Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
This Hodges fooled me at first. It looked really clean, then I saw some creasing. I bid appropriately, as i don't buy many regular vintage cards anymore these days. I got most of what i wanted and could afford BEFORE prices spiked even more. This is a really cool card, somewhat like the Reese from the same set. The Schaefer Beer scoreboard in the background confirms Gil was in Ebbetts Field and adds to the coolness. I had a couple copies of this card already. Definitely better looking than one and maybe a little worse than the other. I would love to have this card signed!
View attachment 346398

I think this may be his only certified auto card. I have been trying to get one for a while, ever since I found out about it. It felt like a price fixing scheme, as ever single one I found was priced quite high for a player of Mayne's caliber. I finally found one that was BIN/BO and the seller even offered free shipping! Got it at a nicer price. Score. Mayne had a rather plain 14 year career, bouncing around to several teams, finally landing in LA for a couple months of his final season in 2004. he appeared in 47 games for the Dodgers and hit an unimpressive .188. One of 4 catchers on their roster that year, I am not sure if he backed up starter Lo Duca or maybe replaced him during an injury. He logged in more games than other back-up catchers David Ross and Tom Wilson though in his 2+ months of service.

View attachment 346399

This is my big addition of the day. Known much better as a the long time Tigers voice, this man started his long time MLB HOF broadcasting career with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1948. He was actually traded to the Dodgers from the independent AA Atlanta Crackers for MLB player Cliff Dapper! He was brought in to temporarily replace Red Barber while he recovered from an ulcer. He broadcast for the Dodgers for 2 years until moving on to the Giants and Orioles before landing in Detroit in 1960, where he remained until he retired in 2002, minus a brief stop in 1992 for the Angels. I had not yet discovered the Archives brand and my love for the obscure autographs they offer when this set was released. Harwell's popularity kept this a high demand card and that just grew after he died in 2010. After I learned he was a one time Dodger broadcaster, that sealed it. I had to have one! I paid dearly for it, but now I have it. i do love the 68 design as well, which makes sense due to their WS win that year and especially glad it wasn't the 1984 design.

2002 Topps Archives Ernie Harwell. View attachment 346400
I had my eye on that Harwell. I even bid on it. Glad to know you got it. Great card!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had my eye on that Harwell. I even bid on it. Glad to know you got it. Great card!
Thanks for not making me pay more! Next one is yours.

Garvey has a bunch of these MS fundraiser programs for different sports and such. Had not seen this one yet, plus autographed on cover. Garv tennis.png

Got this via COMC auction, so it was transferred to the port. Not buying much there recently, so may be a while before I see it. /18. 18.jpg

Garvey /50. s-l1600.jpg

Leaf relic /6. Dodgers/Indians match-up. Garv relic 6 F.jpgGarv relic 6 b.jpg

Vero Beach Brochure from 1980 featuring Garvey inside. Vero Sched.jpg

Reese GU from one of my favorite GU sets made. Reese.jpg

The rest were from a TTM/IP seller. Tried to pick some of the more obscure and lesser seen guys, most of which didn't make much of a splash. Have to split the post. russ mitchell.jpgmike ram.jpgjamie hoffman.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Like many of our resident team autograph collectors, opening Day is a day to refocus out collecting interest. I am lucky in that the players the Dodgers added so far were players I had already sought out for other reasons. The only one I need to check to make sure I have is David Peralta. I may need to add him to the list.

Mookie Betts continues to be my thorn in the side need. A couple guys from recent years also remain elusive or too expensive at the moment, including Justin Bruihl, Darien Nunez and (too generic named foran ebay search) Chris Martin. If you have any leads or can directly help with any of my Dodger needs, I am much obliged for the assistance. Couple new names on the 40 man roster, as well but taking those slow unless they are home grown players and have a Dodger card already.

Today brings only this LoDuca card and a Garvey parallel to /99. s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Almost forgot this stupid piece of crap! 1/1...ha. POS is what it is. I won it for a buck! The relic looks to be some sort of magazine or newspaper clipping that doesn't even mention Garvey, not that it would even help make it any less stupid. It might make more sense that the "relic" mentions Garvey, but alas it does not. The shipping almost made it not worth buying. It was my lone item yesterday. s-l1600-2.jpg

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
Those Bar things are so weird. Do you have any Jersey Fusion?

Almost forgot this stupid piece of crap! 1/1...ha. POS is what it is. I won it for a buck! The relic looks to be some sort of magazine or newspaper clipping that doesn't even mention Garvey, not that it would even help make it any less stupid. It might make more sense that the "relic" mentions Garvey, but alas it does not. The shipping almost made it not worth buying. It was my lone item yesterday. View attachment 346563

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Don't come out on top for many of these anymore (and am OK with that), but this is a Leaf 1/1. s-l1600.png

Neuse /99. Neuse.jpg

Pair of Melhuse TTM/IP autos.He does have a SR certified card too, which is cool. Have not seen any Dodger cards, he may not even have one. He had 1 AB in a single game for the Dodgers in 2000. That was his MLB debut as a 28 year old rookie. He was hitless, striking out.

I love the fact that some people will get anyone to sign a card. Great to have these available, since he is not a household name.

s-l1600-1.jpgMelhusex2 McCullough.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Melhuse is well remembered by A's fans for his 4-year stint as a backup catcher. I checked and he doesn't have a Dodgers card, but he did make it into an Albuquerque Dukes team set.

Oh and unfortunately he doesn't have a Signature Rookies auto, it's Royal Rookies. One of the most dreadful sets ever produced, though his card isn't as bad as some of them are.

melhuseadam00royalrookies.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Melhuse is well remembered by A's fans for his 4-year stint as a backup catcher. I checked and he doesn't have a Dodgers card, but he did make it into an Albuquerque Dukes team set.

Oh and unfortunately he doesn't have a Signature Rookies auto, it's Royal Rookies. One of the most dreadful sets ever produced, though his card isn't as bad as some of them are.

View attachment 346648
haha, SR and RR are almost interchangeable, but cool that both provided for certified autos of obscure guys. I did like the Tetrad stuff SR did though and that one issue that let you earn points and buy cards that way. I don't remember the exact name now, but had some decent looking cards.

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012

View attachment 346648

one in with Dodger ties. Candy Man /18. View attachment 346682
He's got a nice signature.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yeager patch that I have already, but I just couldn't pass on another at a good price. No other Dodgers or anyone else that I have seen with a similar type issue. Would love to find a Garvey like this to exist someday, but for now, Yeager is it. s-l1600-1.jpg

Podres Archives s-l1600-7.jpg

Munoz, another guy I can't win a Bowman regular, but this one was easy. Like Ramos the other day, I bet both of their Bowman cards will be a few dollars within the next year. I hate to say it, but Dodger prospects of late haven't really panned out into greatness other than maybe Urias. s-l1600-8.jpg

Gonsolin /25. s-l1600-3.jpg

Bought out a seller who had 5 of these sets at just under $3 each. The most recent sets seem to be a bit tougher to find than the 80s and early-mid 90s sets. He packaged them loose in a box (i could hear them moving when I was trying to open it and I just hoped it was something wrapped up properly), which sucks, but upon closer examination upon receipt, I see that 4 of the 5 sets have the coach card signed by Manny Mota, bottom right corner. The 5th one looks like he tried, but the pen wasn't working. 4 autograph surprise deal, so helps me forgive the poor packaging. s-l1600-6.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today was a good Dodger mail day, with an interesting item I'll end with.

This Leaf 4X is /10. s-l500.jpg

Jose Ramos. JR.jpg

Podsednik /25. I may already have this, but I stopped logging in these when I won them, which is a bad idea if you want to avoid dupes! I'll remind you Scott played for the Dodgers briefly in 2010 (39 games). He was a 1X AS in his 11 year career, as well as runner up NL ROY to Dontrell Willis in 2003.Podsednik 25.jpg

Here is the interesting piece, that I probably would have overlooked had the seller not spelled it out in the listing. To my knowledge, I have all of the manufacture issued Cachets made for Garvey, so I am not really looking hard at these. It's a great way to get some cheaper, "certified" autographs of a lot of players. These were pretty popular in the 80s and lots of really good players signed them.

Here is the ERROR cachet that I won: Garv.jpg

Here are the two CORRECT cachets that combined to make the error: Garv Cor.jpgGarv Cor 2.jpg

For those who don't want to do any work to get the answer or can't spot it, the image for the ironman cachet was erroneously used for the consecutive streak cachet.

Now I have to wonder how many of these were made like this. This COULD be fairly scarce, not that anyone but me would care much at all.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Finding it easier to buy some of the "older" new Garvey issues lately. Artificially inflated prices from before perhaps or maybe many of those overpaying ********* have moved on? Whatever the reason, I am happy to grab a few more that eluded me before. This one is /70. s-l1600.png

s-l1600-1.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have thought the same, but never really looked closely at it. I have 3 or 4 of his signed cards and they all look the same, so it's how he apparently signs his name. It does look like several letters repeat themselves in that last part of the signature though.

I do believe that some people in Latin American countries use additional names that we may "leave off" in American. Perhaps that signature includes portions of his name that are not recognized here or its more of a nickname signature? Just a stab in the dark. Take Manny Mota, for example. Clearly he signs Manny Mota, but look at his full name according to BB Ref.

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 5.42.09 PM.png

Today brings another Leaf multi-signature card. This one is /5. Funny, in the late 80s/early 90s, this would have been considered a sure thing 4 HOF card. Now it's just a 50% HOF card and will likely remain that way forever sadly.4X 5.jpg

Also got this Garvey /50. s-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sucker purchase. Basically a 3x5 card, but since it's actually a manufactured product, it sells for more. I do like the autographed piece, which is why I bought it. Had one from the set already that was just a plain 3x5. At least this one had a small picture as well.

s-l1600-5.jpg

Latest posts