Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~The DEREK JETER Thread~

What is Derek Jeter to you

• One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A decent defensive shortstop

• I don't care about Derek Jeter whatsoever

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm not even a HUGE Derek Jeter fan, but I'm tired of the bashing and the hating on him and did some research. This thread is dedicated to Derek Jeter... if anyone has anything to add to his overall accomplishments that I missed, please inform us.

Here is what a great player is;

ACCOMPLISHMENTS THUS FAR;

1996 MLB Rookie of the Year Award
5 WORLD SERIES rings
11x All-Star
2000 All-Star MVP Award
2000 World Series MVP Award (only player ever to win these in the same year)
2x Hank Aaron Award winner
2009 Roberto Clemente Award
5x Gold Glove winner
4x Silver Slugger Award
7x in top 10 for MVP voting
3x in top 3 for MVP voting
6x in top 5 for Batting Title
2000 Babe Ruth Award
New York Yankees team captain for 9 seasons and counting
Most ever hits at Yankees Stadium
First in all-time Yankees hits
7 x 200+ hit seasons
Ranks 22nd ALL-TIME in Hall of Fame worthiness (including current members), 2nd all-time shortstop
.314 lifetime average
.309 lifetime post season average

Averages 207 hits per 162 games played, 13 more per 162 than All-Time hits leader, Pete Rose

PROJECTIONS; If he can play until he's 40 and keep up a somewhat average career pace, he will most likely (barring any unforeseen major injuries) obtain these statistical milestones

1. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
4. over 11,950 at-bats, ranking him around 4th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
5. over 300 homeruns, 2nd all-time shortstop
6. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him around 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
7. over 1,200 walks, ranking him around 53rd all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
8. over 2,950 games played, ranking him around 13th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
9. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him around 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
10. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
11. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time

I haven't even touched on his leadership or how much he does for his community with charities and for the game of baseball in general. I implore ANYONE to look at these awards, honors, stats and projected stats and tell us with a straight face that Derek Jeter is overrated, not Hall worthy, or not one of the best all-time shortstops to ever play the game of baseball, if not one of the best players ever.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Re: The DEREK JETER thread

sportscardtheory said:
Derek Jeter =

1996 Rookie Of The Year
4 World Series rings
9 x All-Star, more to come
2000 All-Star MVP
2000 World Series MVP
2006 Hank Aaron Award winner
3 x Gold Glove winner
3 x Silver Slugger award winner, possibly more to come
6 x in the top 10 for MVP voting, possibly more to come
2 x in the top 3 for MVP voting, possibly more to come
5 x in the top 5 for Batting Title, possibly more to come
.316 lifetime average
.309 lifetime post season average

Fixed it for ya :D

asmsportscards

Aug 16, 2008

I'am a huge mets fan, so naturally i'am a born yankee hater but i'll tell you one thing i'd take jeter on my team any day of the week!! (he'd have to play 2nd base though!! LoL)

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York

No question Jeter is a good player. His 162 game averages are on par with the great Roberto Clemente.

Derek Jeter: 120 runs, 207 hits, 17 HRs, 82 RBIs, .316 avg
R. Clemente: 94 runs, 200 hits, 16 HRs, 87 RBIs, .317 avg

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

Are you serious? As much as I can't stand them, I think I would rather see more prospect threads rather than this crap.

Why does it ruffle so many peoples feathers when it is said that Jeter is overrated? I'm sorry, but he is. I don't like the guy, but yes, he is a solid player. Yes he will make the HOF. He's not the best player in baseball though. He never has been. He's not the best player in his league. He never has been. He's not the best player at his position. He never has been. He's not the best player on his team. He never has been.

I just don't get it. I think it's great he has such passionate fans, but he doesn't even come close to sniffing best ever of anything. He's a good offensive SS. Unfortunately that is a position that defense is very important. You ask so many questions, let me ask some. Can you really tell me with a straight face that he deserves every award he has won, that he is a GG caliber SS, or that you really believe he's one of the greatest players ever? If you believe that then you're not fit for baseball discussion.

I never realized that he won 4 WS by himself. I guess everyone with a WS ring is HOF worthy. ROY, I mean everyone that has won one of those is definitely HOF bound. I know being an All-Star is a requirement. I'm just going to stop there. My point is these awards do not a HOFer make.

The man's play speaks for itself. He's a very good player. Hell, he's pretty solid. He's a HOFer for sure, but he is not one of the greatest to ever play his position, much less the game. Derek Jeter the Yankee-fan-and-ESPN-built-up-personality can cure cancer, beat up Superman, balance the budget, eliminate the deficit, end world hunger, bring world peace, and destroy Matt LaPorta with a simple gaze. The real life Derek Jeter is above average offensively, below average defensively, and has benefited from playing on some very good teams.

Joe

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

muskiesfan said:
Are you serious? As much as I can't stand them, I think I would rather see more prospect threads rather than this crap.

Why does it ruffle so many peoples feathers when it is said that Jeter is overrated? I'm sorry, but he is. I don't like the guy, but yes, he is a solid player. Yes he will make the HOF. He's not the best player in baseball though. He never has been. He's not the best player in his league. He never has been. He's not the best player at his position. He never has been. He's not the best player on his team. He never has been.

I just don't get it. I think it's great he has such passionate fans, but he doesn't even come close to sniffing best ever of anything. He's a good offensive SS. Unfortunately that is a position that defense is very important. You ask so many questions, let me ask some. Can you really tell me with a straight face that he deserves every award he has won, that he is a GG caliber SS, or that you really believe he's one of the greatest players ever? If you believe that then you're not fit for baseball discussion.

I never realized that he won 4 WS by himself. I guess everyone with a WS ring is HOF worthy. ROY, I mean everyone that has won one of those is definitely HOF bound. I know being an All-Star is a requirement. I'm just going to stop there. My point is these awards do not a HOFer make.

The man's play speaks for itself. He's a very good player. Hell, he's pretty solid. He's a HOFer for sure, but he is not one of the greatest to ever play his position, much less the game. Derek Jeter the Yankee-fan-and-ESPN-built-up-personality can cure cancer, beat up Superman, balance the budget, eliminate the deficit, end world hunger, bring world peace, and destroy Matt LaPorta with a simple gaze. The real life Derek Jeter is above average offensively, below average defensively, and has benefited from playing on some very good teams.

Joe

1. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
4. over 300 homeruns, ranking him 2nd all-time for shortstops
5. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shorstop
6. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time
7. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
8. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop

You're right... :lol:

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL

nevermore said:
No question Jeter is a good player. His 162 game averages are on par with the great Roberto Clemente.

Derek Jeter: 120 runs, 207 hits, 17 HRs, 82 RBIs, .316 avg
R. Clemente: 94 runs, 200 hits, 16 HRs, 87 RBIs, .317 avg

Roberto Clemente's fame came from his altruism and his contributions to the Latino community. He was a great player as well but his fame superceded his on the field production.

A better comparison is Robert Alomar, minus the great defense.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

No one is saying he is the greatest ever so you really need to stop saying that, the only people who say that are the haters. I will repeat it since its all the haters cling on it to NO ONE SAID HE IS THE GREATEST EVER. Not espn not the yankee fans only people who are delusional and are making stuff up to try to further a real non point.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

nyc3 said:
No one is saying he is the greatest ever so you really need to stop saying that, the only people who say that are the haters. I will repeat it since its all the haters cling on to NO ONE SAID HE IS THE GREATEST EVER.

Exactly... but to not put him in the top 3-5 shortstops is just plain uninformed IMO.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

Thank you. I know I'm right.

I can project stats too. Adam Dunn will hit over 600 HRs. CC Sabathia will win 300 games. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps. See, I can play the "lets make up numbers" game too. Even if Jeter reaches the numbers you projected, his name still would not pop up when I think of the greatest players ever. More people will agree with me on that than people who really believe he's one of the greatest ever.

If you think Jeter is this good, does that mean that Alex Rodriguez IS the greatest player ever? It's always hard for me to believe that the Yankees best SS plays 3B.

It just amuses me that saying Jeter is good and that he will be a HOFer just isn't enough. To please Jeter fans, you have to agree that he's the best ever or "you're not even fit to discuss baseball." Get a life. He'll make the HOF. I don't like the guy, but I think he deserves to be a HOFer. People that know a lot more about baseball than you or I rank Jeter very low defensively and say that he's overrated. If you could get past your bias, maybe you could actually come to understand why.

Joe

I almost forgot. I can laugh at you too. :lol: Now I'm cool too.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

sportscardtheory said:
I haven't even touched on his leadership or how much he does for his community and for the game of baseball in general. I implore ANYONE to look at these awards, stats and projected stats and tell us with a straight face that Derek Jeter is overrated, not Hall worthy, or not one of the best all-time shortstops to ever play the game of baseball, if not one of the best players ever. If you can't admit it, then you are not fit for a baseball discussion... end of story.

You're right. People don't say he's one of the greatest players ever.

Joe

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

muskiesfan said:
sportscardtheory said:
I haven't even touched on his leadership or how much he does for his community and for the game of baseball in general. I implore ANYONE to look at these awards, stats and projected stats and tell us with a straight face that Derek Jeter is overrated, not Hall worthy, or not one of the best all-time shortstops to ever play the game of baseball, if not one of the best players ever. If you can't admit it, then you are not fit for a baseball discussion... end of story.

You're right. People don't say he's one of the greatest players ever.

Joe
One of the greatest he said. Did he say the greatest ever? I dont think he did, all you are doing here is spinning words in blind hatred and filling your non points with passive aggressiveness.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

nyc3 said:
No one is saying he is the greatest ever so you really need to stop saying that, the only people who say that are the haters. I will repeat it since its all the haters cling on it to NO ONE SAID HE IS THE GREATEST EVER. Not espn not the yankee fans only people who are delusional and are making stuff up to try to further a real non point.

You and I have been down this road before. I am not hating on him. I said multiple times that he is a good player and HOF worthy. I am not disputing that. I agree with that. That doesn't mean I have to like him or agree that he is on the list of greatest players ever. I'm not saying that you said he was, but the OP did.

This whole thread is a non-point. So what Jeter's below average defensively. So what he's not on of the greatest ever. So what he's not the best SS in baseball. Seriously, he's a HOF worthy baseball player, why can't that be enough?

Joe

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:

You and I have been down this road before. I am not hating on him. I said multiple times that he is a good player and HOF worthy. I am not disputing that. I agree with that. That doesn't mean I have to like him or agree that he is on the list of greatest players ever. I'm not saying that you said he was, but the OP did.

This whole thread is a non-point. So what Jeter's below average defensively. So what he's not on of the greatest ever. So what he's not the best SS in baseball. Seriously, he's a HOF worthy baseball player, why can't that be enough?

Joe

Once again I would like to end this on agreeing on something with you. This topic is not needed.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

muskiesfan said:
Thank you. I know I'm right.

I can project stats too. Adam Dunn will hit over 600 HRs. CC Sabathia will win 300 games. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps. See, I can play the "lets make up numbers" game too. Even if Jeter reaches the numbers you projected, his name still would not pop up when I think of the greatest players ever. More people will agree with me on that than people who really believe he's one of the greatest ever.

If you think Jeter is this good, does that mean that Alex Rodriguez IS the greatest player ever? It's always hard for me to believe that the Yankees best SS plays 3B.

It just amuses me that saying Jeter is good and that he will be a HOFer just isn't enough. To please Jeter fans, you have to agree that he's the best ever or "you're not even fit to discuss baseball." Get a life. He'll make the HOF. I don't like the guy, but I think he deserves to be a HOFer. People that know a lot more about baseball than you or I rank Jeter very low defensively and say that he's overrated. If you could get past your bias, maybe you could actually come to understand why.

Joe

I almost forgot. I can laugh at you too. :lol: Now I'm cool too.

Good projecting, seeing that Dunn WILL most likely hit 600 and C.C. WILL most likely get 300 wins.

Projections are not "making up numbers"... they are PROJECTIONS.

If Jeter reaches the milestones he is projected, you would have to be VERY ignorant to not give him his due as one of the best shortstops ever.

You are in the minority on your opinion on Jeter, so no, more people wil NOT agree with you.

Alex Rodriguez will go down as the greatest offensive force to ever play the game of baseball in my opinion... as a SS turned third baseman. Call him a SS all you want, it doesn't make him one.

Not one single person has stated that he is the best ever, at ANYTHING... so you obviously see what you want to see.

NO one said he was great defensively...

I am in fact NOT bias, as I am indeed not even a Yankee or Jeter fan... I just see things clearly and can admit when reality is being enforced.

:lol: I laugh at you AGAIN for being mis-enformed and/or ignorant to facts... you have offered NO proof of anything other than the fact you don't think he is the greatest player ever, which no one ever stated that he was.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

nyc3 said:
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:

Joe

Once again I would like to end this on agreeing on something with you. This topic is not needed.

You're right. I'm done.

Just for the record nyc3, you and I actually agree on more than we disagree on when it comes to Jeter. It's the OP who I disagree more with when it comes to Jeter. ;)

Joe

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:

Joe

You're right. I'm done.

Just for the record nyc3, you and I actually agree on more than we disagree on when it comes to Jeter. It's the OP who I disagree more with when it comes to Jeter. ;)

Joe
btw my name is rob lol

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

nyc3 said:

What topic IS needed... is this not a message board? I thought message boards were for discussing anything. I'm sure that if a topic was not worth discussing, no one would have posted a reply.

the reason i hate jeter besides the pinstripes is that the media puts more on him than his ability deserves. i think jeter is clutch at the plate and will make an occasional great play (the toss at home to nail jeremy giambi) but he also makes the bad throw, kicks the slow roller and lacks the side to side movement of the positions top defensive players. alex rodriguez was a better all around shortstop than jeter and brings more wood. the fielding percentages maybe close but that is because arod got to balls jeter could barely see.

according to this he isnt a top 11 ss...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7197 ... ime-part-2

*the most overrated play in mlb history was the running catch that jeter made in the field and jumped into the stands. jose reyes, omar vizquel, rafael furcal, jimmy rollins, or alex rodriguez would have made that catch in better fielding position.*

NOPE. I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT HE WAS GREAT. AND I HATE THE YANKEES. BUT I LOVE JETER. HE IS NOT UNDERRATED. HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE REAL DEAL. THE DEFINITION OF LEADER AND CAPTAIN. IN THE DICTIONARY WHERE IT SAYS YANKEE, THERE NEEDS TO BE A PICTURE OF JETER.

Members online