Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: Anyone own a PORTABLE HD to save card info, scans, etc.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I've thought about getting a Seagate Freeagent to back up all my scans and all information on sales, trades, etc.

I'd like to get one but I thought I would ask a few of you about it first. I just don't want my computer to die and I lose everything that I need for tax purposes.

So if you use this or something different, tell me what it is and pros and cons...thanks!

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
i have a home server i use to back-up all the PC's on my network but i use one of the free-agent portable hard drives to store stuff i want to keep and back-ups off site as well. its a very good one for the price and i like the docking station you can get for it as well.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I use a WD Passport. It works great. I keep all of my music and most of my scans on it. Lightens the load on the laptop. Although now that I have a MacBook, I'll probably move all that info onto it and use the WD Passport for the Time Machine.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
I use a WD Passport. It works great. I keep all of my music and most of my scans on it. Lightens the load on the laptop. Although now that I have a MacBook, I'll probably move all that info onto it and use the WD Passport for the Time Machine.

What's the cost of a WD Passport? Pros, cons, etc.? And what size memory is yours? I see a lot for 160 GB, 320, 500, and 1TB. I think 160 would be enough but for the cost, 320 seems pretty good on most portable HDs.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
dethomas07 said:
I use http://www.carbonite.com to backup EVERYTHING. I've got 300 GBs backed up and that includes everything.

David

I think I am looking for portability too so I can take music if I want or take scans to a different computer. Say I was at work and I realized I could sell something really quick....I would already have the scans with me and I could pop it online real quick. i guess I probably could with this site, but I think I also prefer something tangible that I can haul around with me.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
www.getdropbox.com

2GB free with the option of getting more storage for $99/year extra. The only issue I have with portable drives and taking them to work is security. Some companies frown on bringing in your own drives to plug into their machines. That's where online storage comes into play.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Philip J. Fry said:
http://www.getdropbox.com

2GB free with the option of getting more storage for $99/year extra. The only issue I have with portable drives and taking them to work is security. Some companies frown on bringing in your own drives to plug into their machines. That's where online storage comes into play.

Thankfully I serve at a church so I'm not dealing with too much "high security" items. :)

A portable HD would be great for me because I keep a database of articles and papers on my work computer, but it would be nice to have all that and other work files with me, as well as my scans, pics, and music with me in the event I needed anything at the moment.

Members online

Latest posts