Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is anyone doubting the Patriots are the best team in football?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'd have no qualms putting Brady in top five of last 15 years or so along side Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, and arguably Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning. Go much beyond this time frame and there are some very solid names to compete with: Roger Staubach, Steve Young, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkington, John Elway, Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas, and Otto Graham. That still puts Brady in the top 12 or so.

I can't even wrap my head around all of this. Tarkington? You can't even spell his name right. How great can he be if people can't even remember how to spell his name? A lot of those names are not even in the discussion of greatest QB of all time.

Top 12, lol. You guys must really hate the Patriots and Tom Brady.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
My bad on Tarkenton (worse, I grew up in MN). Not a Pats/Brady fan but not a hater as I appreciate good football. I'm a Packers fan and I wouldn't have Bart Starr in my top 12. Next argument. Sure, if you are just gonna compare stats and rings straight up then Brady could be #1. There are many more factors to explore including era, team composition, type of team offense, etc. It is with this one can reasonably argue Brady might not even be a top 10 guy. Many top 10 type lists have the names I mentioned. Kind of a facetious debate though. Does it really matter if Brady is rated 5 or 12? It's pretty damn good either way you look at it.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hard to compare a modern day QB to guys that played the position when you needed balls to do so.

just like with baseball, seems that football is turning into a numbers geek's sport.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
nostalgia doesn't make a player great. Just because a guy is old doesn't mean no one was better than him.

Interesting stats, interpret as you will:
In 84 when Marino set the previous passing yards record, his Dolphins lead the league in scoring. They averaged 2.375 ppg more than the #2 team.
In 2007 the Pats averaged 8.375 ppg more than #2.
2008 (brady injury)
2009 (coming back from injury, middle of the pack)
In 2010 the Pats averaged 4.8125 ppg more than #2.
2011 - Third in scoring
2012 - 7.27 ppg ahead of #2

The NFL is different now than it was years ago, but everyone plays by the same rules now and Brady leads the most dynamic offense the league has ever seen.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Someone remind me of the last time New England actaully won a Super Bowl...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
i think its safe to say there are more rules now then 30 years ago.

you arent even allowed to hit the QB anymore

Yes, so the only way to do it is to compare the QB to other QB's of his era. I haven't done the research, but I would think Brady compares pretty favorably statistically, winning percentage, # of super bowls, and awards to the other QB's playing in his generation. And that's with playing with some pretty awful receivers for a good part of his career. To what degree does he stand out, if he does, and then do a similar comparison to the other greats listed.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Fair points. Its the age old problem of "one's opinion" i suppose.

ive got no problem with Brady. He's great at what he does. i just dont like that Topps missed his RC lol

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I don't care if they lost 3 games....look at their offense and their (slightly) improved defense. The don't have Gronk and they put up 49 vs the Jets......When Hernandez and Gronk are healthy in the playoffs, who is going to stop them?

Honestly, I've always been a die-hard Pats fan, since the rookie year of Bledsoe. The year they went 16-0 and lost vs. the Giants, I was nervous in the Super Bowl. Last year, I was STILL nervous in the Super Bowl b/c they barely scathed the Ravens and the Giants front line. This year, they look too dominant. The have clicked mid-season. Unless some NFC clicks later in the season (like the XXXXing Giants), I don't see any team challenging the Pats for their 4th title.

BTW, Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all-time and the only debatable candidate is Joe Montana. But since I'm biased, it's Brady.

I disagree about Brady being the G.O.A.T. But I may agree on Montana.

My reasoning is look at what happened when Brady went down on injury...Pats still do well and Matt Cassel gets signed to a huge contract the next year.

When someone like Peyton Manning goes down to injury...it's ugly.

I think you can see the value of a great QB there. A great QB can make or break the entire offense. IMO even Tony Romo would be a QB legend if he played for the Pats. It's just a well run offense.

May not be a popular comment...
Let the hate and disagreement ensue!

Last edited:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Ugh nothing worse than Patriot fans whining about not getting enough respect, jesus christ no wonder people hate your team.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

My reasoning is look at what happened when Brady went down on injury...Pats still do well and Matt Cassel gets signed to a huge contract the next year.

When someone like Peyton Manning goes down to injury...it's ugly.

I think you can see the value of a great QB there. A great QB can make or break the entire offense. IMO even Tony Romo would be a QB legend if he played for the Pats. It's just a well run offense.

May not be a popular comment...
Let the hate and disagreement ensue!

The rest of that Colts team had nothing on the rest of that Pats team. The Patriots also built their team smarter, and were able to adapt with a different QB. I'm fine if people don't think Brady is #1, but I just don't like that argument. Because a team has a terrible GM and relies to heavily on his QB doesn't mean the QB is better than one on an all around balanced team.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

Did they make the playoffs that year?

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
The rest of that Colts team had nothing on the rest of that Pats team. The Patriots also built their team smarter, and were able to adapt with a different QB. I'm fine if people don't think Brady is #1, but I just don't like that argument. Because a team has a terrible GM and relies to heavily on his QB doesn't mean the QB is better than one on an all around balanced team.

Actually, yes, yes it does mean that the player has to play at a higher level just to be able to win. Brady could have off games and still win while Peyton could not.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Biased Giants fan here, and I say we take another championship. :)

Eli is the most clutch QB out there. He had a few bad games but who doesn't? They beat the crap out of Green Bay this week in a game that most analysts picked GB. Also, kicked SF's ass earlier in the season.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Biased Giants fan here, and I say we take another championship. :)

Eli is the most clutch QB out there. He had a few bad games but who doesn't? They beat the crap out of Green Bay this week in a game that most analysts picked GB. Also, kicked SF's ass earlier in the season.

That's taking it to the extreme. Obviously, a fan of the Patriots, I don't have much argument b/c of the past two Super Bowls. But Eli was DEFINITELY lucky in match 1. I give him some credit in match 2; he made some epic passes. But he's on par with Ben Roethlisberger for me. He's just fortunate to be on the hot team at the right time. I would've been sick to my stomach if Rodgers hadn't beat Ben a couple years ago. Big Ben with 3 rings? Ugh....Eli = Phil Simms....and Ben = Terry Bradshaw. Nuff said.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN

So Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Joseph Addai and the rest of the colts had nothing on that Pats team?

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Cassel was able to flourish because he played for a known cheater! Can you imagine how many more championships Peyton would've won had he known the other teams plays?
Peyton is the best QB of all time and there really is no question about that. You can throw out the number of rings Brady has won, but you must be willing to admit that Trent Dilfer is a QB than Marino.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Cassel was able to flourish because he played for a known cheater! Can you imagine how many more championships Peyton would've won had he known the other teams plays?
Peyton is the best QB of all time and there really is no question about that. You can throw out the number of rings Brady has won, but you must be willing to admit that Trent Dilfer is a QB than Marino.

LMAO.....you must be pretty naive if you think what the Patriots got caught for, no other team does. They ALL do it.

And seriously with the Dilfer comment? Dilfer made one super bowl and won it. Brady has been to 5 Super Bowls and won 3. Big difference there chief.

I probably won't take anything you say on the subject seriously now. You lost all merit.