Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
No offense to you but I think it is chicken sh!t when people run auctions just to see how it goes to then pull it down. Again, not taking a shot at you but rather sad it has got to the point where you had to do that. I guess you just need to sit on it and probably never realize the full price you've paid. I mean you'll never recoup what it cost you to build it one card at a time obviously. I wouldn't even want to know what I have spent in just shipping alone for my Belle collection. Even if I sold the entire thing for $10k, a huge portion of that would be just recouping shipping and other fees I have paid over the years. Sad to sit back and think about it I guess...

How is that chicken sh*t? I would of sold it if it went for a decent price but 45 bucks for a complete player set? Nah

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
How is that chicken sh*t? I would of sold it if it went for a decent price but 45 bucks for a complete player set? Nah

Let me ask you a question - what answer did you give for taking it down off eBay? Meaning, when you take down an auction it asks you to declare why and one of the options isn't "The price it looks like it is going to sell for is less than you are happy with"

Whichever box you checked in order to take down the live auction was a lie. I call that chicken sh!t.

Again, not getting into a pissing match with you but if you are going to run a live auction with no reserve, let it ride or do something else. As a collector that move on eBay irritates me terribly. I don't see it often with Belle cards but even once or twice a year and it is annoying. It is just playing games in my book.

Last edited:

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Let me ask you a question - what answer did you give for taking it down off eBay? Meaning, when you take down an auction it asks you to declare why and one of the options isn't "The price it looks like it is going to sell for is less than you are happy with"

Whichever box you checked in order to take down the live auction was a lie. I call that chicken sh!t.

Again, not getting into a pissing match with you but if you are going to run a live auction with no reserve, let it ride or do something else. As a collector that move on eBay irritates me terribly. I don't see it often with Belle cards but even once or twice a year and it is annoying. It is just playing games in my book.
I think its chicken sh*t you dont know what the hell youre talking about. Theres an option to send a bin listing to an auction which is what I did. I didnt remove the auction. I also set a reserve price when I sent it to auction. The reserve price wasnt met so I didnt sell the set. The owner of a card can do whatever they want with them.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Fair enough... your original post was not 100% clear that you had a reserve but rather you said it only made it to $45 which doesn't even compare to what you have in it, so I assumed you just took down the auction but now what I am hearing is that you had a reserve and the reserve was never met? If that is the case, okay, cool.

Anyways, your cards and you can do whatever you want with them. As a general comment to all collectors, it is my opinion that if you run an auction with no reserve, it is chicken sh!t to take down your auction for fear it isn't going to meet a price you want. If that is the case, set a reserve or start the auction at a higher $ amount. Otherwise, I think that is playing games and you also do not allow all the snipes to enter the arena. Just my two cents.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my prior comment. I had it at a bin for $79.99. I sent it to auction starting at $0.99 with a reserve price lower than my original bin price of $79.99. It sold for around 45 bucks which didn't meet my reserve price. I chose to not sell it and relisted it at my original bin price of $79.99.

How's the Belle collection coming along? I some what regret selling some of my Caminiti collection but it was getting real boring lately since nothing new would come up. The whole chase aspect was fun for me. I put a lot of money and time into it but I don't collect for profit. Baseball cards have always been a hobby for me. I have a decent amount of cards of another player who I'm considering super collecting.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my prior comment. I had it at a bin for $79.99. I sent it to auction starting at $0.99 with a reserve price lower than my original bin price of $79.99. It sold for around 45 bucks which didn't meet my reserve price. I chose to not sell it and relisted it at my original bin price of $79.99.

How's the Belle collection coming along? I some what regret selling some of my Caminiti collection but it was getting real boring lately since nothing new would come up. The whole chase aspect was fun for me. I put a lot of money and time into it but I don't collect for profit. Baseball cards have always been a hobby for me. I have a decent amount of cards of another player who I'm considering super collecting.
Belle collection is solid. He has no cards yet in 2015 except for a bat barrel which hasn't surfaced... I can't tell you how nice that is for a change. Both financially and just mentally. I was starting to really get kind of tired of it all... now I can focus on cards which are from prior years and it is more of a once in a while see a card that I need rather than a few a day lol

I am still chasing 90% of his cards Beckett recognizes. I am getting closer with no new cards in 2015 being out there. Still a hell of a goal... might never happen but I am getting close. The only way I will get there is by picking up Tek cards from 1998 and 1999 that I need. That is the only way.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010

I read his initial post and assumed he just ran an auction with a reserve. I think I recall even seeing it several months back with the reserve. I admit though his post wasn't completely clear.. But, the thing about "pulling" an auction down is that you have to do it within a prescribed time of the end of the auction (a few hours?), at which point you don't really have a true feel for the final price anyway since it doesn't give snipers their chance to post their final bid. So, the only way to truly know the market price is to let the auction run to completion. The only way to do that is with a Reserve.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Its just me but I never bid on auctions where ebay seller have a minimum reserve. Does bay charge sellers more to just list the card at a higher price and seller dont want to pay the extra fee. I don't quite get the purpose of a minimum reserve price.

Still scratching my head about FCB member with philosophical differences who outbid me on Griffey Pattern # 1 (not a diffractor) even though I suspect he or she has one or multiples of its already

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Belle collection is solid. He has no cards yet in 2015 except for a bat barrel which hasn't surfaced... I can't tell you how nice that is for a change. Both financially and just mentally. I was starting to really get kind of tired of it all... now I can focus on cards which are from prior years and it is more of a once in a while see a card that I need rather than a few a day lol

I am still chasing 90% of his cards Beckett recognizes. I am getting closer with no new cards in 2015 being out there. Still a hell of a goal... might never happen but I am getting close. The only way I will get there is by picking up Tek cards from 1998 and 1999 that I need. That is the only way.

I was kind of surprised to see Topps make new Belle cards but at least they made some pretty nice ones. Have you created a site yet for your cards? I remember you talking about that a while ago.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was kind of surprised to see Topps make new Belle cards but at least they made some pretty nice ones. Have you created a site yet for your cards? I remember you talking about that a while ago.
Mannnn the player site... been one of those things I just haven't been able to do or really push hard on. I have the domain and have messed around with beginning to build one but to be honest, I think I need to just pay someone to build me one. I know it sounds lazy but I can't seem to find the time or creative juices to do it. It was actually my goal last year and never did it obviously...

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
At least put up a sports card album lol

I decided to keep my Tek set. I just can't let it go. I'm probably going to keep the rest of my Caminiti collection in Padres uni and sell the rest. I just got in contact with another Caminiti collector.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
At least put up a sports card album lol

I decided to keep my Tek set. I just can't let it go. I'm probably going to keep the rest of my Caminiti collection in Padres uni and sell the rest. I just got in contact with another Caminiti collector.

Good your keeping your set:p

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I should of kept the diffractors too. Oh well, I found two diffractors I didn't know about in my kitchen shelf. I bought a cabinet to keep all my cards in so they're not all over the place lol

Members online