Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking for our vintage guys to take a peak at these

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
As mentioned in my other thread, I am helping a family member who has 200,000+ cards from a former shop (cards, coins, bikes, etc) and he knows nothing about cards.

I am about 30% of the way through his cards. Here are the best "vintage" cards I have found thus far.

Does anything stand out to you guys as something that NEEDS to be graded?

The Montana and Julius are really nice, but I don't think the Montana would get over an 8.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am showing a few here, the rest are found here - bucket of stuff

joemontanarc.jpg

johnnybenchrc.jpg

juiluservingrc.jpg

kareemrc.jpg

mosesmalone.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Very cool story, I love sifting through 'finds' like this. There are some sweet cards in there (loving the Birds!) but sadly I have yet to see anything that screams 'grade me'. Good luck with the rest!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
matfanofold said:
Very cool story, I love sifting through 'finds' like this. There are some sweet cards in there (loving the Birds!) but sadly I have yet to see anything that screams 'grade me'. Good luck with the rest!

Thanks man. Yeah, nothing really screamed that either, but I don't deal much with vintage. So I figured it was worth asking here. Considering the Erving and Montana Rcs were not in ANY sleeves, I think they are in pretty good shape.

skrip

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I dont think its ever a bad idea to grade those high end rookies even though the condition may not fetch you a PSA 8 or 9. Guys are always looking for nice rookies that are not beat up but they dont have to be unbelievable shape either. I think a 5,6 or even a 7 of each of the cards pictured (except the Bench) would help sell them better on Ebay than a raw version of those cards. Guys want to know they are buying authentic, untrimmed cards and grading them will give your buyers the guaranty they are looking for.

I think the Montana is a 7 and a potential 8. The Bench I really wouldnt bother grading but for 50 bucks you might really make your money by sending it to Bench to get autographed and then sell it as a autographed rookie!

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
The Montana will not get an 8. The top corners are showing wear in the scan, and 8s are sharper than that. Take a look at some of the PSA 8s in slabs of that card and you will see what I mean. Also, there is some snow on the surface. My guess is that it would be a 7, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 because of the snow.

The Bench looks like a 5. It's a great copy, in my opinion.

The Julius is a little better, probably a 6. However, the tilt will chase some people off.

Members online

Latest posts