Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

‘22 and 23 Topps Cosmic Chrome thread…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Been looking forward to this set.

Gonna be a heckuva tough set to complete.

Not sure how I’m gonna attack it, but would love to see some results and pics…

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I don't see how anyone, without deep pockets, can truly be busting this. Especially the very casual collector like myself. Singles on eBaY at best. Its nearly $3,000 for a case. 12 boxes per case. 4 autos per case. To be close to breaking even, your 4 autos need to be worth around $750 each.... I know this isn't including singles and low numbered stuff, but that's insane, imho.

But I will say this stuff looks cool, really cool. I will be watching some breaks on YouTube and possibly looking at some singles.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Those Nucleus Refractor cards are supposedly "case" hits but not really.... but they are... and are limited to 100 copies... though they aren't numbered... That's something at least, you could hit a big player, hopefully.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Pre-orders for 2023 Topps Cosmic Chrome are up on Blowout. $399.99 per hobby box. I am assuming like last year, it's 12 boxes per case (as I can't find case pre-sales). That would put a case of this at around $4,800. I think 2022 was at around $3,000 per case. Still, 4 autos per case. That means instead of being $750 per auto like in 2022, the price point on each auto jumps to $1,200. That's absolutely insane.

With breakers all over social channels, the Fanatics app launching.... are we just seeing the Hobby become break buy in focused? Unless you have money to burn, I don't know how else the casual collector/breaker gets back into the hobby. I love breaking boxes, love it, it's fun to me, but I have barely been able to buy anything the last couple of years and I make decent money. Has the casual breaker been killed off and now you're choices are singles on ebay or buy-ins for random teams?

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Overall 2023 production seems way up.

But Planetary inserts are nuts…
IMG_4404.jpegproduction numbers seem way up.

Almost doubled.

But Planetary inserts are nuts…

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Pre-orders for 2023 Topps Cosmic Chrome are up on Blowout. $399.99 per hobby box. I am assuming like last year, it's 12 boxes per case (as I can't find case pre-sales). That would put a case of this at around $4,800. I think 2022 was at around $3,000 per case. Still, 4 autos per case. That means instead of being $750 per auto like in 2022, the price point on each auto jumps to $1,200. That's absolutely insane.

With breakers all over social channels, the Fanatics app launching.... are we just seeing the Hobby become break buy in focused? Unless you have money to burn, I don't know how else the casual collector/breaker gets back into the hobby. I love breaking boxes, love it, it's fun to me, but I have barely been able to buy anything the last couple of years and I make decent money. Has the casual breaker been killed off and now you're choices are singles on ebay or buy-ins for random teams?
I gave up box breaking a long time ago. I would still love to do it, because as you say, it's fun. It's like opening a Christmas present with each pack. Sadly, the cost of boxes even then was too much for me to feel as though it was worth it. I wouldn't even consider buying a box now at current prices. Singles on ebay for new stuff or just get out of new cards all together is my feeling. I really seriously wonder who (or if anyone) will be there to buy these singles from anyone in 20 years?

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I gave up box breaking a long time ago. I would still love to do it, because as you say, it's fun. It's like opening a Christmas present with each pack. Sadly, the cost of boxes even then was too much for me to feel as though it was worth it. I wouldn't even consider buying a box now at current prices. Singles on ebay for new stuff or just get out of new cards all together is my feeling. I really seriously wonder who (or if anyone) will be there to buy these singles from anyone in 20 years?

I have no clue who will be around collecting these things. I can't even fathom Basketball prices for Rookies. Thousands of dollars are spent on Panini Sticker autos of guys who have barely been in the league, or have yet to play a single quarter. I feel like these prices are higher than baseball rookies.

I have decided to shift all my focus on collecting single autos of players I love and enjoy, most recently landed my first Ichiro auto for $150 from the 2011 Leaf Valiant set (beautiful set imo). Was overjoyed to pay that price. How many cases/boxes would I have had to buy to be able to land an Ichiro auto?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have no clue who will be around collecting these things. I can't even fathom Basketball prices for Rookies. Thousands of dollars are spent on Panini Sticker autos of guys who have barely been in the league, or have yet to play a single quarter. I feel like these prices are higher than baseball rookies.

I have decided to shift all my focus on collecting single autos of players I love and enjoy, most recently landed my first Ichiro auto for $150 from the 2011 Leaf Valiant set (beautiful set imo). Was overjoyed to pay that price. How many cases/boxes would I have had to buy to be able to land an Ichiro auto?
That should be every collectors mindset, collect what they enjoy and don't worry about the values in the future. It's hard not to at least think about them when cards you pull from packs can be worth $100s or $1000s, but in the end, its a hobby. There are no guarantees of anything holding or growing in value.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple decades of collecting what appeals to me. I still hope to be able to sell most of it, since I don't seem to have kids interested in taking over for me. I hope that there is still a market for them when the time comes. Meanwhile, I still get thrilled opening a package to find some cheap, obscure Dodger autograph that only a handful of people would care about.

Members online