User Tag List

Page 5 of 298 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why anyone is surprised Sandberg isn't in the set, he retired after '97.With so few players in the set, understandably they wanted current players in the set.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed the '99 singles are way cheaper than '98.Too bad they didn't put an inserts in the '98 set as well.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    I don't know why anyone is surprised Sandberg isn't in the set, he retired after '97.With so few players in the set, understandably they wanted current players in the set.
    I don't think anyone is surprised. That's how things were back then.

And I don't think card companies care what players are in any given set as long as it's what will sell. At the time, including retired players in sets was not as prevalent as it is now. It sure took them awhile to catch on to what collectors want - hot rookies AND popular players from the past in addition to today's players.
    1998 Tek Diffractor Wantlist - Grace & Sosa
    1998 Tek Jay Buhner Wantlist - 41 and 57
    1998 Tek Griffey Wantlist - 1, 4, 19, 23, 27, 49, 53, 66, 72, 86
    Complete Want lists HERE

Collecting 1997 Score Reserve Collection and 2014 Tek non-auto rarities

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed the '99 singles are way cheaper than '98.Too bad they didn't put an inserts in the '98 set as well.
    Say what?
    Complete Want lists HERE

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGreerFan View Post
    I don't think anyone is surprised. That's how things were back then.

And I don't think card companies care what players are in any given set as long as it's what will sell. At the time, including retired players in sets was not as prevalent as it is now. It sure took them awhile to catch on to what collectors want - hot rookies AND popular players from the past in addition to today's players.
    There was a Sandberg fan on Page 2 who was curious why he wasn't in the set.

You can get a box of '99 for $85.Some '00 even went cheaper.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is reasonable for the minor and semi stars in this product?$1 a card?
    (I would say that sounds about right yeah but if your looking to max profit and in no hurry, I'd list all singles at $5/each just to see who really needs a certain pattern first. Then drop the rest to $1 after a few weeks. Someone who only needs a few more is likely gonna pay more than someone who still needs 50 patterns
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    (I would say that sounds about right yeah but if your looking to max profit and in no hurry, I'd list all singles at $5/each just to see who really needs a certain pattern first. Then drop the rest to $1 after a few weeks. Someone who only needs a few more is likely gonna pay more than someone who still needs 50 patterns
    You heard of Burbank Sports Cards?I have heard they are tough to deal, but they have a bunch of my player that are seemingly reasonable ($1 a card for minor star) that I'm thinking of scooping up if they still have them.Plus, I'd be able to combine shipping on all of them.

bzero13
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a Sandberg fan on Page 2 who was curious why he wasn't in the set.

You can get a box of '99 for $85.Some '00 even went cheaper.
    Curiosity does not equal surprise. Yes, he retired after '97, but he was included in other '98 inserts (not a lot, but some).

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelesquad View Post
    Curiosity does not equal surprise. Yes, he retired after '97, but he was included in other '98 inserts (not a lot, but some).
    I would imagine those other '98 sets had more than 90 players in them though.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the kicker is the choice of players that Tek made. Guys like McCracken, Dunwoody, and Kotsay... what was their ceiling really? Meanwhile they're ignoring sure-fire HOFers like Sandberg, Rickey, and Boggs.

Yeah, minor stars for $1 is about right. I'm trying to get all the Buhners and I'm trying to do it for about a buck apiece. So I'm especially interested in lots. Burbank is a good way to go, especially if you put it together with an order for higher dollar cards because shipping is free @ $50. If you order, post when you gettem and let us know how you are doing on your set of your player. I'd also be curious to hear how the condition of the cards are because it can be so hit and miss with Tek and you can't see Burbank's cards ahead of time.
    Complete Want lists HERE

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the kicker is the choice of players that Tek made. Guys like McCracken, Dunwoody, and Kotsay... what was their ceiling really? Meanwhile they're ignoring sure-fire HOFers like Sandberg, Rickey, and Boggs.
    Hey now, Kotsay is still playing, so he didn't end up too bad!
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/13/17): 1. Glaus: 2093 - 2. Rolen: 1653 - 3. Thome: 1599 - 4. Helton: 1504 - 5. Garciaparra: 1437 - 6. L. Walker: 1287 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1265 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1223 - 9. Biggio: 1054 - 10. Edmonds: 1038 - 11. A. Beltre: 1003

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I almost said in my post, "no offense to db..."
    Complete Want lists HERE

bzero13
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine those other '98 sets had more than 90 players in them though.
    Indeed, which answers my curiosity why he wasn't included.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, minor stars for $1 is about right. I'm trying to get all the Buhners and I'm trying to do it for about a buck apiece. So I'm especially interested in lots. Burbank is a good way to go, especially if you put it together with an order for higher dollar cards because shipping is free @ $50. If you order, post when you gettem and let us know how you are doing on your set of your player. I'd also be curious to hear how the condition of the cards are because it can be so hit and miss with Tek and you can't see Burbank's cards ahead of time.
    Could be wrong on this, but weren't Dunwoody and Kotsay high draft picks back then?Wasn't it around '96 or '97 when Bowman rookie/prospect sets took off?If so, I can understand why they would want to sprinkle a few rookies in to sell the product.

That was one of my concerns with Burbank, they didn't have scans of any of the cards I wanted.I guess they have so many cards to list they don't have the time to scan the cheaper ones.With so many cards having factory defects, some scans sure would be nice.Did not know shipping was free over $50, thanks for the heads up.

Mac.Schmitz
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone cares or has some 1998 Tek cards, I'm currently in search of the following patterns for Albert Belle (#47):

2, 8, 11, 13, 15, 19, 23, 25, 27, 29, 36, 37, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47, 49, 51, 52, 53, 55, 58, 59, 64, 65, 71, 78, 79, 81, 83, 84, 85, 90
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Belle Personal Collection: 2,615/2,891 - 90.5%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016