Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rangers sign Lance Berkman to DH for 1 year/$10 Million

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Texas Rangers have agreed to a one-year, $10 million contract with Lance Berkman, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Sources said the deal also includes a vesting option for a second year if Berkman reaches 550 plate appearances in 2013. Also, a source says there's a $1 million buyout on the option year.

Berkman, who turns 37 in February, gives the Rangers a designated hitter with power and a veteran presence in the clubhouse. He's also a switch-hitter, something that would give the right handed-heavy lineup some versatility.

The question with Berkman is health. He had two surgeries on his right knee last season, limiting him to 32 games with the St. Louis Cardinals. He hit .259 in 81 at-bats with two homers and seven RBIs.

But in 2011, Berkman batted .301 with 31 homers and 94 RBIs with an OPS of .959 in helping the Cardinals win the World Series in seven games over the Rangers. Berkman's two-run single in the 10th inning of Game 6 tied the game before David Freese's homer an inning later won it.

Last edited:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I'm happy for him. He was one of the few Astros I liked and was happy to get him on the Cardinals. He was a huge contributor in 2011 and will always hold a special spot in the hearts of Cardinals' fans because of his postseason play. I would have liked to have had him remain on the Cards this year but the team simply didn't have room for him. He'll be closer to home this way and being a DH will help on his bad knees.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I can't believe he got so much.

I figured he would go back to Houston.

But he'd be stupid to pass up 10 million in what might be his last season.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I can't believe he got so much.

I figured he would go back to Houston.

But he'd be stupid to pass up 10 million in what might be his last season.
Don't think he had a spot since they signed Pena...I'm not surprised with Texas signing him considering he wanted to be near or in Texas and they needed a DH. Makes sense all around but I didn't think he'd end up getting $10mil.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Berkman made out on this deal.

$10mill for a DH position at his age and condition. Screw retirement, I would have taken it too!

Members online