Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rabbit Maranville Vintage Under $50 Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So wow - I look a chance on this because I believed the seller after corresponding with him. But I just landed a cut auto of Rabbit for $50. Most guides have cuts of him at $250. I'm just hoping it's real. It looks good to me from the many examples I compared it to online. Here's the seller's story.

maranvilleCUTAUTO.jpg

"I accepted your offer and glad that it is going to a good home. My father informed me (seller is selling dad's auto collection) that his dad lived in New York and had it signed right before Rabbit passed away in 1954. It is signed on an old children's book or hymn type book page. My father informed that his dad actually knew Walter James Vincent's family and several other players back in the day due to the fact that he owned a tailor shop in New York City's Garment District."

Hope I wasn't fed a line of bull****. Final judgement when I get to see it in-hand.

Last edited:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
That's about how I am on a lot of autographs that I purchase. I fully investigate and compare, myself.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Four 1936 National Chicle premiums (not really cards, as they are paper stock) for $54 total. Sweet when your PC guy has a set that is all his own, but I'm only 1/4 of the way done on the 20 card set.

maranville36NATIONALCHICLE2.jpg

maranville36NATIONALCHICLE3.jpg

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow, no Rabbits in a year and a half. Most of what I need is hard to find under $50. Added this well-loved 1921 National Caramel for $25 on Jan. 3, so 2019 is already better than 2018.

maranville21NATIONALCARAMEL.jpg

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Very cool collection. I have what started out as a pre-war collection of a guy Frank (Shanty) Hogan. Hogan is my last name. He played for the Boston Braves, NY Giants and Washington Senators up until the mid 30's. I made an agreement with my wife. If I want to spend over $200.00 for a card. I'll let her know first. I don't spend any crazy money. She's good with that. I quickly ran out of Shanty Hogan cards to look for. I have a few of Willie (William) Hogan. Usually one from each pre-war set. Now I collect cards of any player in any sport, either first or last name Hogan. Hogan Bassey in boxing. Hogan Warton in football. Who would give their kid a first name like Hogan any way. :eek: I Don't collect any Hulk Hogan cards. He's an idiot !

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Found the red tint and two days later the brown tint to finish all six tint variations of the 1934 Batter Up issue. Red and green are considered the hardest, with the others about equal. Brown and black can be tough to identify in many eBay photos, which explains why brown was the last for me to buy (had to be sure, and hesitant not seeing card in person).

maranville_batterup.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Three more 1936 National Chicle R344 Premiums, bringing me to 8 of 20 for the set. $45 for the 3. Learned these were inserted with second series 1934-36 Batter's Up cards.

maranville36NATIONALCHICLE9.jpg

maranville36NATIONALCHICLE11.jpg

maranville36NATIONALCHICLE15.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This was an exciting pickup. After Rabbit's MLB career ended, he held various minor league manager positions. His final stop in organized baseball was with his hometown team, the Springfield (Massachusetts) Nationals of the Eastern League (A). Springfield welcomed their native son home with open arms, and on Feb. 19, 1941, city officials and sports boosters held a "Welcome Home Banquet" at the historic Kimball Hotel. Featured guests included MLB stars Johnny Evers, Ed Walsch and Hugh Duffy.

The program has an interesting metallic burnished cover stock that looks amazing but scans looking dirty or water damaged, which is unfortunate. A typed page was included in the program with a poem that was read by a local pastor in recognition of Maranville. Interesting the lyrics of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" has the word Park instead of Crowd - never seen it that way before.

The program has several pages including recaps of Maranville's MLB Debut, a biography of his baseball exploits as a boy with Springfield teams, and a look at the 1914 Miracle Braves. Also included is a great team photo of Rabbit on the 1910 Blue Labels league champion team of the Springfield Shop League.

I can only find one other example of this program on the internet, from a 2013 Hunt Auctions catalog. That program was autographed by Rabbit and the other dinner guests, so a different animal all together that sold for $850. I stayed just under my $50 limit on this program, so I'm quite happy!

maranville41WELCOMEHOME1.jpg

maranville41WELCOMEHOME2.jpg

maranville41WELCOMEHOME3.jpg

maranville41WELCOMEHOME4.jpg

maranville41WELCOMEHOME5.jpg

Last edited:

Members online