User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: BGS DAMAGES CARD AND CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WARNING: BGS DAMAGES CARD AND CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT

I'm posting this as an informative account of an incident that recently transpired with a submission of a card to BGS. I would like to share what happened so others know this may happen to them and not be surprised if and when it does.

On my last submission to BGS one of the cards was damaged at their site, somehow, and when questioned about this I was asked to send the card in question back to the manager. Someone reviewed the situation and returned the card to me with no resolution, claiming there is no proof the damage occurred there.

Before returning the card to BGS, I sent original scans to the manager and gave him my word that the card was as clean as the original scans showed. I gave him my word that I never dropped the card or mishandled it in any way. I told him I understood the card is not a high-dollar value card, so the only reason I sent it in was because it clearly looked pristine. I meticulously checked the cards before sending them in and the Arrieta gold ref was clean as clean can be. It was sent in a penny sleeve and top loader, with all the other cards in like fashion, very securely. Apparently, no other cards were damaged there.

I am posting this for those of you who may not want to risk someone else damaging a card and not 'fessing up' to it. That is clearly the case here. The manager obviously asked the grader if he/she dropped this card, and they denied it; therefore, no proof on their end any damage occurred there. I gave him my word it was as clean as the scans I showed him, yet nothing was done for me. Therefore, the saying: "The customer is always right" does not apply to BGS. You have been warned.

Here are my two original scans: pay close attention just to the right side edge, bottom edge (center), bottom right surface, and scratch on back bottom surface. The card suffered scuffing and scratches on those areas. These scratches and marks are so glaring, there is no possible chance I missed those before sending it securely to them. Conclusion: they damaged it and took no responsibility for it. Instead of a potential BGS 10, which it would be without those freshly damaged areas, with a sale between $50-75 or maybe more, I am left with a $10 card, which doesn't cover the grading fees and shipping fees. As a big company who should look after their customers who pay them exhorbitant rates to review cards in 30 seconds for $10+ a card, I am highly disappointed in BGS.

Take a look:

Original two scans (in sleeve and not in sleeve)

Card returned:

damaged bottom corner:

damaged side edge:

damaged bottom edge/surface:

scratched back bottom edge/surface:

Card re-returned to me after reviewing the damage, with note attached:

Think whatever you want. I have presented the facts to you here.

Have a nice day.
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this could get heated.
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

cmnkb8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They couldn't have dropped it, since the corners are still 9.5. What could've happened that caused the edge damage?

friarg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know Beckett damaged it? Did you hand it in for grading at a show or is it possible that it was damaged in transit by the postal service?
    Check out my Griffey Jr. bucket
    Photobucket: https://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j434/friarg/

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmnkb8 View Post
    They couldn't have dropped it, since the corners are still 9.5. What could've happened that caused the edge damage?
    They could easily have dropped it and it landed flat on it's surface. I am 100% convinced it was damaged there, by someone, at some stage of the process. The grader may not have damaged it, it may have been damaged by the one who slabs them? I don't know. I don't know their procedure. All I could do was give the manager my word. I have no reason to lie about it. It's the principle here that matters, not the small amount of money involved. Who wants to deal with an unscrupulous company? My warning is worth heeding, to those who care. If they can't make a small-money mistake right, what if they f-k up a big money card? Then what? All they need to do is deny it was damaged there, claiming it arrived in that condition. It's BS, but what can one do?
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FriarG View Post
    How do you know Beckett damaged it? Did you hand it in for grading at a show or is it possible that it was damaged in transit by the postal service?
    As I think I mentioned, all the cards were sent VERY securely in a padded box with all the cards secured in place internally, in penny sleeves and top loaders. No other cards suffered damage. They would have alerted me if the box had suffered damage upon arrival, I'm sure.

fastaccord
     dailywaxcards
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Human process typically have a factor of human error. No way to prove that your packing didn't damage the cards any more that you can prove that one of their employees may have damaged the card.

Sucks that it happened. You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.
    Check out my collection: https://www.sportscardslist.com/u/bradical
    Easy way to get eBay completed auctions: https://sortsof.com
    My Bucket: https://s291.photobucket.com/home/bradical1379/index

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradical View Post
    Human process typically have a factor of human error. No way to prove that your packing didn't damage the cards any more that you can prove that one of their employees may have damaged the card.

Sucks that it happened. You aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.
    I've never once had a "packing" issue where a card was damaged from my negligence. Never.

Putting a card in a clean/new sleeve and top loader and loading them into a padded box that allowed for no 'wiggle-room' for the top-loaders could and would never produce those kinds of scratches and scuffs. Sorry, but it's an impossibility. Had they said the box was damaged upon arrival and one top-loader was clearly affected, I would understand, but that wasn't the case.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going forward, i wouldnt use toploaders. they recommend Card Savers, and that's what most people use.
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BGS would be out of business in a week if they allowed those types of claims...
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

cmnkb8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is damage to both the front and back. It would have to be dropped more than once for that to happen. Also the damage seems rather "neat" or straight. Wouldn't the damage be scattered if it was dropped flat on the floor?

I think it is possible that this card was initially graded (perhaps higher than the current grade), then somehow damaged during the slabbing process, and was subsequently re-graded in its present condition so that the responsible party at BGS can cover up their mistake. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, graders will immediately notify someone if they've damaged a card. That would probably lead to you getting a credit in the value of the card. I doubt there would be a reason for them not to own up to it unless they honestly didn't know it happened. i.e. damaged in the mail.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmnkb8 View Post
    There is damage to both the front and back. It would have to be dropped more than once for that to happen. Also the damage seems rather "neat" or straight. Wouldn't the damage be scattered if it was dropped flat on the floor?

I think it is possible that this card was initially graded (perhaps higher than the current grade), then somehow damaged during the slabbing process, and was subsequently re-graded in its present condition so that the responsible party at BGS can cover up their mistake. Just a thought.
    This is what I was thinking, but I just can't say what transpired for sure. I can only give my word it was as clean as the original scans when I sent it in. That's all. Not a huge financial problem with this, but I will now be very hesitant to trust them with handling anything I send them. Sad to say, because we need a good grading company like BGS in some ways, yet when this crap happens, it's like flies in the ointment, so to speak.

cmnkb8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricewaynebisel View Post
    In my experience, graders will immediately notify someone if they've damaged a card. That would probably lead to you getting a credit in the value of the card. I doubt there would be a reason for them not to own up to it unless they honestly didn't know it happened. i.e. damaged in the mail.
    Might have been someone who had an unfavorable history of damaging cards, who was on a short leash.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't we just do this in regard to a Williams auto card?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast