Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark Appel - Are you kidding me? 149 pitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
His stock had been falling some of late; maybe this is an attempt to resurrect it a bit. He also has 13 K's.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
wait, so the guy threw 150 pitches gave up 1 run and his team not only can't give him run support but the pen
blows it the next inning. WOW

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
scotty21690 said:
ballerskrip said:
scotty21690 said:
I think that's awesome....pitch counts are lame IMO.

So are guys on the DL....
Yes, because every pitcher who throws 150 pitches ends up on the DL ::facepalm::

Any every guy can handle a huge workload ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Every pitcher is different, we can agree on that. Some can handle larger workloads than others. I just don't agree with determining that as an amateur. 149 pitches, + bullpen, + the 50 pitches you thrown between innings, + initial throws, long toss, etc. That is a very large amount of stress on a 19-20 year olds' arm who is poised to be a millionaire in a couple of months.

Just my opinion.

skrip

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Wes said:
It's a lot, but he gets two extra days of rest compared to MLB pitchers who throw every fifth day.

Good point.....

BUT, they are professionals. If a guy getting paid a guaranteed contract throws 150, I could care less. They also have the best trainers, strength coaches, supplements, etc etc etc. And their lives are dedicated to baseball. Appel is a student who plays baseball, right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, yeah, the extra 2 days do make a difference I agree. But I still believe it to be silly, riskly, and dangerous to be messing around with a kids future like this.

skrip

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Mike Martin at FSU used to do crap like that. Ruined the arms in the long run of top prospects, like Richie Lewis and Paul Wilson. Wilson went #1 overall, but had his career basically derailed by injuries. David Yocum was a first round pick by the Dodgers in like 1994 or so, but was basically done after his first year as a pro due to arm injuries. 120 pitches was usually a short outing for them at FSU.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
ballerskrip said:
Just nuts to see a kid with this type of future throwing 149 pitches in a collegiate game.

Thoughts?

bob-feller.350101059_std.jpg

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
mwashuc06 said:
I don't trust Stanford pitchers, only one to pan out was Mussina.
They don't teach loyalty in college obviously.

Glad I did invest a dime in Appel.
Sorry sheeps. I think this one will be another losing cause.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
mwashuc06 said:

Whaaaaa get over the fact that Mussina left your team. Glad that you can make a definite statement that he was a bad investment over one game, and how many times have you actually watched him in person or on a computer?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
beefycheddar said:
Russ S. said:
mwashuc06 said:

Whaaaaa get over the fact that Mussina left your team. Glad that you can make a definite statement that he was a bad investment over one game, and how many times have you actually watched him in person or on a computer?
Wow.
Someone pissed in your dounut batter this morning.

Sorry you don't like MY opinion.
I'll live.
Bbbaaaaaa