Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Prime: Most boring set ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I haven't seen anything out here that would make me remotely want to buy it yet. Heck it looks alot like Momentum with the 4 square, small pieces of jersey/patch on the front of the RPAs.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Sounds like 75-80% of the football products released this year...

Sadly I agree, when Topps Platinum is "Hot" you know it is a barren year for Panini. The wait for Chrome is unbearable right now with this utter crap being released.

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
Sadly I agree, when Topps Platinum is "Hot" you know it is a barren year for Panini. The wait for Chrome is unbearable right now with this utter crap being released.

actually platinum with its patch selection and size of patch has helped. Also like the diecuts etc. Like an upgraded Finest. Inception sucked. Chrome will be just a sister of platinum and finest and rely on its name only

The industry is crying for something new (or a well done something old) who is going to do it?

I can say with 100% certainty nobody will try anything. They have tried tallboys, video cards, slide shows. ALL meh

Bring back Donruss preffered, quantum etc. Basically all older DLP products and I would be happy

Last edited:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Platinum is not really a sister set of Chrome, it is more a sister set of Finest. Chrome doesn't rely on Patch Autos for it's major hits, its all about the colored autos so in alot of ways its very similar to Bowman Chrome for baseball. In fact I think that is why its so popular, we have been trained for many years about colored chrome parallels.

The problem is that all the parallels in other sets nobody really cares about. Is anyone really after the "Red" numbered to 25 auto parallels in Inception?

Crusade was brought back in FB and it is a terrible design with sticker autos by Panini and Leaf did the same thing with on card autos but College unis.

Gah the execution in FB is so lacking right now.

Topps- keeps putting out redundent sets that have the exact same hits, just different design (and most are terrible). People just want their Chrome autos and parallels.

Upper Deck- nobody trusts their redemptions or if they will even put a set out. Look at the prices for 2011 exquisite version of XRC RC's versus 2010 and you tell me if people aren't buying the 2011 timeline. They make nice cards but are quickly burning bridges.

Panini- Seriously Panini, if your best set is Prestige and I will give you a cudos for bringing Elite back from last years atrocity but still your products suck, even more than Topps. That takes some serious trying.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Remember when collectors couldn't wait until Leaf Certified and Contenders would come out, Panini has killed just about everything.

Kevin

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
2012 year of the cookie cutter in almost every single product out there.

The industry is crying for something new (or a well done something old) who is going to do it?

It is a pre-2012 problem. Things have been going down since 2009

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I think I'd rather buy a box of Prime than Momentum.

I agree with others though that there hasn't been a lot to be excited about.....I figured with this year's class (and some PC rookies) I'd want to buying virtually every product, but that really hasn't been the case.....and we're at the point now where there's not too many products left (in terms of sell sheets and info being released).

The most intriguing set at the moment to me may actually be Prominence. I'm not sure if the "value" is there, but the positive is at least there is some variety. Breaks look different. I appreciate the fact Panini didn't just try to create a new product based on one or two of those insert/auto sets, which has been the norm of late.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I think baseball needs to look at a few things Udall has done with its exquisite line. Those shadow box cards are nice.

Upper Deck needs to release products in the same year that is on their boxes. Collectors will eventually run out of patience, ESPECIALLY for college uni cards. Release them early and fast IMO.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
The cards look very meh to me. Sticker autos galore.

yeah and no offense, but i can't get excited about peyton manning's backup, same with reuben randle. that's like getting the other guy the redskins drafted or mike vick's backup.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
I love Prime...Of course I hit this in a group break and it may have swayed me a little.

GriffinQuadAuto.jpg

Members online

Latest posts