Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Honestly, I think it would be best for this thread if you guys just laid off. Feels like high school.

High school from what side? I'll let it go, but it's ridiculous. If you guys want to stay in his good side in hopes that he can help you out, that's all good. He's insulted way to many good people on here and I just don't care if he gets called out for his BS. He's full of s#i% and not good people IMO, but I'll move on to help the thread.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This "sub thread" that just started is HOS material, sorry but true.

and let me be clear, I think 100% that Wayne is Toga. If not, it would be such a weird deal.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Had an interesting transaction with @tenballer last week. I bought his base. When they arrived they were all in soft sleeves... apparently as he ripped he put them in soft sleeves. The surfaces were immaculate. They almost seemed like different cards. If I ever have the honor of doing another group break, I'm going to slow down the process and do this. The difference is amazing. Although I also think the packs I opened had cards sticking together. These cards just cannot take being rubbed together in any way. But they do ship and wash up like a champ.

That's a really good point. I finally found some Ultra Pro soft sleeves at Wal-Mart today,and I went straight to my Teks when I got home to replace older dull sleeves and to put others in sleeves. Makes these awesome looking cards even better.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I didn't realize you could literally delete an entire post... I thought you could only edit it... interesting. I guess I missed that update or whenever that became a part of the site.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I didn't realize you could literally delete an entire post... I thought you could only edit it... interesting. I guess I missed that update or whenever that became a part of the site.

Actually, the only guy here who has ever deleted his entire posts is Toga. Which, on its own, makes it interesting that someone like "Wayne" who just signed up to the forum would know how to do that.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I checked but no luck on those 7 Larry.
Wayne

PS I deleted my previous long winded post. Now I understand what he warmed me about. Ive gotten weird private messages from a few here already. Will put my extra teks list up minus a few reserved for togaman Carl once I finish it.

Wayne,
Need Lankford 45, 65, 77, and 83.....paying $10ea/dlvd

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Actually, the only guy here who has ever deleted his entire posts is Toga. Which, on its own, makes it interesting that someone like "Wayne" who just signed up to the forum would know how to do that.
Interesting.

I am also moving on and it looks like Wayne was a one and done member of the boards and thread lol

Anyways, I really hope we can get this thread back on track... feel like it has really derailed recently and completely overtaken by a few.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Thanks, Carl, but the rest of us have had nothing but good experiences with Rich and will continue to deal with him.

Everyone - please consider not replying at all to this post to give this thread a chance to break out of its downward spiral

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
My one and only reply to Carl, [MENTION=2699]togaman[/MENTION]'s allegations. Here is my response to his PayPal complaint:

In my listing of these cards for sale on the Freedom Card Board list, I clearly noted, "Some of these cards have printing blemishes: refractor lines, light water spotting, ink spotting, light printing of patterns, blurring of pattern number, chipping of the silver oval, shadowing, etc. I rarely see a true mint quality '98 Tek -- even those slabbed by the services." The last line of that paragraph was: "cards are sold 'as is': no returns or refunds." For all buyers, I offered an option for postal insurance: "For 1 to 50 cards, add $1.00 per $100. insurance if you want it". Buyer did not opt for any insurance, even $1.00 worth. The cards were mailed in a padded mailer on 7/19/16 at 2:09 PM. Tracking # 9500 1115 8012 6201 0028 57. I sent the cards as ordered. There were no more than minor blemishes on any of the cards, and many were in excellent condition. Any of the blemishes originated at the time of printing or manufacturing of this 18-year-old Topps Tek set. There was no post-manufacture damage to any of the cards when mailed.

These cards were ordered by D.K. Wayne, who may or may not be a real person. I did recognize that this was a straw purchaser for Carl Tompkins, as Mr. Tompkins had inquired about all or many of these same cards in the past. I had decided long ago to not deal with Mr. Tompkins because of his reputation as a difficult trading or buying/selling partner. I had unsatisfactory experiences with him in the past. For over a year, my e-mail server has blocked all of Mr. Tompkins e-mails to me, and I block all of his postings on several trading card message boards. Against my better judgment, I acceded to an e-mail from Mr. Tompkins' wife that the cards were intended as a birthday present for Mr. Tompkins and I agreed to send her the cards.

In considering this bogus complaint, please consider that the order originated through a straw purchaser on behalf of Mr. Tompkins and was fraudulent to begin with.

Rich Roth, [email protected]

Not to PayPal--

Regarding Mark Thompson: Carl has no right to say that I do not like him. That's crap. I don't know him at all, and never had any problems with him. I used to sell cards to him but lost track of him about ten years ago. Haven't heard from him in at least that long. Even togaman did not have an e-mail address for him. Guess Carl is his Facebook friend. I don't do that middle-school stuff. If Mark wants to e-mail me his want list, I certainly would deal with him and get him any cards I have that he needs -- but absolutely not through togaman.

Rich

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I was browsing through the old posts on the super sweet 90s thread the other day, and about 10-12 pages in there was an interesting discussion from 2011 about a bunch of diffractors that Burbank had listed. Looks like most were less than $10, but they had a Jeter listed for $40-something I think?

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Rich, we only have had one transaction and it was totally positive and it was you who reached out to me. The deal benefited me more than you. You have been helping people on this thread as long as I have been with FCB. I'm sure everyone thinks the same way about you. I have wanted to add my two cents so many times publicly and didn't. I know everyone wants to move on and get this thread moving in a positive direction but I just had to thank you for what you do here and refuse to see anyone try and drag you through the mud. Kevin in CT.

Now someone please find me a Paul O'neill pattern 90.

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
Rich, we only have had one transaction and it was totally positive and it was you who reached out to me. The deal benefited me more than you. You have been helping people on this thread as long as I have been with FCB. I'm sure everyone thinks the same way about you. I have wanted to add my two cents so many times publicly and didn't. I know everyone wants to move on and get this thread moving in a positive direction but I just had to thank you for what you do here and refuse to see anyone try and drag you through the mud. Kevin in CT.

X2, but I don't need the o'neil...

Sent from my VS986 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I've had one transaction with Rich. Sent me over 2/3 of the entire Albert Belle 98 Tek run for a fraction of the price it would have cost me any other way. Cards were awesome, transaction was perfect. One of the true good guys.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

Got my eye out.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Remember 2 years ago when this thread didn't suck the fun out of collecting Tek runs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Was going through my diffractors and realized I have 2 copies of pattern 73. I guess that leaves me with 28 different. I was so close to being 1/3 complete which has been my 'realistic' goal.

IMG_0785.jpg

Members online

Latest posts