Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Today's conspiracy theory: ebay seller mwheeler27 is actually Bryan Price!

I doubt that's true, but considering how dirty and sleazy this hobby is, I wouldn't bat an eye if it turned out to be true.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today's conspiracy theory: ebay seller mwheeler27 is actually Bryan Price!

I doubt that's true, but considering how dirty and sleazy this hobby is, I wouldn't bat an eye if it turned out to be true.
That was the name I recall (Wjeeler), now that you say it.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Time to post another pickup...this time the 2021 Panini Mosaic Gold Circles /10. This one brings me to 28 of the 34 parallels. Not sure why I decided to chase this one. Probably the same mysterious forces that compelled me to chase 2019 Panini Prizm. But unlike that set, I don't think I stand much chance of completing this one, with its three 1/1's.

2021 Panini Mosaic Gold Circles #5 SN 10.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Time to post another pickup...this time the 2021 Panini Mosaic Gold Circles /10. This one brings me to 28 of the 34 parallels. Not sure why I decided to chase this one. Probably the same mysterious forces that compelled me to chase 2019 Panini Prizm. But unlike that set, I don't think I stand much chance of completing this one, with its three 1/1's.

View attachment 348253
Panini and their multiple 1/1's 🤦‍♂️ but yet I still be chasing some rainbows.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'd missed out on several auctions for this one, mostly because I thought people were overbidding. But after seeing a enough of them sell for $100-$140, I decided maybe this was not the $50-$75 card I had thought. So I went a little higher and finally got a copy, for $105. This is the last UD Vintage card from any year I needed, and I'm glad to have it.

2002 Upper Deck Vintage Signature Combos #VS-AT SN 200.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Great set and I love that design & card. I need to see who else was in that set, as I might need one. I would probably like this card in the range you described, since you could have landed both separate for less than the combined total (maybe not anymore, my pricing may be a little dated).

Well, maybe not. there is only a Bando/Rudi on ebay now and the seller wants $300 obo and that is easily the worst card of the checklist by far!

Signature Combos​

Each Signature Combo is serial-numbered to 100 copies.

• VS-AT Roberto Alomar / Jim Thome
  • VS-BB Johnny Bench / Yogi Berra
  • VS-BR Sal Bando / Joe Rudi
  • VS-EL Fred Lynn / Dwight Evans
  • VS-FB Carlton Fisk / Johnny Bench
  • VS-GR Ken Griffey, Jr. / Alex Rodriguez
  • VS-JM Reggie Jackson / Willie McCovey
  • VS-JO Edgar Martinez / John Olerud
  • VS-SD Andre Dawson / Ryne Sandberg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow, that is a nice checklist. I had never looked at it.

That seller wanting $300 for Bando/Rudi. Well, nothing against those very good players, but the seller needs to put down the crack pipe, right now. Asking prices from so many of these ebay sellers are the dictionary definition of "delusion".

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
For all you weirdos out there, here's a "variation" that is pushing the limits of good taste. The 1991 Topps Micro glow front / non-glow front variation.

Don't recall where I read about this, but it was some post by some guy on some board. So I decided to see for myself. I bought all the 91 Micro cards on COMC, and when they arrived I dutifully brought out the UV light. Which, incidentally, I bought to determine the glowiness of my various 1991 Topps and Bowman backs.

And yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Some of them glow, and some of them are kinda flat. So without further ado, here's the photographic proof.

1991 Topps Micro glow non-glow.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Here's one of those newly-unearthed cameos that I learned about from Tim Peichel. The 2001 Fleer Ultra Ruben Mateo. It's actually a pretty cool action photo, with Mateo popping up after a slide to second (I think?). Anyway, it's nice to have.

2001 Fleer Ultra #159 Cameo.jpg

In case you were wondering, yes I did order the gold and platinum medallion parallels of this card from COMC. So I suppose I'll have them sometime around labor day. COMC's window to blame covid for their awful delivery times have run out. They need to come up with new material.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
For all you weirdos out there, here's a "variation" that is pushing the limits of good taste. The 1991 Topps Micro glow front / non-glow front variation.

Don't recall where I read about this, but it was some post by some guy on some board. So I decided to see for myself. I bought all the 91 Micro cards on COMC, and when they arrived I dutifully brought out the UV light. Which, incidentally, I bought to determine the glowiness of my various 1991 Topps and Bowman backs.

And yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Some of them glow, and some of them are kinda flat. So without further ado, here's the photographic proof.

View attachment 348763
I do draw the line at variations that require a tool to see them... for now. I may at some point decide to collect them once I've run out of other variations to chase.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

View attachment 348763
Now I need a black light.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So I'm lying here in bed, unable to sleep. I have my computer nearby, tuned to Mystery Science Theater episodes. The cadence of the commentary from Joel (or Mike) and the bots usually does the trick, and I'm off to lala land pretty quicly. But tonight I'm tossing and turning. Not sure why.

Anyhow, I guess it's time for an update to this little thread. Here are two cards I recently got in the mail.

First is 2005 Donruss Prime Patches, a triple patch card from the Portraits subset. It has a number, team logo, and nameplate patch, and is numbered to 10:

2005 Donruss Prime Patches Portraits Triple Materials Number Logo Nameplate Patch #P-4 SN 10.jpg

Another one from the same era, the 2004 Playoff Prestige Xtra Bases Red /25. I was excited to an inexplicably high level to add this little gem to the collection.

2004 Playoff Prestige Xtra Bases Red #51 SN 25.jpg

I also got another 2004 Leaf Exhibits, the second edition made by donruss playoff signature, with a print run of 66. That makes a total of 65 different exhibits, out of a total of 88. But I won't show it here, since they all look PRETTY MUCH THE SAME.

Members online

Latest posts