Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

High BIN vs. Auction - what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Which would you guys go with when listing the best possible rookie card of a popular player that is already graded in Gem Mint condition? Would you go for a high BIN (with automatic payment), or 7 day auction and hope for the best? The card I'm talking about is a PSA 10 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractor of Curtis Granderson. It's is best possible rookie card (he doesn't have any autographed rookies), is #'d out of 50, and is already graded Gem Mint. The only ones listed for sale on eBay are just "mint" ones, and they are listed with 700+ BIN's. Considering that a base refractor #'d to 300 in PSA 9 sold recently for $200, I would imagine bidding could get spirited, but I don't want to get stuck with some NPB.

What would you guys do?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I would go BIN/BO. Is there really a huge following for his cards? today is thursday, you could always BIN/BO until sunday and if it doesnt get a decent offer by then you can just relist at auction with a starting bid you feel comfortable with. with the free listings going on it doesnt cost anything for you if it doesnt sell.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I'd go BIN/BO if you aren't in any rush to move it. While it's a very rare, high end card, I don't feel like Granderson is "hot" enough right now that you would get the max attention and bids you'd want on such a card.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I always prefer the open auction action on cards like this. While a BIN/BO will assure you that you get a price you agree with (if infact it sells at all) an open auction can exceed expectation on cards such as this. It is a card that is rare enough (both because of the nature of the card and the grade) that attention will be given by buyers. The only question you have to ask yourself is do you want to set a price and hope to get it, or let it ride and let the hobby set the price with a possibility of bid explosion...? Personally, I would take the gamble on the auction. Either way it should sell for a nice chunk of change.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I agree with the consensus. In a really tough card of a guy who is not a mainstream hobby star there may only be one guy willing to break the bank on it. BIN/BO unless in a rush. You might also consider an auction with a Hugh starting price at the price you hope to get...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I just assume crazy BINs of rare cards are used because the seller knows that amount could never be reached at auction... so I've learned to ignore them.

If you're scared of using a regular auction (and it sounds like you are), then I'd suggest doing a BIN with a BO. Use the BO to get a feel for what the card would sell for and then reevaluate your decision about which auction format to use.

I'd have to point out however, I dislike sellers who are fishing their cards - they put them up with crazy prices, take them down, lower the price, up the price. All of this is a huge turn-off.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
High dollar cards are put up at high bo/bin for serious buyers not casual ones. Auction is not the wise choice on that card. That card needs a longer exposure on eBay. Not everyone interested in that card will see it in seven days. Someone would get a steal on it at auction. Put it up for bin/Bo and see what's what

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I agree, and hate "fishing" for offers with the BO option. I think I'll just go with a solid bin price, since most people will just message you with an offer anyway. Thanks for the opinions, gang!

Sent from my A500 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts