Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Approximate Premium of BGS Graded Razor Autographs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I just finished looking through all of the autographs pulled from my case, and couldn't find one card that would even grade a BGS 9, thanks to the badly chipped back edges and corners.

I think this issue might be more condition sensitive than the older USA sets.

What type of multiplier would you assign to a BGS 9? BGS 9.5? Or do you think we likely won't see either one?

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Doesn't anyone think the slight chipping will only add value to the GEMS... isn't that better than having every card GEM MINT out of the pack?

In the past we haven't seen multipliers for 9.5 cards vary that much. Chrome has a certain figure, Elite is maybe plus 10%, USA maybe plus a little more.

A particular example comes to mind, David Branson (leatherman) sent 96 usa autos to BGS, got two 9.5s, one a Red Laporta /100 Auto. When he sold it on ebay it garnered no more of a premium than a chrome rc auto, of which maybe half will grade out. I'm not saying that's the way it should be but it certainly is the way it is.

I think Razor autos should garner a large premium. Although the chipping on the backs is rough you have several things to your advantage. #1, no centering issues to speak of, #2 surface is generally clean, #3 although not all of them have them, some cards do have clean corners. That being said, i think we'll see some 9.5s.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
masonphillip said:
sportscardtheory said:
Doesn't anyone think the slight chipping will only add value to the GEMS... isn't that better than having every card GEM MINT out of the pack?

In the past we haven't seen multipliers for 9.5 cards vary that much. Chrome has a certain figure, Elite is maybe plus 10%, USA maybe plus a little more.

A particular example comes to mind, David Branson (leatherman) sent 96 usa autos to BGS, got two 9.5s, one a Red Laporta /100 Auto. When he sold it on ebay it garnered no more of a premium than a chrome rc auto, of which maybe half will grade out. I'm not saying that's the way it should be but it certainly is the way it is.

I think Razor autos should garner a large premium. Although the chipping on the backs is rough you have several things to your advantage. #1, no centering issues to speak of, #2 surface is generally clean, #3 although not all of them have them, some cards do have clean corners. That being said, i think we'll see some 9.5s.

If there are still so few LaPorta 9.5's of said product, I think when/if he makes a splash in the Majors, it will sell for a considerable premium.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
masonphillip said:
sportscardtheory said:

If there are still so few LaPorta 9.5's of said product, I think when/if he makes a splash in the Majors, it will sell for a considerable premium.

I think that remains to be seen, he was en fuego when David sold it.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
At first, I do not think you will see any real premium as it will be too early to tell just how many are going to grade what. After several months and many graded cards pop, it will be easier to tell whats really going on and premiums will self level.

Right now, it's all guess work. Sure, your case may have been chipped to hell, and even thoes who you talked to but there are many cases out there, which may have perfect copies. Has brian confirmed EVERY case was produced with the same chipped cards or are you assuming all are just as bad as yours, and perhaps thoes who you talked too??

Eithor way, only time will tell as more and more get graded.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
masonphillip said:
sportscardtheory said:
masonphillip said:
sportscardtheory said:

I think that remains to be seen, he was en fuego when David sold it.

I bought the 9.5 and paid about 20-30 more for it than I did a base one that wasn't graded.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
At first, I do not think you will see any real premium as it will be too early to tell just how many are going to grade what. After several months and many graded cards pop, it will be easier to tell whats really going on and premiums will self level.

Right now, it's all guess work. Sure, your case may have been chipped to hell, and even thoes who you talked to but there are many cases out there, which may have perfect copies. Has brian confirmed EVERY case was produced with the same chipped cards or are you assuming all are just as bad as yours, and perhaps thoes who you talked too??

Everyone I've talked to, my 6, Jim's 10, JP, Jcmints 4, NECs 1, Andrews team breaks have all had chipping just the same way.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
masonphillip said:
sportscardtheory said:

Very possible, but I also think we'll see a lot of 9 auto grades as well. That could also shake things up a bit.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
masonphillip said:
matfanofold said:

Everyone I've talked to, my 6, Jim's 10, JP, Jcmints 4, NECs 1, Andrews team breaks have all had chipping just the same way.

This may become like the OPC's and the chipping may be "acceptable" to bgs, if its a flaw throughout the
entire print run

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
masonphillip said:
matfanofold said:

Which means there is still how many cases unacounted for as for chipping?

I kinda assumed someone was going to say "everyone i talked to........" but its still just a small sample. Although it may turn out correct and widespread, just taking the word of a few that are selling the product would be foolish. What did you find wrong with my statment below?

Or did you just want to make people believe you know everything allready?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
beefycheddar said:
I bought the 9.5 and paid about 20-30 more for it than I did a base one that wasn't graded.

I sold you the 9.5 for around $70-75 when raws were going for about $40-45, so you are right on. This is a pretty typical bump for a chrome card, which isn't nearly as condition sensitive.

The lone PSA 9 I got (received nine PSA 8s) got $40: no premium whatsoever.

David

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
beefycheddar said:

I sold you the 9.5 for around $70-75 when raws were going for about $40-45, so you are right on. This is a pretty typical bump for a chrome card, which isn't nearly as condition sensitive.

The lone PSA 9 I got (received nine PSA 8s) got $40: no premium whatsoever.

David

Yeah, and I got a BGS 8.5 and PSA 8 for less than Raw ones.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
masonphillip said:
matfanofold said:

I kinda assumed someone was going to say "everyone i talked to........" but its still just a small sample. Although it may turn out correct and widespread, just taking the word of a few that are selling the product would be foolish. What did you find wrong with my statment below?

I actually think the sample isn't bad, it is 24 cases, better than 1% of the print run and the cases have come from different sources etc so I'm not just going to assume that somewhere out there, there are golden copies of these things. Generally in my grading experience (3000 plus cards subbed) sets go one way or the other and they go together. They are uniform whether it is for better or for worse. So i'll stand by my "this is the way they'll likely be" until I see a small bit of evidence to persuade me otherwise.

Not sure what you are really trying to say by asking "what did you find wrong with my statement." I don't know if I found anything wrong with it but generally for prospect releases the best premiums are seen shortly after release for 9.5s (when the masses are still looking for the product) and thereafter only when the prospect gets hot, just for the individual cards.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
04 Elites had a pretty solid premium for 9.5s, and I think these are fairly similar (condition-wise) to those.

Actually, this year is reminding me a LOT of 2004 in terms of prospect products.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
sportscardtheory said:

Condition should decrease with age, not shoddy workmanship. For that price every card should be mint.

Kevin

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Incline Investments said:
04 Elites had a pretty solid premium for 9.5s, and I think these are fairly similar (condition-wise) to those.

Actually, this year is reminding me a LOT of 2004 in terms of prospect products.

I think you are right on, the buy in prices, the variety of products and cards avaialble for players..

in 2006 people made a heckuva a lot of money of 2004 products ;)

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
masonphillip said:
matfanofold said:
masonphillip said:
matfanofold said:

I actually think the sample isn't bad, it is 24 cases, better than 1% of the print run and the cases have come from different sources etc so I'm not just going to assume that somewhere out there, there are golden copies of these things. Generally in my grading experience (3000 plus cards subbed) sets go one way or the other and they go together. They are uniform whether it is for better or for worse. So i'll stand by my "this is the way they'll likely be" until I see a small bit of evidence to persuade me otherwise.

Not sure what you are really trying to say by asking "what did you find wrong with my statement." I don't know if I found anything wrong with it but generally for prospect releases the best premiums are seen shortly after release for 9.5s (when the masses are still looking for the product) and thereafter only when the prospect gets hot, just for the individual cards.

My Point was encased in the "what did you find wrong with this statment" quote which was the notable theme of my post you avoided to comment on origonally. Being, until more time passes, many are graded and a bigger picture is gathered, I think it a bit premature trying to figure out a premium for precieved scarcity(by a sample size of ~1%). Which I believe to be pretty hard to disagree with logicly. But then again, I am not sitting on any, I am not selling or slabbing any so that may be why...

Members online