Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
What value or reliability is PSA if they slap the Diffraction or Diffractor on the label where seller then list card as Diffractors or Diffractions which are clearly NOT diffractors or ebay? Seems like a big Scam to me
PSA and BGS mislabel cards, it is a mistake. But more often the graders go with the description provided by the cards owner. Graders do not know every card and variation ever made, they simply know how to grade cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
PSA and BGS mislabel cards, it is a mistake. But more often the graders go with the description provided by the cards owner. Graders do not know every card and variation ever made, they simply know how to grade cards.

That's kind of scary IMO. They should have systems to confirm cards, it can't be that hard.

Worse than this though is fake patch cards being graded because it further solidifies passing them as real.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Player collectors can have some fun looking at the thumbnails of the 241-card 98 Tek lot listed on eBay for $399.00. After several images of the cards just fanned out, there are a number of images that can be magnified with the cards separated side by side, and most of the patterns are quite clear to the viewer. Tedious to look at them all, but if you need one card for your set of 90. . . .

This wouldn't be a bad group break, particularly if the buyer could get the price down a bit, say to $350.00 or so. That's probably about what the lot is worth. Say 18 lots of groups of five players (12 to 15 cards) at $20.00 per lot. Cards 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 (w/o Jeter but w/Biggio, Big Mac, and Nomar), etc. Lot of trading possibilities too. The equivalent of three boxes of '98 Teks but without the lottery temptation of any diffractors (and no Jeter patterns).

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Picked up 5 same card # pattern# and pattern 1s before that big 240+ card 1998 Topps TEK lot got split up. Seems like a decent guy. I tried to eyeball the various 1998 TEK Want lists I have here for any that look like are needed but I did not see any that were on the list in that lot..however. I could not tell what half the cards were due to poor quality of pictures or lighting so maybe someone will get lucky. I was able to get an Albert Belle..... a pattern # 1 which I did need for a pattern # 1 set that is now at 50/90

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
toga - that Bonds Diffractor selling for so low really surprised me. I would have bid more than that just because it's a good deal. I think that seller's auctions threw me a bit because it seems like he's posting different Bonds Diffractors but with the same stock photo...? I would confirm, but I can't see ebay at work anymore :p

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
First time in maybe more than two years that I've added a Belle diffractor but finally landed one. Pattern 42 and was mislabeled on eBay.

View attachment 59409

16th different diffractor, 17th overall.

I picked up the Edgar from the same seller (I think)

attachment.php

Pattern 63

I took this Bonds down early for $20... turns out not even as good a deal as the auction that ended yesterday!

attachment.php

Pattern 61

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I bid once with an opening starting bid of $ 17 on the pat # 84 Bonds (with $ 4 postage added for a single card) and expected that Bidder # 2 guy or someone else would do a last second snipe. But that was more already than I personally value any Diffractors for my collecting purposes (I'm thrifty..lol) . Since other big diffractor collector already had that specific pattern #84 it makes one ponder what the real market value of diffractors is once one he knocks another specific diffractor off his list. Maybe at some point in the future the prices fall to reasonable levels and Sellers realize nobody actually impulsively buys 1998 TEK boxes for $500 or $ 400 or even $300 who is not possibly associated with the sellers. Congrats to the winners of Bonds pattern# 63($67.50), pattern # 84 ($17.50) and pattern # 61($20) diffractors. One day I will pick up my third Bonds diffractor for my third 90 card Diffractor set but not this week. But it took me 6 years to finish all 8100 in the good old days where you could contact other 1998 TEK bidders through the back door on ebay and make lots of trades so I'm a patient set builder. Hope there were some of you guys who were able to find a few missing cards in that new 241 card lot that was broken up and relisted.

Latest posts