Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Therion's All Time Astros Autograph Collection (980 Reached!! 22 To Go!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Two upgrades since my last update.

IMG_9743 (1).jpg
Brock Davis via TTM. This is an upgrade from an index card.

IMG_9744 (1).jpg
Rafael Montalvo via TTM. This is an upgrade from a Minor League card.

Both of these seemed like lost causes a year ago. Brock Davis signs pretty regularly, but he failed to return five previous attempts. Persistence pays off. Montalvo seemingly disappeared years ago but has appeared *in Houston* recently, so I gave it a shot. The Montalvo is a Photoshop job.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Pretty big update this time. Three upgrades and a new addition.

IMG_9826 (1).jpg
Kevin Cash obtained in Spring Training through a dealer.

IMG_9827 (1).jpg
Morgan Ensberg. I already had him on an Astros card, but I'll always do a multi-signed card to upgrade.

IMG_9825 (1).jpg
Gary Majewski via TTM. I found out that he works at a D-Bats facility and gave it a shot.

IMG_9828 (1).jpg
David Hensley. This is the new addition and his only card in Series 1, not even base cards!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
A pretty good week for me, one upgrade and one knocked off the needs list!

IMG_9961.jpg
Juan Centeno, upgrade from a signature card. This was obtained in a commission during Spring Training.

IMG_9962.jpg
Ryne Stanek knocked off the needs list. This was also obtained in Spring Training.

I'm hoping with Spring Training winding down, I will have a few more knocked off the needs list.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
2 new Astros debuted: Jose Abreu and Corey Julks, which upped my needs list by two.

But a GREAT mailday today actually caused the number to drop because I have one upgrade and THREE new additions.

First, the upgrade from an index card.

IMG_9997.jpg
Felix Mantilla. He started signing TTM again, but his only Astros card is an expensive high series card. I lucked out and found an unsigned copy for $3.

The three new additions were all obtained in Spring Training.

IMG_9996.jpg
Chase DeJong, he had a brief and useful run with the Astros.

IMG_9994 (1).jpg
Seth Martinez. Still a solid reliever for the Astros, but one of those guys that may never get an official card.

IMG_9995.jpg
Brooks Raley. He was with the team for two years and was okay-to-terrible.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nice score on Mantilla. Do you have an Aaron Pointer signed card? He is in the same boat. 67 High#. He lives in Tacoma, somewhat close to me. I got him through the mail after I saw an article in the local paper talking about his very interesting life. Had to find a cheap card first and it took a bit, but he was fast on the return.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Nice score on Mantilla. Do you have an Aaron Pointer signed card? He is in the same boat. 67 High#. He lives in Tacoma, somewhat close to me. I got him through the mail after I saw an article in the local paper talking about his very interesting life. Had to find a cheap card first and it took a bit, but he was fast on the return.
I still need Pointer on an Astros card. Both guys on that card sign, but it is an EXPENSIVE card!

I sent him a custom at some point, but it never came back.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if his health changed or maybe his signing habits? I agree, that card was a toughie for me to find at a reasonable price. Not as bad as the Grant Jackson/Bart Shirley 1966 Hi# SP though. Would like to get that signed by Shirley, but can't risk losing that card! The king for me would be the Rose RC with Ken McMullen also on it. Don't even own the card itself, let alone a signed one.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

Hopefully you live in a decent part of Tacoma.. My brother and I have been trying to get our parents to move out of South Tacoma (74th and I-5 area).. Mom just turned 84 and dad will be 86 in June.
They both said they didn't want to move. I graduated from Mount Tahoma (before they moved the school where Flett Dairy used to be)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Oh Nooooo...I don't live in Tacoma! "Somewhat close" is relative and aimed at someone out of State who wouldn't necessarily know Tacoma from Tenino. I live east of Everett, which has it's crappy areas too.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Oh Nooooo...I don't live in Tacoma! "Somewhat close" is relative and aimed at someone out of State who wouldn't necessarily know Tacoma from Tenino. I live east of Everett, which has it's crappy areas too.
Most people that live out of state don't know any other city other than Seattle. I constantly have to say I lived near Seattle.. How many people could even pronounce Puyallup. Now I say I live near Disneyland since everyone knows where Disneyland is or an hour south of Los Angeles. :)

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Most people that live out of state don't know any other city other than Seattle. I constantly have to say I lived near Seattle.. How many people could even pronounce Puyallup. Now I say I live near Disneyland since everyone knows where Disneyland is or an hour south of Los Angeles. :)
I lived in Fife for 5-6 months in 1987. Loved it there back then. No idea what it's like there now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have lived pretty much only lived North of Seattle (East & West too, but never IN Seattle) including Redmond, Bellevue, Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Bothell and Lake Stevens, so my only knowledge of the south end is from driving around for work.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Therion, to discuss Washington geography.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've been down south in Auburn (home of a portion of COMC's operations!) for 15 years. My back fence is actually the King/Pierce County line. Originally from central California, which explains the A's and Trent Dilfer collections. My mom and sisters live in Tacoma...because my sisters have been sponging off of her for 20 years of their adult lives so that's how you end up in Tacoma. So I'm not offended by the Tacoma disparagement...when I visit them I make sure to leave before dark.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I've been down south in Auburn (home of a portion of COMC's operations!) for 15 years. My back fence is actually the King/Pierce County line. Originally from central California, which explains the A's and Trent Dilfer collections. My mom and sisters live in Tacoma...because my sisters have been sponging off of her for 20 years of their adult lives so that's how you end up in Tacoma. So I'm not offended by the Tacoma disparagement...when I visit them I make sure to leave before dark.
There are great areas of Tacoma too, but for those following along: Tacoma is situated along the I-5 freeway and is the poorer southern step brother of Seattle and the "Tac" from Sea-Tac airport that you'd fly into Seattle through (actually in the City of Seatac, which has its own issues). Point Ruston and the hill area above it are amazing, at least for views and proximity to the water. Not sure if the Tacoma crime bleeds into those areas much.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Two upgrades this week.

IMG_0022.jpg
Gary Kroll upgrade from an index card. This is a Real One auto that I have never seen at a reasonable price. Someone offered me up one for trade, so I jumped on it.

IMG_0023.jpg
Vincent Velasquez upgraded from a single-signed card. I didn't have this on my list of needing upgraded, but y'all are probably very aware that I can't resist a multi-signed card, even if the other autos aren't Astros.

Members online

Latest posts