Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do 1998 Pacific Online Winners Exist for All Players?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Beckett shows these 2 listings from the 1998 Pacific Online Set:
1998 Pacific Online Winners #195 Barry Larkin
1998 Pacific Online Winners #209 Barry Larkin TC

It looks like several of the players from this set actually have values (low ones at that) listed for these winner cards. However, many of the players (including Larkin) just have a N/A listed. I have never seen these cards, nor have any of the other Larkin collectors I know. Does anyone know what the deal is with these - Do they exist for all players? Any info and Pics if you have them would be much appreciated.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Pretty sure you were supposed to go to a website and type in the code on the back of each Pacific Online Web Cards. If the code was a winner, you got a special upgraded "winner" card. Remember the internet was still young, this wasn't a highly anticipated set and pacific was within a year of going out of buisness.

Here is a Juan Gonzalez
http://juangone.com/pictures.php?cardid=1306

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Never ever seen a Mark Grace. I have a saved image of a Griffey.

There are "White Whales" in this hobby, and then there are "Bigfoots." I tend to think of a Grace Pacific Online Winner as a "Bigfoot." White Whales are worth the time to chase, Bigfoots aren't - but if you are the one to discover one, you'll be a legend.

pacific_winner.jpg

Last edited:

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Good to know - I appreciate the info guys. I wonder if all of the cards were even made if it was some type of a redemption thing as you said. Maybe some cards just don't even exist. I guess I will just hope to come across one someday, but not worry too much about it. Thanks again!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This topic comes up now and then. I remembered some old threads on other boards and went back to them. Of all the threads that I looked at, these were the only confirmed Online Winners known to exist:

Juan Gonzalez Team Checklist
Ken Griffey Jr.
Wade Boggs
Barry Bonds
Andy Stankiewicz (a common!)

1998PacificOnlineWinner.jpg

Most people who posted to these threads don't believe every player exists (was stamped) and treat these as 1/1's. But who really knows the full story?

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Someone on here has a Clemens as well, but yeah, player list is going to be next to impossible. I've never seen a Clark.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I bought a Pacific set a a garage sale one day from a guy, and I said to the girl, "Is this a full set?" and he said "I don't know". This was the first time I had ever been in this card shop. So I bought it and took it home and when I opened it, it was a full set of Online Winners! That's the best thing I ever got at a swap meet!:grin:

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Are you being serious?

I bought a Pacific set a a garage sale one day from a guy, and I said to the girl, "Is this a full set?" and he said "I don't know". This was the first time I had ever been in this card shop. So I bought it and took it home and when I opened it, it was a full set of Online Winners! That's the best thing I ever got at a swap meet!:grin:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

Funny stuff

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Anything ever come out about that? Anyone ever dig up any info on those "buybacks" or are you just jabbing the story? Sometimes I go a few days between board reads

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I think he is just jabbing at the story. No one knows for sure about the authenticity of them. I own 2 of them and if they are fakes, they are very good ones. I did find out that the set was intended to be produced before UD lost their license, so it makes sense that they could exist and could have been backdoored, Past that, who knows

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm surprised that none of these online winners started popping up en masse from all those Pacific banko cards that got sold off. Like all those goofy football proofs that are constantly on ebay.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
It's likely that Pacific just stamped cards as needed when somebody redeemed a winner online. I say this because if they had printed up whole sets of them to have ready to send out, then we would have seen a big pile of them come out in the dozen years since Pacific went under, like all the other proofs and such we have seen.

So if that's the case there are probably many cards from this set that don't really exist. Unfortunately there is no way to ever know about any particular player...you could write it off after not seeing one for 50 years, then somebody dies and the card shows up for sale.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've never seen a Belle. Good topic. Put this on the same list as Instant Winners and Mirror Blacks.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Bring this back up

Any idea or new cards?

Is this the complete? checklist for now?

Juan Gonzalez Team Checklist
Ken Griffey Jr.
Roger Clemens
Wade Boggs
Barry Bonds
Andy Stankiewicz (a common!)

I've got one to add to list at home . For some reason can't remember the name. Angels pitcher , will add it when I find it

Ryan

Members online