Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rabbit Maranville Vintage Under $50 Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I started a vintage Rabbit Maranville collection last year, with the stipulation that I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any one card. Here's what I've added so far, I'll post new additions as I acquire more. Hoping to add some strip cards and caramel cards before the end of the year.

1921 Exhibit
maranville21EXHIBIT.jpg

1928 Block Brothers Post Card
maranville28BLOCKBROS.jpg

1929 Kashin
maranville29KASHIN.jpg

1933 DeLong
maranville33DELONG.jpg

1933 Goudey
maranville33GOUDEY.jpg

1934 Batter Up
maranville34BATTERUPGREEN.jpg

1934 Diamond Match Company
maranville34DMC.jpg

1935 Diamond Stars
maranville35DIAMONDSTARS.jpg

1935 Diamond Match Company
maranville35DMC.jpg

1936 National Chicle
maranville36NATIONALCHICLE.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Nice collection you have started!

I have just one question and it is not meant to be a smart ass or anything. Why Maranville? I see the other guys in your signature and can understand collecting them but Maranville, although not obscure, is not someone I would suspect to see many collectors going for. I am just curious as to why you chose him and what attracted you to his cards.

Edited to add...I have always loved the Batter's Up cards for some reason and the one you have is very nice. I have to find me a few of these.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Been awhile since I've found anything new, but landed a 1930 Cracker Jack pin for $20.50

maranville30CJPIN.jpg

Maranville was just an interesting character... a true showman who loved baseball, and always was clowning around with fans and teammates. His antics were legendary. He's a HOFer, but a lesser known one. I like collecting those guys, because you can still find deals on their cards. I didn't have a player collection in the 1920's and 1930's range, so Rabbit filled that space and its a pseudo type collection / player collection for me.

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Just now seeing this! Love the Delong set, wish Greenberg had a card in it..

Can't wait to seen you expand to cards over $50, vintage is an addiction!

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Also where did you find the Diamond Matchbooks? I need one of those, have never seen one though

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Zan - Diamond Matchbooks are fairly common on eBay. Both of mine have come from there.

Here's my newest Rabbit - $50 total. Low grade due to tape mark on back, but presents nicely! If you don't know the issue, here's info from SCD:

These die-cut, blank-back player cards were issued over the period 1921-30 for use with a board game called, “Major League Ball - The Indoor Baseball Game Supreme,” from The National Game Makers of Washington, D.C. Measuring about 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" tall x 1" to 1-1/4" wide, the cards were originally printed on a sheet of 14 from which they were punched out to play the game. The cards were issued in team sets with on-field roster changes reflected in the player cards over the years. Individual cards are generic, liberally sharing the same poses and portraits with identification possible only by changes to the uniform and the player ID printed in the box below the figure. That player data changed from year to year and the only way to determine exact year of issue is when the player card is found with a complete team set, often in a small pre-printed manila envelope. It is unknown whether all teams were issued in all years. According to information found with the game, stickers could be purchased each year to update the game’s figures with new player identification. Beginning in at least 1925 player cards were numbered at bottom within team set.

maranville21MLDIECUT.jpg

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1923 W515-1 Strip Card, these were issued in strips of 5 and had to be hand cut. Two versions exist. W515-1 is a little smaller than W515-2, and the illustration is cropped differently. In this condition, with a corner crease and irregular right edge, paid $25 delivered.

maranville23W515-1.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Upgraded my 1935 Diamond Matchbook (which I paid $4.50), to one with a full striker still intact (paid $10.50). Haven't heard about color variations on these, but one looks light blue and one looks green.

Old one:
maranville35DMC.jpg

New one:
maranville35DIAMONDMATCH.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Upgraded my 1935 Diamond Matchbook (which I paid $4.50), to one with a full striker still intact (paid $10.50). Haven't heard about color variations on these, but one looks light blue and one looks green.

Old one:
maranville35DMC.jpg

New one:
maranville35DIAMONDMATCH.jpg
The green one is a refractor.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
nice collection!

some info...
on the R316, there is another one, try to find the cards with the 'Made in USA' in bottom corner, they are from Canada and are much scarcer (but often found for the same price as many dont know there are 2 types)

on the Diamond Matchbook, this set is known as 'U2 Black Borders' ('U2' is the ACC#)... they are the scarcest of the 5 baseball related Diamond MB sets.... the U2s are from 1935 and complete at 24 different players...
(PS. Zan, Greenberg is not found in any of the 5 Diamond MB sets)

you picked an interesting and colorful player that has alot of cards (some will be very very tough)

might be of interest to you :)
here are 3 vintage signed letters by 'Rabbit', and also a contract

maranvilleletter1.jpgmaranvilleletter2a.jpgmaranvilleletter2b.jpgmaranvilleletter3.jpgmaranvillecontract.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
nice collection!

some info...
on the R316, there is another one, try to find the cards with the 'Made in USA' in bottom corner, they are from Canada and are much scarcer (but often found for the same price as many dont know there are 2 types)

on the Diamond Matchbook, this set is known as 'U2 Black Borders' ('U2' is the ACC#)... they are the scarcest of the 5 baseball related Diamond MB sets.... the U2s are from 1935 and complete at 24 different players...
(PS. Zan, Greenberg is not found in any of the 5 Diamond MB sets)

you picked an interesting and colorful player that has alot of cards (some will be very very tough)

might be of interest to you :)
here are 3 vintage signed letters by 'Rabbit', and also a contract

View attachment 16506View attachment 16507View attachment 16508View attachment 16509View attachment 16510

Thanks. While they are designated as "U2" in the American Card Catalog, not many list them as such, so if you're looking for them on eBay, search Diamond Match. PSA doesn't even slab them as U2.

I did learn that the U2 do have red, green and blue backgrounds behind the player image, so happy to have 2 of the 3. The 1934's (U1) have red, orange, blue and green borders.

Yep, I chose Rabbit for exactly the reasons you stated. I like having "type" cards, and Rabbit filled a hole for the 1910-1930 time frame. Lots of fun strip cards and classic sets to chase down. I'll probably never own a Boston Garter, but I did buy a Cracker Jack last year (but flipped it quickly for a $100 profit). Doing it as a $50 limit has some serious limitations, I may broaden it in the future but for now it's a fun challenge to see what I can get at that level. Been pleasantly surprised so far.

Last edited:

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
Hey GraceCollector, awesome collection! I myself am a fan of this era, and Rabbit has always intrigued me...he seemed like such a cut-up.

I'm not sure if you're interested, as this isn't a vintage item, but I'm selling a personal sketch card I created of Rabbit. I recently created almost 40 sketch cards for Leaf's Best of Hockey release, but with baseball being my true passion, I'm attempting to create artwork of every member of the Hall of Fame. I just finished this Rabbit sketch card yesterday.

ACEO 1 1 Sketch Card Rabbit Maranville Boston Braves HOF MLB by Juan Rosales | eBay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts