Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ouch Chances are this isn't real.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
WTF??? I've never even heard of this guy....

1. Why won't he sign his Topps cards?

2. Why the frick does it even matter? Why the frick would anyone pay 5 grand just to complete an IP auto set......especially of a guy hardly anyone has heard of.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Mark Howe wont sign one of his topps cards because he said its for his daughters.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Dang...Doug Flynn sucked....over 3,800 AB's and career OPS of .560...Brendan Ryan is better than that by .070 OPS points!

A_Pharis

Some people who say "no way this is worth $5k" don't understand how nuts set collectors are.
To be the ONLY PERSON to have the ENTIRE SET signed... that's worth $5k to people.

That said, if Ricky wants to make money for charity, now's a good time.

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
I don't know the seller but I know he typically turns up in every search I do for Willie Mcgee and the cards always sell so the dude must have an endless supply of Mcgee cards as well as others

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've bought several cards for my half-complete 1988 Topps autographed set (just checked and THANK GOD Wright is not in the '88 set) from that seller so I really hope he sells authentic stuff. Like it was said in the OP, it's a leap of faith.

And if I was down to one impossible to get card to complete that set I just might pay 5 grand for it. Well, if I had 5 grand laying around. I'm sure Olbermann does.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Fascinating. Liked the video too. Always wanted to do a set like this but don't have the time.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
I've bought several cards for my half-complete 1988 Topps autographed set (just checked and THANK GOD Wright is not in the '88 set) from that seller so I really hope he sells authentic stuff. Like it was said in the OP, it's a leap of faith.

And if I was down to one impossible to get card to complete that set I just might pay 5 grand for it. Well, if I had 5 grand laying around. I'm sure Olbermann does.

I have bought several cards from that seller as well for my white sox sets. Everything I received has been legit. He gets some great cards from time to time.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The best thing you can do with a junk era card is put ink to it.

I feel that way about any base card. But to go after a set is insane. Especially with this type of stuff occurring. In fact, any set is going to cost you some money. I just don't have the patience. Or apparently the cash...

I was going after a signed copy of every Jim Deshaies card ever...as I've purchased most of his cards and what do you know, he goes and gets a job with the damn cubs. Now I've got about 150 unsigned Deshaies cards. I'll get him eventually...

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I thought the holy grail of the 87 set was Dick Howser (or some manager) because he died like 2 weeks after the set went to market.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I feel that way about any base card. But to go after a set is insane. Especially with this type of stuff occurring. In fact, any set is going to cost you some money. I just don't have the patience. Or apparently the cash...

I was going after a signed copy of every Jim Deshaies card ever...as I've purchased most of his cards and what do you know, he goes and gets a job with the damn cubs. Now I've got about 150 unsigned Deshaies cards. I'll get him eventually...

It's an extremely long-term project, not only because it takes forever to find many of the cards, but because it's going to cost thousands and you need to spread it out. I started my set 8 or 9 years ago and I'm slightly over halfway done now. I figure it'll be at least another 10 years until I finish (if I ever do). Of course it's not my main collecting pursuit or it'd be a lot closer to finished by now. Just something fun to work on on the side.

I started it because I began collecting in 1988 and looking at those old '88 Topps cards always brings back great memories of my youth, opening packs from the corner store hoping for Jose Canseco cards and chewing that awful gum. A complete set of '88 Topps is like $5, there's no collecting challenge there. So I had the idea of getting every card in the set signed. I started with a single Terry Steinbach in my collection that I had gotten signed through the mail back in 1989, and am now up over 400. I'd like to think the 9-year-old me would faint if he was told he'd eventually have 400 autographed cards from that set, including guys like McGwire, Schmidt, Yount, Molitor, Gwynn, Dawson, and Mattingly.

Members online

Latest posts