Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Possible New Hobby Discovery - South American Sticker/Stamp Book with stars!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just shared this in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. A fellow Garvey collector obtained this album when he bought it for the Concepcion and was "pleasantly surprised" to find a Garvey that was unknown to either of us. I am guessing these date to 1979 or 1980, based on images seen. The Garvey is almost a dead ringer for his Studio One poster, which I'll share in the 2nd post. Here they are in their glory!

I hope he keeps the album intact, but would love to see some player collectors have a shot at these too, if he decides to break it up. I know I am SOL in this case, so I have no incentive to fight for a break up.
IMG_2598.PNGIMG_2597.PNGIMG_2599.PNGIMG_2601.PNGIMG_2600.PNGIMG_2610.PNGIMG_2611.PNGIMG_2613.PNGIMG_2612.PNGIMG_2614.PNG

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think the 100 catcher is Bo Diaz, but I don't know what the "A Grif--" name is supposed to indicate. No players with a name like that played catcher in that era, far as I can tell.

Barry Foote is also a strong contender. Can you imagine the Phillies had Foote and Diaz consecutively as their backups for Bob Boone? Were they mandated to have a beefy mustache guy?

I also had never heard of Harry Ghappas, so I thought it was a made up or horribly spelled name. Turns out he was a real guy named Harry Chappas on the cover of SI, from which the image was lifted.
rry-chappas-march-19-1979-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Wonderful find. Maybe post on Net54, they have some guys with knowledge of really obscure issues.

stevegarveyfan

Jan 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Fast forward a few months, and these are just back from SGC. With great care I was able to clumsily remove several of the "stickers" from the album, albeit with an excess of 40-year-old hardened--and probably petrified--glue clinging firmly to each. I knew that if they were graded, each would receive a grade of 1. I was not wrong. But I think they look very nice.

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 137 Linea (Steve Garvey) SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 119 George Brett SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 103 Dave Concepcion SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 89 Nolan Rayan SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 104 Ron Guidry SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 126 Carl Yastrzemski SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 139 Reggie Jackson De Roling SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 143 Frank Robinson SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

1980s El Mundo del Beisbol 105 Joe Morgan SGC 1 pic 1.jpg

stevegarveyfan

Jan 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Going with just what was printed on the sticker, rather than the actual player names is amusing. Is that just a policy for items they can't identify?
I think it's interesting too. However, SGC knows what it is, as I showed them the album they all came from originally, with the stickers still attached. The only thing we don't know is the exact year. But yes, I wish they would have labeled these with the correct names.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Welch was a rookie in 1978 so that's the earliest.
I'm inclined to guess 1981-1985 Fernandomania range
Reminds me of the Venezulan sticker albums
sport-grafico.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think it's interesting too. However, SGC knows what it is, as I showed them the album they all came from originally, with the stickers still attached. The only thing we don't know is the exact year. But yes, I wish they would have labeled these with the correct names.
What, you don't like that the Garvey label is using his nickname "Linea"?

Members online

Latest posts