant Signatures were always classy looking. They held up well with the passage of time.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
090222.jpg
2021 Panini Illusions Lamar Jackson/Trent Dilfer 1/5 completes the rainbow with the /25, /10, and 1/1 versions I already had. The 2002 Topps Gold Cory Lidle was one of the two 2001-2021 A's Topps Gold parallels I did not have - it's a tough one for whatever reason. Very happy to pick that up, just one more to locate now. And the 2022 Topps Matt Olson helmet card is just neat-o.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
View attachment 341472
2021 Panini Illusions Lamar Jackson/Trent Dilfer 1/5 completes the rainbow with the /25, /10, and 1/1 versions I already had. The 2002 Topps Gold Cory Lidle was one of the two 2001-2021 A's Topps Gold parallels I did not have - it's a tough one for whatever reason. Very happy to pick that up, just one more to locate now. And the 2022 Topps Matt Olson helmet card is just neat-o.
Which 2002 Topps Gold are you still missing?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Which 2002 Topps Gold are you still missing?

The Lidle was the last 2002 I needed, the only remaining Topps Gold I need is from 2007 Update. I don't want to blab what it is in case some jerk is reading and finds one and jacks the price up, but it's a total common.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today was a non-Dodger day all around, except for some contracts. I am going to feature one here though.

This is signed by Jim Ray Hart and Gabe Paul, as well as Talbot Smith. Smith spent about 30 years with the Astros. Got a couple Yankee contracts with a plethora of Paul autos and a few carbons, but mostly real ink. There is also one signed by former Brave AS pitcher Jim Wilson, who died in 1987. A couple A's contracts too, but the Charlie Finley are secretarial. s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

McCovey. McCovey.jpg

Mazeroski /10. I realized I didn't have a certified Maz, so I remedied that. Maz 10.jpg

Freeman. Like the design of this set a lot. A. Freeman.jpg

Jim Marshall RC, one of the famous Purple People Eaters!

Marshall RC.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
McCovey. McCovey.jpg. Maz /10. Maz 10.jpg

Got a bunch of contracts with some cool content and signatures. Maybe the best was this one with Gabe Paul, Jim Ray Hart and Talbot "Tal" Smith signatures. One had Jim Wilson, who was a 1X AS pitcher for the Braves in the 50s, who died somewhat young in 1987. 2 A's contracts had Charlie O. Finley, but those were secretarial unfortunately. s-l1600-1 9.40.48 PM.jpgs-l1600 9.40.48 PM.jpg

A. Freeman. A. Freeman.jpg

Purple People Eater RC of Jim Marshall. Marshall RC.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The Greats of the Game train just keeps chugging along with four more in the mail today. I've been working on the set less than a month and I'm a third of the way done. I know quick progress will stop soon but I'll enjoy big chunks of the set showing up each day while I can.

Bucky Dent.jpgHank Bauer.jpgLou Pinella.jpgSam Jethroe.jpg

Couple more 1995 Ultra Rising Stars for that set
3 Drew Bledsoe.jpg9 Eric Turner.jpg

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Today's mail is a card I really thought I'd never see or even own.

1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Billy Williams Unredeemed - Billy was lucky enough to be the card Playoff chose to be the exchange card for the Koufax refractors in the set. This is only the second copy I've seen that wasn't redeemed and isn't stamped Redeemed across the picture on the back. The only other copy I've seen the signature was badly, badly faded and I passed on it since I was selling my set anyway. This one popped up this week and I couldn't buy it fast enough. I included a picture of the back of a Redeemed copy as well. I don't know how rare it really is but it doesn't show up often. I'm glad to have it because my rebuilt set will be even better than the original build I no longer have.
View attachment 341459 View attachment 341460 View attachment 341461

Have you ever seen a blank back Koufax?

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Awesome pickups! Enjoy seeing the mix of HOFers. The 2001 base GOTG set was the first complete set I bought when started collecting again in 2002-2003. My favorite thing at the time were the career stats on the back.

As a lefty, I've toyed with the idea of collecting left-handed half of famers -- both batting and throwing in some capacity. I may also include switch hitters who threw lefty. Perhaps, postwar autographs and prewar vintage cards. There is a nice mix of players/years, including Ruth and Gehrig, Griffey, McCovey and some ***** League Stars.

Going to see if I can aim for all sports... football, hockey and basketball. Biggest name in the news lately is Bill Russell, but there are others that are really affordable.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Have you ever seen a blank back Koufax?
I haven't. I've seen some really oddball stuff out there with the leftover Koufax cards that weren't redeemed though.

In 2005 Playoff did a BGS slabbed Executive Edition of the Koufax Refractor that is numbered out of 25 so they had at least that many left over that weren't redeemed. I wouldn't mind owning one of those since I know it's a legit buyback/reissue type situation.

There is also a 1/1 floating around the has zero provenance that I'm pretty sure is a damage replacement copy someone bought and stamped 1/1. It popped up on eBay last year for a stupid price (22k if I remember right) and I tried to get the story of it from the seller but he just kept referring me to companies I've never heard of for info about it. He sent it to REA this last auction cycle and it didn't get put in the auction, not surprisingly. He gave me a story about a Donruss employee he spoke with that said they put 1/1s in packs in 1998 and didn't publicize it but couldn't tell me the employee's name or explain why none of the other 1/1s have shown up in the last 25 years. It's slabbed by BGS but the cert # checks back to a regular Koufax refractor /2,000. I'm not sure if the slab is fake or if BGS just wasn't paying attention but either way it's shady as all get out.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Epic mail week, perhaps due to his number retirement.

1998 Fleer Tradition #40 Vintage Classic Paul O'Neill #/63 -- Has an understated elegance. Gold, green and white... reminds me of the Wimbledon colors. I like how the front is logo-less, I wish the Topps Heritage cards stayed true to the original sets and omitted the Heritage logo on the front.

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

2000 Black Diamond Rookie Edition Authentic Pinstripes #JWO-J Paul O'Neill, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams #/100 -- One of the tougher multiplayer cards on O'Neill's checklist. Thankfully, not many more like this.

s-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpg

2000 Fleer Showcase Legacy #87 Paul O'Neill #/20 -- Never thought I would come across this one. Another card with an understated elegance, just stunning in person.

s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Big mail day today thanks to the holiday causing packages to stack up at the post office

2004 Studio Private Signings Silver Rookie Auto /100 - The base of this card is my absolute favorite Yadier rookie card so adding an auto made sense.
2004 Studio Private Signings Silver SGC 8.5-10.jpg

2005 Zenith Z-Gold SGC 9.5 - These were a retail only insert in 2005 and can be tough to find. A 9.5 with all those black edges made me happy.
2005 Zenith Z-Gold Yadier Molina SGC 9.5.jpg

2001 Greats of the Game set build pickups:
Bobby Bonds.jpgJoe Niekro.jpgRon Cey.jpgRoger Craig.jpgGeorge Kell.jpg

1998 Donruss Significant Signatures set pickups:
Stan Musial.jpgRalph Kiner Black Ink.jpg

2003 Donruss Classics Timeless Tribute /100 Albert Pujols - It's not a rookie but I'll take early career Pujols # to 100 or less any time.
2003 Donruss Classics Timeless Tributes Gold Albert Pujols.jpg