Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bust or no bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
Some of these guys had such crazy hype in the minors. Some havent achieved what most people thought they would, but turned out to be ok. Do you think these players turned out to be busts and why?

Stephen Drew
Rick Porcello
Jose Tabata
Colby Rasmus
Clay Buchholz
Mike Pelfrey
Gordan Beckham
Jason heyward
Justin Smoak

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There's hobby bust and baseball bust.

Hobby bust to me means people have lost money on the player within a few years of his making the MLB - if he got that far.

Baseball bust to me means he never amassed more than a couple years in the MLB.

Last edited:

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
I'm not a baseball genius, but Buchholz & Heyward had a good freshman year, and are playing decent, just not HOF yet ...

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
There's hobby bust and baseball bust.

Hobby bust to me means people have lost money on the player within a few years of his making the MLB - if he got that far.

Baseball bust to me means he never amassed more than a couple years in the MLB.

I agree, but I think you can look a little deeper into a baseball bust. As of now I would consider all of those guys on the above list baseball busts. Yes, most are solid contributors at the MLB level, but the teams that drafted them and that fan base expected those players to be perennial all-star type players. That they have not become yet.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm still a Smoak Believer!

And "Bust" is a strong word to use. Maybe they didn't meet expectations, but a solid Career isn't a Bust to me...

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Smoak is a joke for what he was being touted as. Being a first baseman who cant hit 250 is a problem.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I would also add Julio Borbon to the list. I dont even know where he is anymore.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Smoak is a joke for what he was being touted as. Being a first baseman who cant hit 250 is a problem.

What was he being touted as and by whom? He is a switch hitting first baseman with some pop who had a very good college carreer. He was traded to a team on the West coast the same year his Father passed away on the East coast he has had to make alot of adjustments and still has only been in the pros for a few years. Get off your hatred for a 20 something year old kid a give him a chance to prove he can play. That being said, I think he will continue to get better, I sure don't consider him a bust.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
What was he being touted as and by whom? He is a switch hitting first baseman with some pop who had a very good college carreer. He was traded to a team on the West coast the same year his Father passed away on the East coast he has had to make alot of adjustments and still has only been in the pros for a few years. Get off your hatred for a 20 something year old kid a give him a chance to prove he can play. That being said, I think he will continue to get better, I sure don't consider him a bust.

He was brought up for his bat. I have watched a lot of games he has played in and frankly he is an average bat at best in the big leagues. Just my opinion, but I dont ever think he comes close to turning into what he was being touted as a few years ago.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
When I was getting back into the hobby in late 2008, I heard names like Smoak and Chris Davis being thrown around as the next future stars. Seems like a lot of people are still waiting.

Buchholz wasn't helped by his early success, like the no-hitter. He was brutally bad for a year afterwards, I ended up calling him Suchholz for a while. All he needs to do is stay healthy and his 2010 season will prove to be anything but a fluke.

Members online

Latest posts