User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

wem
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this and would participate. I think one thing that really helps with this site in making this possible is the chat feature. I wish we could get some sort of a better education on how to use it (for example, the chatrooms show up on one computer, but my laptop, they don't (the bar shows up for them and I can click chatrooms, but there is nothing listed there, where as on my desktop, there are always 4 or 5 rooms listed).

There could be a master folder, say "trade night 1/15 8pm-10pm", and in it, each of the "dealers" could have a thread, say "Bill Menard's Table" and in the thread you can post pics of the cards that are available and asking prices. Be great if they could somehow be sorted, like by sport and then by team or by year or brand or something along those lines. Then, if you like something at someones table, you could hit the chat button for that person and talk with them about a deal. Paypal or trade could be arranged and then executed.

One issue I will have is trading with people I don't know or don't have a solid rep here. I'd be a bit worried about getting scammed, especially if people found out about this "show" and starting coming to this site specifically to try and swindle. I can see it happening very easily. That is about the only negative I can see. With the chat feature, it should go very quickly as far as making deals. Hell, I'll even fire up the paypal on another window so that I can print and pack in real time and mail out the very next morning. This way the buyer gets their item as fast as possible.

CatdaddysCards55
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

I'm game and would participate in whatever capacity I am needed.

I hate this POS HTC calls a smartphone!!!
    I have no collecting focus, right now.

Trade Albums

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rum151man View Post
    Maybe we can get people to post in this thread if they would be interested, & maybe throw out some ideas on how to make it run smooth.
    If someone is taking a count, I would be in. I might be more likely to just price cards out on my spreadsheet and provide a link, but could be flexible. I'm more of a trader than a buyer/seller though, so something encouraging trading would be a nice addition to this site.
    bucket: --> https://picasaweb.google.com/dp73355
    wantlist/tradelist: --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An98Rkz26WLcdFFwSG9WZ1dGZ0NES1J3cUNGZmh0L UE#gid=0

collecting
    : Jed Bradley, Rickie Weeks, Craig Counsell, Jason Heyward

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dp33 View Post
    If someone is taking a count, I would be in. I might be more likely to just price cards out on my spreadsheet and provide a link, but could be flexible. I'm more of a trader than a buyer/seller though, so something encouraging trading would be a nice addition to this site.
    It would work better as a "transaction" night. members could post if cards are FS/FT or FT or FS or whatever. I would definitely be their as a buyer and in a support capacity.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

GMS-SPORTS-CARDS
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be in as well. Mostly seller, with some buying. I would also help in any way possible. Maybe if we could set up a group of sellers that were accepted and safe, then each seller could make a $10 contribution to fcb, like paying for a table at a show. This money could go towards some prizes, to bring people in.

Greg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    It would work better as a "transaction" night. members could post if cards are FS/FT or FT or FS or whatever. I would definitely be their as a buyer and in a support capacity.
    If I had to guess, I would think that the majority of people would be afraid that "transaction night" is just a few people trying to see if anyone wants to buy a Wil Myers BGS 9.5 blue ref auto for $325 ($20 less than ebay!). I would be happier selling a quarter of that in inserts and parallels that I'd like to move.

Just as good would be trading them for similar cards that I want. It does not seem that many see it as worthwhile to dig out a couple of 2012 Bowman Internationals or some $3 Craig Counsell inserts and sell them here. I would be very interested if someone was selling those here, but so far I haven't seen it. Hence, the hope that it leans more towards trading than buying/selling.

Or maybe just a night where everyone posts their wantlists. Similar to a show where you just walk around and tell dealers what you're looking for and he/she pull out their Craig Kimbrel cards or points you to the box where they are. It's a variation of the player collector thread and set builder forum, I suppose, but would allow for both player collectors and set collectors to try to find what they're looking for in one place.
    wantlist/tradelist: --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An98Rkz26WLcdFFwSG9WZ1dGZ0NES1J3cUNGZmh0L UE#gid=0

collecting

davemhyou
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

id be down for this. could, and should be fun if done right

dave

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsieb View Post
    I would be in as well. Mostly seller, with some buying. I would also help in any way possible. Maybe if we could set up a group of sellers that were accepted and safe, then each seller could make a $10 contribution to fcb, like paying for a table at a show. This money could go towards some prizes, to bring people in.

Greg
    Greg - this seems like an interesting idea. The $10 contribution would at least seem to incentivize sellers to come prepared and ready to sell, as opposed to someone who just throws out a free thread with cards/prices no one is that interested in. Prizes almost always help!

collecting

James52411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy to give it a shot as well. If prizes are going to be awarded, I recommend limiting them to people that actually make purchases.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dp33 View Post
    If I had to guess, I would think that the majority of people would be afraid that "transaction night" is just a few people trying to see if anyone wants to buy a Wil Myers BGS 9.5 blue ref auto for $325 ($20 less than ebay!). I would be happier selling a quarter of that in inserts and parallels that I'd like to move.

Just as good would be trading them for similar cards that I want. It does not seem that many see it as worthwhile to dig out a couple of 2012 Bowman Internationals or some $3 Craig Counsell inserts and sell them here. I would be very interested if someone was selling those here, but so far I haven't seen it. Hence, the hope that it leans more towards trading than buying/selling.

Or maybe just a night where everyone posts their wantlists. Similar to a show where you just walk around and tell dealers what you're looking for and he/she pull out their Craig Kimbrel cards or points you to the box where they are. It's a variation of the player collector thread and set builder forum, I suppose, but would allow for both player collectors and set collectors to try to find what they're looking for in one place.

Thing is, it always will depend on the participants. If they are willing to put up fair prices, its going to be fine.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of us tried this during the "Black Friday" weekend. It started out with a decent flurry of activity, but then died off. I think with front-page support from Chris for a few weeks leading up, it would work again. Chris supported the idea back in November, but I basically asked him about it and had it running in under a day, so there was no time to promote.

People need to want to SELL, and not just have have stuff with prices on them. I was selling a Wil Myers for $60 because I could make money and not look like I was trying to maximize close to eBay prices.

I would also suggest that sellers have their stuff sorted by team or player or by set (for everyone who isn't a famous player). That's what works at shows and will allow browsers to virtually "sort" through tables.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

throwbacks2_the_future
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

If this is something we can try I think the sat before the super bowl would be a good date to give it a shot.

COLLECTING JEMILE WEEKS
    https://s42.beta.photobucket.com/

wem
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs marketing and distribution. Perhaps [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] could send an email to the community with a date/time once decided upon. We'd also need to see a forum set up for it.

There was (and I'm going WAYYYYYYY back) a girl who set up a virtual card show many years ago, online, and I vaguely remember "going" to it. I recall it being a good experience, but couldn't tell you how she ran it at this point. I just remember it was a lot of text of things available. I don't even think we even had the ability to scan stuff back then! LOL

throwbacks2_the_future
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if somehow it started as its own forum like card show/ trade day and was broke down by sport baseball, basketball, football, hockey, & other. when a member is posting in baseball thread and they have low end prospects for sale just title the posting LOW END PROSPECTS. If they also have some vintage cards start another post titled VINTAGE CARDS as well. and if they have football post under the football thread HIGH END AUTOS ect ect....This way if people are only looking for specific items they wont have to look through tons of posts to find what they are looking for.

COLLECTING JEMILE WEEKS
    https://s42.beta.photobucket.com/

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

Quote Originally Posted by rum151man View Post
    I think if somehow it started as its own forum like card show/ trade day and was broke down by sport baseball, basketball, football, hockey, & other. when a member is posting in baseball thread and they have low end prospects for sale just title the posting LOW END PROSPECTS. If they also have some vintage cards start another post titled VINTAGE CARDS as well. and if they have football post under the football thread HIGH END AUTOS ect ect....This way if people are only looking for specific items they wont have to look through tons of posts to find what they are looking for.
    Our transactions foeum should work just fine

sent this from the new fcb app. go get yours.
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast