Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Pattern 39

attachment.php

Are you building a set of diffractors or just snagging them when you find a bargain?

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I am just picking them up here and there when I can find deals. Eventually I might try for a set, but not until I knock some more of the big-timers off the checklist. And even then I would want to do it at a leisurely pace - no rush. MansGame - I traded you your double. I remember how disappointed you were when you got it in hand :mrgreen:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am just picking them up here and there when I can find deals. Eventually I might try for a set, but not until I knock some more of the big-timers off the checklist. And even then I would want to do it at a leisurely pace - no rush. MansGame - I traded you your double. I remember how disappointed you were when you got it in hand :mrgreen:

PIE know, shame on me for not asking for pattern #. Then again, I'm just waiting for a guy who has a Belle diffractor and will just trade me 1 for 1.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, but I don't like 99s as much 98s. I always go to Beckett or baseballcardpedia for checklists.

Looks like Ankiel and Drew were added to the '00 set, so I guess I'll have to persue them as well.Why is '98 more desirable?I haven't been on Beckett in ages, guess I need to go back there.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Looks like Ankiel and Drew were added to the '00 set, so I guess I'll have to persue them as well.Why is '98 more desirable?I haven't been on Beckett in ages, guess I need to go back there.

I'm guessing.it's for the pure challenge aspect as I personally like the 99 designs and golds better myself. Getting all the 98s is just an accomplishment and a half anyone can be proud of. Which reminds me, PM me your address, I've got a McGwire and a Jordan for you from 98

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I must admit that I like the themed backgrounds of the 99s, but I don't like the colored part they put on there. Looks cheap and cheesy. I also think Diffractors are far more eye-popping than golds.

I just hit this Juan Gone tonight. PadsFan - you may want to make him an offer for the Caminiti - worked for me with the Juan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160874307903?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I thought this was a really interesting sale. Five base cards (4 stars), all different with no apparent connection, and the lot sells for $14.50 dlvd? Weird.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Card-Lot-...1134927331?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a78cee1e3

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I thought this was a really interesting sale. Five base cards (4 stars), all different with no apparent connection, and the lot sells for $14.50 dlvd? Weird.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Card-Lot-of-1998-Topps-Tek-baseball-cards-/251134927331?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a78cee1e3

I've seen things like this before. There is also a guy who must of had the set but he is only selling it off in small team sets, etc. He won't break it up. I had to buy the white sox he had for like $5 or more for the Belle pattern I needed. Ended up trading the Thomas and pretty much broke even. Lots like this can be nice to catch, but not sure how you found it lol

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I must admit that I like the themed backgrounds of the 99s, but I don't like the colored part they put on there. Looks cheap and cheesy. I also think Diffractors are far more eye-popping than golds.

I just hit this Juan Gone tonight. PadsFan - you may want to make him an offer for the Caminiti - worked for me with the Juan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160874307903?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Card-Lot-of-1998-Topps-Tek-baseball-cards-/251134927331?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a78cee1e3

Isn't it common for stars from this set to sell for $2-$3 or more?I keep hearing so much about these Diffractors I guess I should get one for myself so I can see them in hand.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
It is common for stars to sell for $2-$3 or more, but why would someone want this particular lot of five? It's not worth buying just to get the one card you want even if you could sell the others. It's just base - there's over 500 of each out there so it's not like you'd never see it again. It just interests me... how people think :mrgreen:

So Sin, are you saying that you can't tell the difference between a base and a diffractor? It's all about the cracked glass effect on the Diffractors that pick up the light.

Pattern 86

attachment.php

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It is common for stars to sell for $2-$3 or more, but why would someone want this particular lot of five? It's not worth buying just to get the one card you want even if you could sell the others. It's just base - there's over 500 of each out there so it's not like you'd never see it again. It just interests me... how people think :mrgreen:

So Sin, are you saying that you can't tell the difference between a base and a diffractor? It's all about the cracked glass effect on the Diffractors that pick up the light.

Pattern 86

attachment.php

Buyer probably needed one card, and thought he could break even if selling the rest.I can tell the Diffractors apart, sometimes they just don't stand out initially, but you have a good scan of that a Konerko.I just found one I made an offer on, but probably won't get it.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
It is interesting, but not surprising. Nobody really wants those guys or is collecting their Teks. Eventually I'll have to pick up one of each if I go for a set, but until then I'm going to be patient and try to get mine for more in the $3 dlvd range. I really don't expect anyone to ever collect their stuff, so it's not like they have any future value or resale value. I think it's interesting that nobody is going for Beltres. He's on a great team and is having yet another great season (since sucking for my Mariners). You'll notice that the Justice went for just over $10, so there are definitely Justice collectors out there.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It is interesting, but not surprising. Nobody really wants those guys or is collecting their Teks. Eventually I'll have to pick up one of each if I go for a set, but until then I'm going to be patient and try to get mine for more in the $3 dlvd range. I really don't expect anyone to ever collect their stuff, so it's not like they have any future value or resale value. I think it's interesting that nobody is going for Beltres. He's on a great team and is having yet another great season (since sucking for my Mariners). You'll notice that the Justice went for just over $10, so there are definitely Justice collectors out there.

Not that surprised with McCrackon and King, but I definitely thought the other 3 would sell for more, especially Delgado.He was a beast then, and was always an underrated player to me.In fact, just last week I made a trade with a Delgado collector.$5 or whatever it went for seems cheap to me.Just doesn't seem like Rangers fans want cards of players on different teams.I picked up a supposedly rare Cruz RC logo card for $1 last week.Beltre for whatever reason is never that collected for whatever reason.

You wouldn't need an early Buhner insert or bat card, would you?

Members online

Latest posts