Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
OK, here's a fun and weird one. 2003 Fleer Platinum -- these two-sided checklists were pack inserts. Rickey is shown on the back, under the Nameplates section... EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER PRODUCED THAT CARD! How poor is your quality control that you can't even get the checklist to match the cards that were actually in the set? (nor could they be bothered with even alphabetizing the list of cards under the Nameplates header) :ROFLMAO:

thumbnail_IMG_7407.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7408.jpg

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Ahh, that was you who went after that one. It was an interesting item for sure. Still can see the swagger in his eyes though. :)

When I saw the clarity and the “Rick + Pamela” chain, I had to give it a go! This must be 1979 I believe. It’s fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
OK, here's a fun and weird one. 2003 Fleer Platinum -- these two-sided checklists were pack inserts. Rickey is shown on the back, under the Nameplates section... EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER PRODUCED THAT CARD! How poor is your quality control that you can't even get the checklist to match the cards that were actually in the set? (nor could they be bothered with even alphabetizing the list of cards under the Nameplates header) :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 346881View attachment 346882

Would have been a fun card! Bummer. Will now add that to my collection as a placeholder. Thanks for sharing it!

Last edited:

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Todays Rickey Henderson PC swag honors MLB Jackie Robinson Day with this shiny and perfect 2014 Panini America “42” Prizm parallel incredibly #’d 42/42! This one is special, just like Jackie was…#rickeyhenderson #thehobby

8aba476db10c8178e12f7d05c180958a.jpg
a4c9db67d4dbfb5242c831d0ff3f6b32.jpg

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
I like to think that Jackie Robinson could have stolen 100 bases if he was a contemporary of Rickey. Raines and Coleman were good competitors but JR would've been more on Rickey's level. The SB Leaders cards every year would be fun with Jackie in the NL and Rickey in the AL. :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Shame on Pinnacle for not including Rickey in the 1996 Skylines set…
In the 90s, I would always be disappointed if Frank Thomas was not in an insert set, as he was my primary player collection then. There are certainly inserts that would have been looked great with him included, but I also realize that he wasn't a fit for each set too. I am thinking you would have liked to see Henderson in the skylines set because he is a favorite, but he clearly didn't fit in that set at the time. That set was mostly the hottest hitters at the time. 37 year old RH might have looked a bit out of place.

I am glad he was included in some autographed sets when he made his brief Dodgers appearance though, despite hardly being a player worthy at that time in his career. I also see that he was 3-3 with steals for them, the only team/season he was never caught!

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
In the 90s, I would always be disappointed if Frank Thomas was not in an insert set, as he was my primary player collection then. There are certainly inserts that would have been looked great with him included, but I also realize that he wasn't a fit for each set too. I am thinking you would have liked to see Henderson in the skylines set because he is a favorite, but he clearly didn't fit in that set at the time. That set was mostly the hottest hitters at the time. 37 year old RH might have looked a bit out of place.

I am glad he was included in some autographed sets when he made his brief Dodgers appearance though, despite hardly being a player worthy at that time in his career. I also see that he was 3-3 with steals for them, the only team/season he was never caught!

The players would have been chosen based off their 1995 stats and Rickey hit .300 - but I am more disappointed in that an insert like that should of included a player from each team over their home city Skyline. Rickey would have represented the A’s in my opinion over McGwire. Rickey is literally Oakland blood.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Skylines was a series 2 insert and Rickey had a card in the base Pinnacle series 2 set, on the Padres. I agree in hindsight a Rickey A's Skylines card would have been awesome, the timing just didn't work out. If he was still on the A's there's a chance he could have made it into the set, I mean Wade Boggs was in it and he's older than Rickey.

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Skylines was a series 2 insert and Rickey had a card in the base Pinnacle series 2 set, on the Padres. I agree in hindsight a Rickey A's Skylines card would have been awesome, the timing just didn't work out. If he was still on the A's there's a chance he could have made it into the set, I mean Wade Boggs was in it and he's older than Rickey.

Agreed. That’s what is so fun about amazing custom cards these days. I can have exactly what I want created and make it perfect to my liking….and can fix those wrongs from any set/insert.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
COLLECTION MILESTONE ALERT!!

With my mail day today, I have now achieved the following milestones in my Rickey Henderson collection:

500th Rickey item that is serial numbered 10 or less
200th
Rickey item that is serial numbered 5 or less

(and if you include cards with a stated print run in addition to serial numbers, I have also achieved this milestone):
2,000th Rickey item where there are 50 or less in existence
3,000th
Rickey item where there are 200 or less in existence

I'm probably going to slow down or stop collecting for a while. Just wanted to share and hope everyone is staying healthy and happy.

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Happy Mother’s Day! I can’t think of a better way to celebrate today than with this super fun Mother’s Cookies themed custom I had made to honor Bobbie (and Rickey of course)! Yes, that is a real frosted Mother’s Cookie embedded into this 360 pt. card and note all the fun little details on the back as well. This project was a blast, on many levels, and I hope brings a smile to you all.edcbb967c33e28eedcd31e44d9d3f7ff.jpg
5e9a9ce48692519538d4d477258c29cf.jpg
5b95b755c374f393e9c6a17468ebe7fa.jpg

Members online