Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hanrahan to Boston for Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel - 6 players total

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Will be a six player trade but right now it's Joel Hanrahan going to Boston for Jerry Sands and Pimentel.

2 heading to Boston, 4 heading to Pittsburgh.

I already like the deal for Pittsburgh, hopefully they get 2 more solid players.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I imagine he will take the closer's job from Bailey and if he doesn't, he's definitely insurance.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Great move to counter the Orioles moves this offseason.

Hey, $12 million for Victorino, $9.5 million for Stephen Drew, $5 million for Jonny Gomes, and $13 million for Ryan dempster in 2013...who can argue with those moves.

Smooches.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Well the $300 I have invested in Pimentel likely won't ever amount to anything. He was a near certainty to get DFA'd at some point within the next 12 months, but hoped he would turn the corner and make an appearance in Boston by the end of the year.

Though this might allow him to get to the bigs quicker, and if he pitches well, hopefully it turns into some sort of return, even if at a loss

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
I actually love this deal...we basically gave up nothing. Sands is ok..and Pimentel is trash. Ive seen him pitch many times the last couple of yrs and there was nothing to be excited about w/ him.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Hm, not a bad trade at all...can NEVER have enough quality bullpen arms. Pimentel has no future with the Sox and I wish they would have given Sands a shot but Gomez is probably the better of the two anyways.

The original rumors were of Morales or Doubront for Hanrahan so I like this trade MUCH much better!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Anyone have any idea who the other players involved are??

Will be a six player trade but right now it's Joel Hanrahan going to Boston for Jerry Sands and Pimentel.

2 heading to Boston, 4 heading to Pittsburgh.

I already like the deal for Pittsburgh, hopefully they get 2 more solid players.

Why do you like this trade for Pitt? They lose an all-star closer, gain a scrub AA pitcher and a decent AAA player who doesn't have a spot on Pitt's roster.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Anyone have any idea who the other players involved are??

Why do you like this trade for Pitt? They lose an all-star closer, gain a scrub AA pitcher and a decent AAA player who doesn't have a spot on Pitt's roster.

Hanrahan is a dime a dozen. Relief pitchers are not hard to replace. With Pittsburgh getting two more players on top of Sands (55 HR past two years in AAA and can play 1B) and Pimentel (there's no reason why he can't bounce back, especially with a decent change up like he has), it's a cost-effective trade. They also free up millions in payroll that they were essentially a pitcher who throws 50-60 IP a year and can spend on a decent bat.

Although, I heard one of the other two players is Mark Melancon, which kind of sours the trade a bit.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Hanrahan is a dime a dozen. Relief pitchers are not hard to replace. With Pittsburgh getting two more players on top of Sands (55 HR past two years in AAA and can play 1B) and Pimentel (there's no reason why he can't bounce back, especially with a decent change up like he has), it's a cost-effective trade. They also free up millions in payroll that they were essentially a pitcher who throws 50-60 IP a year and can spend on a decent bat.

Although, I heard one of the other two players is Mark Melancon, which kind of sours the trade a bit.
That makes it even MORE of a win for the Sox!!!

Pimentel has had zero success in double A, so there is no reason to expect him to be decent in the majors. Apparently he has trouble repeating his delivery which is not a good thing for a pitcher.

Sands has potential but again....he has nowhere to play in Pitt, so unless they are using him for trade bait he won't be useful for a season or so.

If Pitt did it solely to shed payroll, I think they could have got a better return (although I guess they have been interested in Pimentel for a while now).

Are you saying any relief pitcher is a dime a dozen or all-star closers are dime a dozen? If it's the latter, then I disagree (but maybe you can elaborate further?). Anytime you can strengthen your bullpen like that, you do it. Especially since none of the confirmed players in this trade were going to have an impact in Boston anytime soon. Red Sox should easily have one of [if not the] best bullpen in baseball, that will officially hinge on whether Bailey/Bard can get back into form. I'm not too worried about Bailey assuming he can stay healthy, and I am hoping that having Bard back in the bullpen he will get his head on straight. We'll see. I do like the moves the Red Sox have made this offseason, especially because we haven't signed any $100mil players or traded away any top prospects [yet, lol]. I hope that Ben C is done making moves though and maybe signing some players to minor league contracts now. Should be an interesting 2013 season, can't wait. :D

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Just read Clayton Mortensen might be in this deal as well. If they can unload Melancon (who was just awful), Mortenson (very expendable), Pimental (no future) and Sands (makes dumping Crawford even better) all in one shot, its a no-brainer. The Sox get something back for players who were either sub-0 WAR players, or were going to be DFA'd and given away for nothing anyways.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
My responses in bold below:

That makes it even MORE of a win for the Sox!!!

Yes it is. I was hoping Pittsburgh would get a couple single A players and not take on a horrible MLB relief pitcher. But that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Pimentel has had zero success in double A, so there is no reason to expect him to be decent in the majors. Apparently he has trouble repeating his delivery which is not a good thing for a pitcher.

I wouldn't say he had ZERO success, but he did have a below average year for someone who was once a top prospect. But that doesn't mean he cannot bounce back. Looking at Johan Santana's year in SINGLE A before he was taken by the Twins in Rule V draft. The potential is still there and it's a low risk move for the Pirates.

Sands has potential but again....he has nowhere to play in Pitt, so unless they are using him for trade bait he won't be useful for a season or so.

There's no reason why if Sands has a good ST, that he cannot find 400-500 ABs as their starting 1B and being a 4th OF.

If Pitt did it solely to shed payroll, I think they could have got a better return (although I guess they have been interested in Pimentel for a while now).

I think there were a couple reasons Pittsburgh made this trade. We don't know for sure who the final two players are and who the second player is going to Boston, so the final outcome and analysis is to be determined. I think, with a team like Pittsburgh, they are trying to add depth and being cost-effective. Even with just Sands and Pimentel, they accomplished that.

Are you saying any relief pitcher is a dime a dozen or all-star closers are dime a dozen? If it's the latter, then I disagree (but maybe you can elaborate further?). Anytime you can strengthen your bullpen like that, you do it. Especially since none of the confirmed players in this trade were going to have an impact in Boston anytime soon. Red Sox should easily have one of [if not the] best bullpen in baseball, that will officially hinge on whether Bailey/Bard can get back into form. I'm not too worried about Bailey assuming he can stay healthy, and I am hoping that having Bard back in the bullpen he will get his head on straight. We'll see. I do like the moves the Red Sox have made this offseason, especially because we haven't signed any $100mil players or traded away any top prospects [yet, lol]. I hope that Ben C is done making moves though and maybe signing some players to minor league contracts now. Should be an interesting 2013 season, can't wait. :D

I'm speaking from Pittsburgh's point of view and strictly their payroll here - not the Red Sox who can afford to pay $3-6 million/year for each RP. Relief pitchers are the EASIEST position to replace in baseball. And if you can have a guy be just as effective in the closer's role as your All-Star closer the previous two years, save a few million, AND add some depth to your farm/MLB team, why wouldn't you do it? Look at the Rays...they've had a different closer every year the past few years and they continually have one of the best bullpens in baseball. There's no reason why guys like Jared Hughes or Jason Grilli or a young stud in the farm cannot replace Hanrahan.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Just read Clayton Mortensen might be in this deal as well. If they can unload Melancon (who was just awful), Mortenson (very expendable), Pimental (no future) and Sands (makes dumping Crawford even better) all in one shot, its a no-brainer. The Sox get something back for players who were either sub-0 WAR players, or were going to be DFA'd and given away for nothing anyways.
Shucks, I liked Mortensen....he was our go to long reliever last season. Filthy change-up.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
He might not be in it anymore...I don't see his name attached to this deal any longer, just Pimental, Sands, and Melancon.
I thought it was a 6 player deal though? There should be one more going to Boston as well as Pitt. Hopefully you are right about him not being involved.

Members online