Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Topps Gallery Derek Jeter Peter Max Serigraph AUTOGRAPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
The football Max autos have the Certified Autograph Issue stamp on the back. The baseball ones should as well, I think.

This one doesn't

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
The football Max autos have the Certified Autograph Issue stamp on the back. The baseball ones should as well, I think.

This one doesn't

Nope, the baseball ones never did have the stamp (although I can't believe Topps didn't do that with the baseball). They definitely should have. I've seen a few fakes, but that Jeter one is good. I sold one as well a few weeks back as well. Like someone said above, the signature is signed below the gloss, so if you are holding it in hand, it's not too hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones. That Jeter looks good to me though.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
ajbraves25 said:
thepunisher0421 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/33070539396...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

Is this card real? I heard there are a few fake versions floating around....

Also, what is a fair price to pay? Is there really 40 copies made because its not serial #'ed..? Thank you!

Looks like its hand numbered at the bottom.

Yep, it's definitely serially numbered. They are all hand numbered by hand as well (another poor idea by Topps). This particular one looks like all others I've seen (the overall look of the serial number). I've seen a few that don't look exactly right though, so the number can't definitely be faked, but this one seems right to me.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Here are a couple from fellow members that I'd like to hold in hand before ultimately making a decision, since they really don't match up that well, which is surprising. All the serial numbers I've seen have been on the left of the card (other than Griffey, since its too dark), so the 1st one would be in the right placement, but the 2nd one has PSA's approval. You would think Max or the numberer would have done them the same way each time, or at least close. Hard to tell from a scan if the signatures are underneath the UV coating though on either. I just think it's one of those releases that can be easily faked, since the value is exponential from base to auto.

w_1997--topps--peter_max--auto.jpg

1997-Peter-Max-Auto.jpg

Dec 10, 2008
I own the PSA/DNA one. After some research on it, if I had to make my best guess, I think mine is fake. I originally didn't like the #25 one, as the M looked too McDonalds-like, and of course was conveniently numbered his jersey number. However, there was a seller on eBay with a whole set of the football ones, and I got scans from him, and all the numbering looks like the #25. Not only the placement, but how the 2's are chicken scratchy looking and tilted. I just can't tell if the Sharpie is under the UV coating, as it's still encased. Even though the sheen looks uniform over the pen, Sharpie's ink gloss level is about the same anyways. Maybe tonight I'll crack it out and try to take a little ink off with some Goo Gone and post the results.

I also wouldn't be surprised even though it is PSA/DNA certified, as I have extremely low faith in them.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I felt really poorly about yours (no offense) after looking at it and before hearing your story. The MAX signature is just off, and really off at that.

I don't trust these grading or authentication companies for one minute. In most cases they only stand to make their cut (or a larger cut) if the item is deemed real. There is no incentive for them to be truthful....only incentive for the card to meet the minimum grade or be deemed as "real".

Mark McGwire Museum said:
I own the PSA/DNA one. After some research on it, if I had to make my best guess, I think mine is fake. I originally didn't like the #25 one, as the M looked too McDonalds-like, and of course was conveniently numbered his jersey number. However, there was a seller on eBay with a whole set of the football ones, and I got scans from him, and all the numbering looks like the #25. Not only the placement, but how the 2's are chicken scratchy looking and tilted. I just can't tell if the Sharpie is under the UV coating, as it's still encased. Even though the sheen looks uniform over the pen, Sharpie's ink gloss level is about the same anyways. Maybe tonight I'll crack it out and try to take a little ink off with some Goo Gone and post the results.

I also wouldn't be surprised even though it is PSA/DNA certified, as I have extremely low faith in them.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I've owned my Griffey for years, got it from a card shop here, but theres no numbering, but the MAX sig is defiantly under the UV Coating

toppsgalleryMAXauto.jpg

tr3yden

Mar 30, 2020
If anyone is interested I know it is 8 years later but I have found the peter max Derek jeter signed by Peter max numbered 19/40. Trust me it’s real I can send as many pictures as anyone needs. I will probably get it graded by PSA if no one would like to buy it the eBay fees are extremely high but it looks like I hit the jackpot in my dads basement. They used to drool over this card and lost it years ago.
Thanks,
For further communication contact me [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.