Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*** Meet The METS -All things NY Mets related ***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Let's see, around '69 you had your core of Harrelson, Seaver, et al, and they went out and got Agee, Grote, and Clendennon... Early 70's, same core, added Mays...late 70's are a wash... Early 80's like I said, have Gooden and Strawberry, add Kid and Mex... Fast forward to 00's, have Wright and Reyes, add Delgado and Pedro... I don't see the facts backing you up there ...

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Show your Wrights.....

08_wright_2of6.jpg
09_wright_auto_3of6.jpg
09_wright_4of6.jpg

WaxPax

Yea, there's always something with the Mets ........:benson:

ESPN New York's Adam Rubin reports that Jordany Valdespin was suspended from playing for his Dominican Winter Ball team due to insubordination.

The suspension kept him out of action for two weeks. Valdespin's maturity has been an issue at times, so the Mets likely aren't thrilled to hear about his latest misstep. The 24-year-old batted .241/.286/.424 with eight home runs, 26 RBI and a .710 OPS in 94 games with the Mets this past season.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Talked to Wally Backman once, when he was coaching Valdespin in AA, told me he was dumber than a box of rocks...

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
"What I Believe The Mets Should Do This Offseason"

Obviously the New York Mets have a ton of work to do to gain access to the top of the NL East, or at least be a playoff contender for the Wild Card. They fell way short last year. After a strong first half, the Mets offensively fell off the charts after the All Star Break. The only bright spots of their season was the strong performance of David Wright and the Cy Young winning performance of RA Dickey, who's story has became one of the best in baseball during the 2012 season. I have a plan for the Mets that could possibly set them up for a very solid playoff run in the 2014 Season, and possibly a Pirates of 2012 like run in the 2013 season. Here is what I believe the Mets should do:

1) The Mets should wait until Zack Greinke signs a contract with another team before they trade any of their starting pitchers (Jon Niese or RA Dickey). Once Greinke signs, teams that missed out on him will increase their interest in Dickey, and talks with be reported to be more serious. RA, who has expressed alot of interest in staying in NY, will be 'scared' by the trade rumors and will sign a 2 year contract extension with the Mets.

2) After RA Dickey is signed for at least 2 years, the Mets should then deal Jon Niese to the Blue Jays for some sort of package that includes right handed catcher JP Arencibia. He has hit 18 and 23 Homeruns over the past two seasons. He has had a low batting average over his first three years in the league, staying in the .200-.240 range. However, he is 26 years of age and is coming into his prime and I believe he is a strong prospect who will likely increase his average to around .270-.290. His batting average has increased slowly over his first 3 years in the league, so I don't think a high 200's batting average is out of question. I fully expect the power numbers to remain in the 20-25 home run range as well. I believe the Mets would also be able to get a B grade prospect in return for Niese along with Arencibia, which will help strengthen their farm system which, besides for Wilmer Flores, has few hitting prospects near the top of it.

3) The Mets should make an offer to trade for Outfielder Dexter Fowler from the Colorado Rockies, who has reportedly been a possibly trade piece for the Rockies in the market for starting pitching help. The Mets would offer pitching prospect Jeury's Familia, and Jordanny Valdespin, which I believe would be enough to get Fowler. Familia spent almost the entirety of last year in AAA, and has a strong high 90's fastball and should be MLB ready this coming year. Dexter Fowler is a Super 2 and is arbitration eligible through 2016, so the Mets will have him guaranteed for at least 3 years. They will most likely be able to negotiate a long term contract after his first year with the Mets. Fowler is also 26 years of age, and is coming into his prime. He is a strong defensive outfielder than can realistically play any of the three outfield positions. He batted .300 last year with 12 home runs and 12 stolen bases. However, with Fowler's speed, I see no reason why with a little work, he can't get back to his 20+ steal numbers that he had in his first season in the majors. His speed and gap to gap hitting will work perfectly in the spacious Citi Field, and will lead him to get many doubles and triples. He is a pure leadoff hitter which the Mets lack.

I think these moves would give the Mets a solid and balanced lineup and keep it with a strong pitching staff, including Dickey, Santana, Harvey, Gee, and hopefully Zack Wheeler as he projects to be ready sometime this year to be promoted. After this season, the full contracts of Jason Bay and Johan Santana will be off the books, and the Mets should be free to sign a strong free agent outfielder who is All Star caliber and give them the edge they need to be a successful and competitive team in the NL East.

WaxPax

Members online