Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rabbit Maranville Vintage Under $50 Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Picked up an orange border 1934 - there are also blue and red for the complete "rainbow."

maranville34DMCorange.jpg

Picked up anything new. I enjoy seeing your pickups for this PC.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Two recent pickups.

First is the Red '34 Diamond Matchbook. So now have Red, Blue and Orange, with only Green remaining.

maranville34DMCred.jpg
maranville34DMC.jpg
maranville34DMCorange.jpg

Second is a W590 strip card issued around 1926 (Rabbit was only a Cub in 1925, he has another variation in this set with Boston).
Card has a printing flaw in the facial area, but not bad for $25. W590 were printed on inferior card stock and prone to bad printing.

maranville25W590.jpg

Cards like this were issued in strips and hand cut into cards.

117587b_lg.jpeg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Two new pickups (Christmas presents to myself)... paid $100 for both from same seller, so I'm counting them as qualifying as $50 and under, although the Neilson's is worth more.

1921 Neilson's Chocolates Type 2
maranville21NEILSONS2.jpg

1934 Batter's Up - Gray Tint
maranville34BATTERUPGRAY.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Score on that Delong! Those are one of my favorite vintage sets. Small, but loaded.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Have you come across anything vintage featuring him as a Robin? Because of that 1 year (1926), he is a fantasy want for my autograph collection, meaning I'll likely never obtain one.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Have you come across anything vintage featuring him as a Robin? Because of that 1 year (1926), he is a fantasy want for my autograph collection, meaning I'll likely never obtain one.

I'd have to find a really poor condition 1926 Sport Company of America card to fit my $50 and under stipulation. But if you are looking for him in a Robins uniform, its the only option.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not familiar with that issue by name, but my catalog knowledge of the pre30s stuff isn't great anyway. Looks like either someone cut this one down a bit or maybe it was a strip card type? I'll have to go consult the almanac to gain knowledge of this issue.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Been awhile since my last addition to this PC. Finally found something worth adding. 100th anniversary of this unique pre-war baseball issue: 1914 B-18 felt blankets. These came folded in tobacco pouches, and are one of the nicer premiums of the era. Some were sewn into quilts - what a great thing for a mom to make for a young baseball fan! This one had a few minor stains, which allowed me to pick it up for $30.

maranville1914B18blanket.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I always loved the B-18's and thought it was very cool to find some with the original pieces of "tape" of whatever it was still attached to the back. These blankets are an undercollected portion of baseball memorabilia and diplay incredibly well.

I havnt had the chance to look but figured I would ask....does the Marranville come with color variations?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I always loved the B-18's and thought it was very cool to find some with the original pieces of "tape" of whatever it was still attached to the back. These blankets are an undercollected portion of baseball memorabilia and diplay incredibly well.

I havnt had the chance to look but figured I would ask....does the Marranville come with color variations?

Yes, it has a brown infield variation - scarcer and more valuable.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Been awhile since my last addition to this PC. Finally found something worth adding. 100th anniversary of this unique pre-war baseball issue: 1914 B-18 felt blankets. These came folded in tobacco pouches, and are one of the nicer premiums of the era. Some were sewn into quilts - what a great thing for a mom to make for a young baseball fan! This one had a few minor stains, which allowed me to pick it up for $30.

maranville1914B18blanket.jpg

Example of an antique "folk art" quilt made using B-18 blankets.

117277a_lg.jpeg

Nice pickup. Its good to see your still working on this. I may pick an older player to collect once my pickups with the McGriff PC slows down.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Nice pickup. Its good to see your still working on this. I may pick an older player to collect once my pickups with the McGriff PC slows down.

That quilt is really nice. I wonder if there have been reprints made just to use for quilting.
DANNY

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
BTW, there is a sweet pink batter up of Rabbit on eBay right now in your price range..

I waited this one out, and since no one had bid, decided to just throw an offer out there and see if he'd bite. Very happy to win this for $25! Half way done with the six color combinations now - will be a cool rainbow if I ever finish it. 1934-36 Batter Up.

maranville34BATTERUPPURPLE.jpg

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I waited this one out, and since no one had bid, decided to just throw an offer out there and see if he'd bite. Very happy to win this for $25! Half way done with the six color combinations now - will be a cool rainbow if I ever finish it. 1934-36 Batter Up.

$_57.JPG

Great to see that you won it!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Good deal on this one, a 1919-21 W514 strip card. Got it for $30 delivered.

maranville19W514.jpg

W514's were issued in 5 and 10 card strips for 1 cent and 2 cents respectively. They were meant to be hand cut. Maranville was on the edge of the strip, so harder to find in good condition. W514's are considered "The T206 of Strip Cards" because the set had the largest player selection and more HOFers than any other strip card issue. Here's a photo of mostly uncut W515 and W514 strips, you can see Maranville in bottom right strip:

Item_2545_2.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts