Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has anybody ever won a card on eBay for a price well above what you KNOW you bid on the card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I have been slowly selling off a huge vintage collection that I purchased a few months ago. I listed this card this week, and the auction ended today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=261095621819#ht_291wt_1141. I listed the card for $12 and would have been happy to have gotten that for it. There were a few bids that were a few bucks higher than that, so I had undervalued the card a little bit. Anyway, you can see that there was a late snipe bid for $92 that merely served to bump the auction winner up to a bid of $93. I knew as soon as the auction ended that I wouldn't be getting paid for this one!

My belief is that two "win at all cost" bids went up against each other. However, the buyer e-mailed me immediately and claimed that the $93 bid has to be erroneous because his max bid was $27.73. He requested a cancellation of the transaction.

Frankly, I don't believe his story but I knew there was no use fighting the battle because he was was never going to pay me $93 for the card. So I agreed to the cancellation.

The question is this -- has anybody ever had this happen to them as a BUYER, where eBay has placed a much higher bid than the absolute maximum you would have bid? It certainly has never happened to me...

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I have placed well over 10,000 bids on eBay in my life and this has never happened to me. I'm pretty sure it would only ever happen to somebody who is full of crap.

The buyer could sort of be telling the truth...they meant to bid $27.73 and made a typo, bidding $2,773 or something. I have done this a couple of times, immediately retracted, and placed my bid at the amount I meant to type.

Richard

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
The buyer could sort of be telling the truth...they meant to bid $27.73 and made a typo, bidding $2,773 or something.
Richard

Good call -- I bet that is exactly what happened. And just his luck that the first underbidder would make a "win at all costs" bid to expose the error...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Sounds like a complete lie to me, eBay doesn't randomly change people's bids to higher amounts. That has never happened and will never happen because if it did, they'd be constantly running into legal issues and probably would be out of business.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Before i knew about Snipping services I want a card that had 5min left but i had to run to my truck and wanted to bid in the last seconds. Instead of getting the bid ready I figured i could run to my truck and be back with couple minutes to spare. When I came back it had under a minute to go and instead of bidding 250 i bid 2500 as i rushed and just tried to get the bid in. Luckly no one bid past 250 so i got lucky but can you imagine if someone had bid a 1000 just to make sure they win it :lol:. With snipping services this no longer is a problem.

Latest posts