User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Election Day

tbtwinsfan
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The person in question was just on the city council and not on the ballot for Washington. The family continued the incumbent's campaign in his memory, and I don't know for sure but I am guessing the voters voted for him out of respect.

Might not have been the place and time for it though, I don't know.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBTwinsFan View Post
    The person in question was just on the city council and not on the ballot for Washington. The family continued the incumbent's campaign in his memory, and I don't know for sure but I am guessing the voters voted for him out of respect.

Might not have been the place and time for it though, I don't know.

It's a stupid law that a dead man can't be taken off a ballot.

Now the town gets to waste god knows how much tax payer money on a special election.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post

Now the town gets to waste god knows how much tax payer money on a special election.
    It's the same with Paul Ryan being able to stay on the ballot in Wisconsin. IF Romney/Ryan had won, the the people of Ryan's district would have had to foot the bill for another election, not to mention all the crap they would have had to sit through during another US Congress election (ads and what-not).
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    I voted for mitt Romney

But it's an Alabama ballot so it really didn't matter.
    you need to change your passport

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post

Apparently those taxpayers don't care since they elected him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hive17 View Post
    It's the same with Paul Ryan being able to stay on the ballot in Wisconsin. IF Romney/Ryan had won, the the people of Ryan's district would have had to foot the bill for another election, not to mention all the crap they would have had to sit through during another US Congress election (ads and what-not).
    No different than a useless recall election.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinne View Post
    No different than a useless recall election.
    isnt it just easier to say both are stupid?

"but they did it too" should be left in your childhood.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, where is cowboysrule? He's been absent going on 4 days now. Do you think he is ok? Maybe he moved to some obscure country?

I would like to hear his take on things, as he usually comes off as the most calm/rationed of the supporters of the right, even if I disagree with the bulk of what he says.
    Fool me once, shame on you....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTfor3 View Post
    Seriously, where is cowboysrule? He's been absent going on 4 days now. Do you think he is ok? Maybe he moved to some obscure country?

I would like to hear his take on things, as he usually comes off as the most calm/rationed of the supporters of the right, even if I disagree with the bulk of what he says.
    All joking aside. As much as that guy was probably working over the last couple of weeks I hope he's sitting on the beach drinking and watching the ladies.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitt Romney may not be very popular anymore...

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/n...-election.html
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTfor3 View Post

I'm fine. I truly expected Mitt Romney to win. I can't believe it's been only two weeks since the election, it feels like it's been much longer. The day after the election I sat at home and watched How I Met Your Mother DVD's all day, I needed something mindless to distract me. I had planned a post-election trip to DC to visit some friends from when I used to live there, almost cancelled that but glad I still went. It was good to get away from Central Florida for a bit.

Election night was honestly one of the most depressing nights of my life. Republicans get absolutely destroyed in Central Florida. Seats that should've been safe were lost by razor-thin margins. The main reason it was so depressing was not because of the election results, but I had to sit there at the "victory" party watching as some of my closest friends lost their jobs as their bosses were defeated. It was a rough night (though I don't remember most of it after the election was called other than wandering the bars in downtown Orlando). My boss thankfully won his election, but it was pure Hell watching the looks on people's faces that I care deeply about as they learned they were soon to be unemployed. That's the nature of the business, and we all know what we're getting into, but it still sucks.

As to what happened? I think it's very clear that the GOP had a massive failure in their GOTV efforts. Turnout was way down. Obama going something like 6 million less votes than he did in 2008, while Romney narrowly underperformed McCain. I still contend it should've been a Romney landslide, but the GOP just had a miserable failure. I've heard countless stories about what went wrong with GOTV that I can't really get into here. Google Project Orca though. What a mess.

When you look at the margins in FL, VA, OH and CO, Romney essentially lost the White House by about 400,000 votes.

I still feel that Romney would've made a great POTUS, and I find it very disappointing that many conservatives instantly took the "I told you so" approach when it came to Romney. I've had many people tell me we could've won if Romney wasn't shoved down our throats as the nominee. That's BS, when the majority of Republicans voted for him in the primary, he wasn't "shoved down our throats." He was the best candidate, and we came up short.

I'm fearful for what four more years of this administration is going to do. The 2014 mid-terms are going to be interesting. I'm also interested to see if these leads to a resurgence of the Tea Party (not what the TP is now, but the original motives of less spending and smaller government, not the extreme crazy wing of the GOP).

I'm truthfully excited for the future of the conservative movement however. I think this election might help to purge people like Akin and Mourdock from positions of prominence in the GOP. I've had many conservations with friends about this. My generation of young conservatives are much more open-minded on social issues than those who came before us. The GOP needs to embrace what we stand for, individual freedom and responsibility, and stop trying to legislate morality (I've said this countless times on this board). It's a winning message that is hampered by the far right of the party who grab the headlines.

I really think this antiquated style of thinking when it comes to social issues for conservatives is going to phase out, and it will truly become a movement of individual freedom, and that excites me.

I wasn't avoiding this topic because Republicans lost, I just needed to clear my head for awhile.

As I drunkenly posted on facebook the night of the election, I'll never stop fighting what for what I believe America is about, and no election can change that.

Jeb Bush '16
    Fan of: Dallas Cowboys, Missouri Tigers, Tampa Bay Rays, St. Louis Cardinals and Ben Zobrist

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm truthfully excited for the future of the conservative movement however. I think this election might help to purge people like Akin and Mourdock from positions of prominence in the GOP. I've had many conservations with friends about this. My generation of young conservatives are much more open-minded on social issues than those who came before us. The GOP needs to embrace what we stand for, individual freedom and responsibility, and stop trying to legislate morality (I've said this countless times on this board). It's a winning message that is hampered by the far right of the party who grab the headlines.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Lose the religion/morality garbage and stop pandering to small town god fearing trailer park trash, and the GOP will have my vote again

Do you know Matt Mackowiak? Or know of him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Lose the religion/morality garbage and stop pandering to small town god fearing trailer park trash, and the GOP will have my vote again

Do you know Matt Mackowiak? Or know of him?
    I've never heard of him.

I don't think it's fair to call religion garbage, and I understand why people use it to dictate their views. I make no effort to hide that I am a Christian. However, in a country that was founded on the principles that we were, I've just come to the rationalization that it's not appropriate to legislate those beliefs. Like I've said before, I draw the line at the life issue because I believe life is sacred, but even there I think conservatives would have a much better message compromising on rape/incest and be done with it. Those abortions account for less than 1% of all of them regardless.

I have no problems with politicians embracing and talking about their faith, the vast majority of this country believes in some kind of supreme being. I just don't believe in legislating morality. Other than abortion my social views are much closer to the Democratic party than the GOP, but I don't vote based on social issues.

I'm not libertarian, but I think the libertarian mindset is going to help push the GOP to where it needs to go in the future. Thankfully, the majority of young conservatives hold the same views as I do when it comes to social issues, and that number will continue to grow as time marches on and those that bring far right wing social policy to the forefront are gone from power.

I'll do some googling on Mackowiak.
    Fan of: Dallas Cowboys, Missouri Tigers, Tampa Bay Rays, St. Louis Cardinals and Ben Zobrist

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a GOP strategist. I've known him since we were in elementary school

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    He's a GOP strategist. I've known him since we were in elementary school
    Awesome. I mostly only know the strategists in Florida. I see he used to be a Press Secretary on the Hill. I used to want to do that, but I have no desire to go back to DC at this point.