Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dear NBA All-Star Game: You rock... update pg. 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I know most people never liked the 3 point contest, but I honestly used to...when the good (and popular players competed)...but I have not even thought about watching it for I don' know how long... I think they rank all 400 NBA players from 1 (Kobe) to 400 (Anthony Morrow) in order of popularity and then ask the bottom 6 to participate...hey, good luck James Jones (even though I don't know you, or even what team you are on). And they chose Ryan Anderson??? Hasn't he been on the DL with the Mariners since they drafted him in '98??
***Update! Big name player chosen!!! One of the top REBOUNDERS in the league is a perfect choice... :benson:

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Re: Dear 3 Point Contest: You suck...

That is exactly how they chose the participants.

Ryan Miller? Only leads the league with 80 3's made, 2nd has 61.
Kevin Love? Only an all-star, who hits 1.6 3's per game. He's everything people are clamoring about Jeremy Lin for, before people knew who Jeremy Lin was.
Anthony Morrow? 3rd most 3's
Mario Chalmers? 7th most 3's at a .463%
Joe Johnson? All-star hitting 1.8 a game
James Jones? Defending champ

Sort the league leaders by % and # of makes and the list doesn't have many big names. Ray Allen was probably asked but I'm sure he declined since he isn't an all-star this year and probably wants some time off.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Tomlinson21RB said:

Kevin Love? Only an all-star, who hits 1.6 3's per game. He's everything people are clamoring about Jeremy Lin for, before people knew who Jeremy Lin was.

Sort the league leaders by % and # of makes and the list doesn't have many big names. Ray Allen was probably asked but I'm sure he declined since he isn't an all-star this year and probably wants some time off.

Congratulations for knowing how to use the sort feature on a list of statistics! I am sure you could sort that list until Andrew Bynum comes to the top, too.

Look, all I am saying is that it's a fan's game: get popular players in. I thought I was a big NBA fan, but I guess I am not since I don't care about 3 pointers per game and I wasn't clamoring for Kevin Love to shoot 3's... I looked at the top 15 3 point shooters (%) and came up with
1 Brandon Rush
2 Mike Miller
3 Ray Allen
4 Klay Thompson
5 Mario Chalmers
6 Jordan Farmar,
7 Vince Carter
8 Jeff Teague,
9 C.J. Watson
10 Steve Novak
11 Chris Paul
12 Willie Green
13 Kyle Korver,
14 Marvin Williams,
15 Matt Bonner

I'd like to see any of those guys, let alone the perceived shooters like Stephon Curry, Jimmer Fredette, Paul Piece, Kobe...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

Gwynn545 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Congratulations for knowing how to use the sort feature on a list of statistics! I am sure you could sort that list until Andrew Bynum comes to the top, too.

Look, all I am saying is that it's a fan's game: get popular players in. I thought I was a big NBA fan, but I guess I am not since I don't care about 3 pointers per game and I wasn't clamoring for Kevin Love to shoot 3's... I looked at the top 15 3 point shooters (%) and came up with
1 Brandon Rush
2 Mike Miller
3 Ray Allen
4 Klay Thompson
5 Mario Chalmers
6 Jordan Farmar,
7 Vince Carter
8 Jeff Teague,
9 C.J. Watson
10 Steve Novak
11 Chris Paul
12 Willie Green
13 Kyle Korver,
14 Marvin Williams,
15 Matt Bonner

I'd like to see any of those guys, let alone the perceived shooters like Stephon Curry, Jimmer Fredette, Paul Piece, Kobe...

So you think these guys are significantly more fun to watch than two all stars, the defending champ, and a guy who is leading the league in 3's? I took off 4 big names, and one that was already in the contest:
1 Brandon Rush
2 Mike Miller
4 Klay Thompson
6 Jordan Farmar,
9 C.J. Watson
10 Steve Novak
12 Willie Green
13 Kyle Korver,
14 Marvin Williams,
15 Matt Bonner

I may have came off wrong in my post, I'm not attacking your opinion as much as I seemed. I agree, I'd love it to be Pierce, Kobe, Allen, Curry etc... The NBA can't force people to participate in this, and I'm sure they'd love the big names in it too. I'm sure they ask and get turned down. Whether guys want to relax that night or aren't named to the team so they're staying home with their families, they decline. It's no different than the lack of big stars in the dunk contest. I just get sick of all the NBA hate on this board.

Thank you for congratulating me on my knowledge of sorting statistics. I wish I could reciprocate that congratulations to you, but if you think there is a way to get Andrew Bynum to the top then you clearly don't understand it yourself.

boomets

Jul 17, 2009

How bout the dunk contest
Paul George, Chase Budinger, Iman Shumpert ,Derrick Williams

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

boomets said:

To me, that's a bigger area of concern than the 3 pt contest.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Tomlinson21RB said:
Thank you for congratulating me on my knowledge of sorting statistics. I wish I could reciprocate that congratulations to you, but if you think there is a way to get Andrew Bynum to the top then you clearly don't understand it yourself.

Click on 3 point shooting
Sort 3 PT %
Sort Teams
Sort Lakers
Sort 7 Feet or taller
Sort African American

Andrew Bynum is the leader

Now congratulate me!! :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

Gwynn545 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Click on 3 point shooting
Sort 3 PT %
Sort Teams
Sort Lakers
Sort 7 Feet or taller
Sort African American

Andrew Bynum is the leader

Now congratulate me!! :D

You have my heartfelt and sincere apology. You are correct.

Now, as much as it pains me to say it... Congratulations!

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008

Paul George and Iman Shumpert should put on a great show though.
I don't mind the less known names in the contest.

boomets

Jul 17, 2009

Bosox3 said:
Yea but there are less known names that are dunkers.
And they should of gotten at least one big name

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

boomets said:
Bosox3 said:

I agree, terrible names for the SD contest. And a new format w/ no Judges, that's done by fans online and only one round of 3 dunks:

Defending champion Blake Griffin passed on returning, leaving a lackluster field of New York's Iman Shumpert, Paul George of Indiana, rookie Derrick Williams of Minnesota and Houston's Chase Budinger.

The league announced Thursday that there no longer will be judges in the event, which also will be reduced to one round. Each contestant will execute three dunks. Fans will determine the champion by voting on NBA.com, Twitter or through text messaging.

The format in recent years was two rounds, with a panel of judges voting on the first round before fan voting in the second.

::facepalm:: IMO...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

gt2590 said:
boomets said:
Bosox3 said:

I agree, terrible names for the SD contest. And a new format w/ no Judges, that's done by fans online and only one round of 3 dunks:

Defending champion Blake Griffin passed on returning, leaving a lackluster field of New York's Iman Shumpert, Paul George of Indiana, rookie Derrick Williams of Minnesota and Houston's Chase Budinger.

The league announced Thursday that there no longer will be judges in the event, which also will be reduced to one round. Each contestant will execute three dunks. Fans will determine the champion by voting on NBA.com, Twitter or through text messaging.

The format in recent years was two rounds, with a panel of judges voting on the first round before fan voting in the second.

::facepalm:: IMO...

Well, that explains why they can't have big names in it.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

Isn't Anthony Morrow in the top 5 of 3 PT % of all time?

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008

The one round Dunk contest is probably a good idea......

It always seems most guys are holding back a couple of dunks for the Finals anyways.....A lot try to play it safe in the first round and it sucks when someone that may have something crazy planned fails to reach the finals.

I'm not sure if this year will be great due to the contestants.....but I do think the 1 round format may raise the intensity, or at the least ensure everyone is pulling out the best thay have right from the start.

aeast317

Mar 5, 2011
Indianapolis, IN

boomets said:
Well, I'm definitely a bit biased but PG definitely deserves to be in the dunk contest, and an argument could have been made a few weeks ago for him being in the three point contest as well.

brandon rush should really be in the 3pt shootout instead of a second miami player IMO

ggnike13

Nov 4, 2010
Orlando, Florida

Kevin Love was at my school yesterday praticing for the 3 point contest and out of the 5-10 min. I was watching him shoot he only missed one three.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

Some of us are geezer enough to remember watching Spud Webb win the dunk contest--which was spectacular, by the way--and when Craig Hodges hit 30 or whatever 3's in a row. Totally blew everyone away. They just can't capture that excitement anymore.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts