Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth-Real or Fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Hey guys,
I am not versed in vintage authenticity. I came across someone local who has a 1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth. He sent me pics of it, which I have included here. I know that it's best to stay away from raw Goudey's, but is there any well to tell if this is real or fake? I know you may not be able to tell much from the pictures, but I would appreciate your opinions. If it is obviously a reprint then I don't want to waste my time to look at it in person. If you think there is a chance it is authentic judging by the pics, what should I look for in person? He claims that his grandfather gave it to him in December of 1977.

ruthfront.jpg

ruthback.jpg

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
No, not craigslist, but something like it. It's a local Facebook county-wide yard sale page. The guy may be telling the truth-- that his grandfather did give it to him, but the guy doesn't collect and probably doesn't know any better (as in it could be a reprint).

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
And I'm not saying at all this guy is lieing to you that his grandfather gave it to him, plus it was given to him in 1977, 40 years after release, so it's 99% a reprint.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I'm no expert, but I think that smudge on the back at the bottom is a tell-tale sign of a reprint.

edit: from net54

Reprint..... There are certain place to look to see if the image is cropped, and then you would look at color (especially the shadows of face), and then look at the general wear. Authentic Goudeys will wear differently than a reprint, even if faked. Back of card, there are things to look for and place to look too (ie scuffing between the words GOUDEY GUM CO. and BOSTON where the word "reprint" was removed).
So, he 100% has a reprint, and I'm guessing he probably knows it...or his grandfather did... :lol:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Both pictures are out of focus. Very difficult to see everything. 99:1 it's fake. The back looks off. The color of the ink is too vivid even out of the pack.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
ChasHawk said:
$(KGrHqV,!iUE7FnbON!rBO8SUOvbgQ~~60_12.JPG
ruthback.jpg

See where it says reprint?

So he has an almost pristine card, with 1 giant smudge, and it just happens to be where...

Yep there it is, oldest trick in the book for those who try to pass reprints as legit.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Whoever tried to pass this card as real neglected to remove the "Renata Galasso" preceding the "Reprint". FAIL.

I don't think Galasso was doing the reprint sets in the 70's, so the whole "got this from my grandfather in 1977" story falls apart. This is probably the easiest fake to detect.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
homerun28aa said:
And I'm not saying at all this guy is lieing to you that his grandfather gave it to him, .

I am saying he is. If you buy his story his grandfather also altered it to make it look real.

Members online

Latest posts