User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to buy and set up a SALT WATER AQUARIUM?

dealsatsecuredsports
     securedsports
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now wondering if i go with an all in one set up since I am a beginner, budget is roughly $500 to start, looking at the Oceanic 29 HQI Biocube, does anybody know anyone who has these.?

"Collecting Everything and Anything Dustin Pedroia Related"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been some good info and some bad info in the thread so far.

I registered for the site just to help you out. I've been in the aquarium industry for 18 years. While a lot of things you'll hear are opinion, there is not single right way to do things.

First thing to remember is there are not any rules of thumb that actually mean anything. Ie 1" of fish per 10 gallons or 1lb of rock per gallon and so forth.

If you're looking for a tank like the bio cube, I would actually recommend Either the Innovative Marine Nuvo or the JBJ rimless 30. The Nuvo comes in 30g and 38g in white and black. It's probably the nicest overall nano tank on the market. They also make a really nice skimmer for the tank that works really good in the nano environment. As for lighting, I now recommend LED on all setups, but it's important that you buy a decent light. There are some really crappy cheap LEDs on the market that will give you nothing but headaches with a reef setup. The most important thing to remember when you're scaping your rocks is to do something that is pleasant to your eyes. Also keep in mind the maintenance involved in the setup and not to get the rocks too close to the viewing panels of glass so you're able to clean all the viewing sides.

Stay away from the cheap 55g setup and light. For $150 the LED you get will not be adequate for long term performance.

dealsatsecuredsports
     securedsports
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
    There has been some good info and some bad info in the thread so far.

I registered for the site just to help you out. I've been in the aquarium industry for 18 years. While a lot of things you'll hear are opinion, there is not single right way to do things.

First thing to remember is there are not any rules of thumb that actually mean anything. Ie 1" of fish per 10 gallons or 1lb of rock per gallon and so forth.

If you're looking for a tank like the bio cube, I would actually recommend Either the Innovative Marine Nuvo or the JBJ rimless 30. The Nuvo comes in 30g and 38g in white and black. It's probably the nicest overall nano tank on the market. They also make a really nice skimmer for the tank that works really good in the nano environment. As for lighting, I now recommend LED on all setups, but it's important that you buy a decent light. There are some really crappy cheap LEDs on the market that will give you nothing but headaches with a reef setup. The most important thing to remember when you're scaping your rocks is to do something that is pleasant to your eyes. Also keep in mind the maintenance involved in the setup and not to get the rocks too close to the viewing panels of glass so you're able to clean all the viewing sides.

Stay away from the cheap 55g setup and light. For $150 the LED you get will not be adequate for long term performance.
    Thank you for the information, this helps out quite a bit, so what you mean by rocks is make sure all 4 sides can be cleaned easily without disrupting the reef, that makes sense.

tgsportscards
     one5fightwear
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck with your setup. i would say while everyone might have different opinions on what to do and not to do one thing everyone would agree on is be patient. give your tank time to fully cycle before adding any of those delicate fish. your live rock will cycle the tank for you and give you something to look at while you wait. I agree with LED lighting it seems to be really taking over in reef keeping. I am a fish only with live rock kinda guy but even so I have nice lighting on my tank because the live rock has so much stuff going on with it and the coralline algae growth is amazing. I have owned tanks off and on since the early 90s. Its better than a TV if you are into it...
    Collecting Yoenis Cespedes, Mike Moustakas , Eric Hosmer, Freddie Freeman, Gavin Cecchini, Kyle Zimmer and in the early stages of putting together the 1975 Topps Mini set PSA 8.

dealsatsecuredsports
     securedsports
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so where is the best and most affordable way to do this to get this Innovative Marino Nuvo Black 38 Gallon Tank. Do you need a stand or is on top of my large desk fine? Do I get at local pet store or deal online?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you have alot of time on your hands,thats what it will take ohhh and money. I know 5 friends that had them. It lasted on avg a year. They all got rid of them.
    Good luck to you.

dealsatsecuredsports
     securedsports
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    I hope you have alot of time on your hands,thats what it will take ohhh and money. I know 5 friends that had them. It lasted on avg a year. They all got rid of them.
    Good luck to you.
    If you do it right all it takes is love and patience. Its not like I am buying a huge reef tank it is only 38 gallons.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 24 hour power outage is all it takes.That is what happened to 3 of my friends. In winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Going to buy and set up a SALT WATER AQUARIUM?

Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    1 24 hour power outage is all it takes.That is what happened to 3 of my friends. In winter.
    They make very cheap battery powered air pumps that will keep a reef for over a week with no power. I've done it unfortunately.

Sent from my MB860 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a salt water tank, but I have a 30 gallon freshwater.

I had like 8 fish in there, then all of the sudden there was this dark stuff developing all over it, and the sucker fish wasn't doing his job. Then the water started to get real dark and foggy. Over half the fish died.

So I drained the tank, cleaned everything very well, re-assembled the tank, waited for a few weeks to put the fish back in. The water was crystal clear and balanced correctly when I put the fish back in. But after putting them back in, not one day later, the water started to get foggy again.

The sucker fish died a week or so after putting them back in.

So, there are two sole remaining fish left in the tank, in foggy water.

I had seen some YouTube video some kid put up about how to solve the foggy water problem. I went and bought a bottle of the stuff. Used the correct dosage, which was like 3/4 of the bottle. It worked for like 2 days, then the water started getting foggy again. I had all but given up. But then my wife suggested I try adding the rest of the bottle to see what that does. I did, and within 2 hours the water was crystal clear again, and it has been that way for over a month without me doing anything to the water.

Moral of the story...................I have no damn clue what I am doing. Fish tanks are hard. Good luck.

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12