User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Refractor Project

  1. #1
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Refractor Project

    I've been away from collecting in quite awhile. Circumstances beyond my control kept me from collecting and I've had the unfortunate setback of parting with a good chunk of my Tony Clark collection to keep things afloat.

    With that in mind, things are finally back on track the way I'd like and I've decided to start a long-term project that will allow me to collect with my son and daughter for a few years. That project is what I call The Refractor Project.

    The idea is simple: starting with 1993 and ending with 1999, I'd like to collect one refractor per set/per year. For example, in 1994 has 5 refractors: 1994 Finest, 1994 Finest FIN, 1994 Bowman's Best Red/Blue/Mirror Image. Right now, with the help of George Calfas, I have what I call a master checklist for baseball, totaling over 184 refractors alone for 7 years.

    Feel free to check out the website, www.therefractorproject.com, follow on Twitter (@therefproj), Like on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TheRefractorProject), and even Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/115562...26149191/posts).

    As the site is just getting started, feel free to look around and provide feedback.

    Note: Right now I don't have any cards uploaded to the site yet. I'm working on a gallery that will enable me to upload and post with minimal issue. Also, for some reason the firewall here at work will not allow me to access Google Docs so I'm unable to embed the checklist at the moment.
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; 12-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member PadresFan86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,554
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. Can't wait to see the progress. I've always been intrigued by certain refractors too, especially the atomic refractors.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PadresFan86 View Post
    Very cool. Can't wait to see the progress. I've always been intrigued by certain refractors too, especially the atomic refractors.
    Thanks!

    For me, the 1996 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors are my fav of the Atomics. Think Superfractor design. The 1997 is more of an Xfractor feel, at least to me.

    In any case, this will definitely be a fun project.

  4. #4
    Senior Member notjomommasclint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    a forehead south of your moms belly button
    Posts
    7,233
     venomous4545
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    The Refractor Project

    Good luck Tim!
    I'm not a hater!!! I'm a counter hype specialist

  5. #5
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member PadresFan86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,554
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me forever to find a Caminiti 96 Atomic. There was one on ebay for 50 and the guy wouldn't drop the price. One popped up on COMC for a few bucks. I couldn't hit the button to purchase it fast enough. The guy on ebay dropped his to 20 I believe. Only 2 I've seen in a year and half.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PadresFan86 View Post
    Took me forever to find a Caminiti 96 Atomic. There was one on ebay for 50 and the guy wouldn't drop the price. One popped up on COMC for a few bucks. I couldn't hit the button to purchase it fast enough. The guy on ebay dropped his to 20 I believe. Only 2 I've seen in a year and half.
    Lucky for me, I'm not searching for specific players

  8. #8
    Senior Member George_Calfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Urbana
    Posts
    36,230
     rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    The Refractor Project

    Tim, shoot me your addy and Monday I will send you a bunch of 96&97s.

  9. #9
    Senior Member JoshHamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll find some as well, hopefully this weekend

  10. #10
    Senior Member PadresFan86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,554
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just gave away all my refractor doubles. Let us know when you update your list. I'll send you my doubles when I come across some more.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I hope to get scans up ASAP of the ones I have already. George, I sent a PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member JoshHamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    94 Finest Terry Pendleton
    94 Finest FIN MOM Larkin
    95 Finest Heathcliff Slocumb
    96 Topps Chrome Masters Of The Game Lee Smith
    96 Topps Mystery Finest Young Stars Jim Edmonds
    96 Topps Chrome Molitor
    97 Bowman Crhrome Int'l ref. Todd Greene
    97 Bowman's Best Int'l Preview Larry Walker
    97 Bowman's Best Konerko
    97 Bowman's Best Best Buts Atomic Ref Wilton Guerrero
    97 Finest Competitors (common bronze) Ray Lankford
    1997 Topps Mystery Finest Olerud
    1998 Finest Appier (dual sided ref? The reverse side is a refractor as well)
    99 Finest Split Screen Glaus ref/Chavez ref

    Here's what I found. Cross them off your list, I'll send them to you Monday. Email of fb message me your addy

  13. #13
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    94 Finest Terry Pendleton
    94 Finest FIN MOM Larkin
    95 Finest Heathcliff Slocumb
    96 Topps Chrome Masters Of The Game Lee Smith
    96 Topps Mystery Finest Young Stars Jim Edmonds
    96 Topps Chrome Molitor
    97 Bowman Crhrome Int'l ref. Todd Greene
    97 Bowman's Best Int'l Preview Larry Walker
    97 Bowman's Best Konerko
    97 Bowman's Best Best Buts Atomic Ref Wilton Guerrero
    97 Finest Competitors (common bronze) Ray Lankford
    1997 Topps Mystery Finest Olerud
    1998 Finest Appier (dual sided ref? The reverse side is a refractor as well)
    99 Finest Split Screen Glaus ref/Chavez ref

    Here's what I found. Cross them off your list, I'll send them to you Monday. Email of fb message me your addy
    I believe the 1998 Finest you have is the no-peel version. It's a way to tell the two apart in case someone were to peel the coating off a regular refractor and tried to pass it off as a no-peel version.

    PM sent.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, looking at the checklist and then checking out eBay and COMC, I missed out on some nice refractor parallels in the late 90s. And that's just by looking at baseball.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •