Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow - how did this get to me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
One negative feedback every 3 months isn't going to ruin me. But I haven't gotten a negative feedback for it yet in almost 2 years b/c I actually refund the guy the postage due. It's not worth arguing over $1 once every 3 months.

I send out 30-40 a week. You have to times that $30 by 4.

I am an idiot. I read it as "month".

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
how much u pay for shipping?

Shipping was FREE but I expect a rare card to be packaged properly. The card was also stuck to tape that was placed at the top of the toploader.

I see what you're most likely going to do here. You're probably going to tell me not to b*tch because shipping was FREE.

I paid $12.00 total for the card, not a lot but I expect it arrive safely without creases since it is a RARE card that is not easily found.

What's the difference between a $9.50 card with $2.50 shipping and a $12.00 card with free shipping? Some scum bag sellers feel that they can send your card in a PWE when offering free shipping because it's FREE and no one should complain about.

I don't even care if the card is sent in a recycled bubble mailer but a PWE? Really? Common sense.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Yet if you received all ten of those cards in separate boxes and each one cost $3 to ship you would still be out that $20. You agreed to the $3 shipping and it got to you in good condition what else did you expect the seller to do throw in some free cards to jack up the weight. What if shipping was a dollar because that's what he thought it would cost but then it ended up costing $2 should he file a claim to get that extra dollar?

Pardon my being rude, but I don't quite understand your point.

In regards to your "free cards" statement, nowhere did I state that I expected anything other than what I pay for. This also means that if I pay for a $3 service, I expect a $3 service. If I get a $1 service, or a $.49 service, when I pay for the $3 service, that is frustrating.

Wainwright

May 15, 2012
Pardon my being rude, but I don't quite understand your point.

In regards to your "free cards" statement, nowhere did I state that I expected anything other than what I pay for. This also means that if I pay for a $3 service, I expect a $3 service. If I get a $1 service, or a $.49 service, when I pay for the $3 service, that is frustrating.

Pbut if you get a $5 service when you were charged a $3 do you send the extra?

what I am saying is you knew the shipping charge was $3 right? He sent it protected right? What else was he supposed to do to get your $3 worth?

A_Pharis

My $.02 and then Ill zip it, as this is my theory......

I ship all single cards that I sell on eBay for "free", meaning I dont directly charge my buyers for shipping costs.
What I do is indirectly charge my buyers by adding in what I consider my shipping costs into my starting price, typically $2, that about covers actual shipping costs and materials.

So, if in the past I would typically start "X" card off at $.99 + $2.00 for shipping and let it ride for 7 days, I will now start "X" card off at $2.99 and offer FREE shipping, now my costs are built into the ending price. See when eBay made the switch that FVF are taken out of Auctions End Price AND Shipping, it only made sense to build it right into the starting bid.

Now do I risk the chance of losing customers because their mindset is "Im not going to pay Seller XYZ $2.99 for "X" card when I can go to Seller ABC and get it for $.99 + $2-3 shipping", so be it, nothing I can do.
But if they do decide to buy from me at that $2.99 price and buy multiple cards at that starting bid, I can ship them all in one package and not have to discount my shipping because it is already "Free", whereas if I did charge for shipping, I would have to offer up a combined discount.

So my theory is and it has worked a few times:
sell 5 items at $2.99, you get $14.95
sell 5 items at $.99 and add in $2 for combined shipping, you get $6.95
There I have made an extra $8 that I might not have gotten starting at $.99, or maybe I am losing out on people bidding higher than $2.99, I will never know. But what I do know is that I am happy with that extra $8 and know that as a power seller selling with free shipping, I too am benefiting from eBay discounting me and knowing that buyers cant ding me for "high shipping prices" when I ship for free.

Its a "give and take" and a "take and give" world on eBay.

^--- Ace post.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Pbut if you get a $5 service when you were charged a $3 do you send the extra?

what I am saying is you knew the shipping charge was $3 right? He sent it protected right? What else was he supposed to do to get your $3 worth?

He's supposed to charge me the correct costs.

If it's $.20 off, big whoop. Even $.50 isn't bad. I just don't like overpaying by $2.50.

jdowg84

Oct 13, 2012
First of all, it slips through the cracks. I've had a couple sent to me like that too.

Second of all, you pay for shipping and handling. You are charged for the packaging materials to include toploaders and possibly even for the time it takes to package. It still probably doesn't add up to three dollars, but I don't think a dollar or so is worth contesting. If you bought it off a site like ebay, then I would just ding him in the review, by saying packaging was not up to par.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Does anyone think anyone really pockets anything when they charge $3 shipping and it costs $1? An item is going to go for its current going rate. A card that sells for $20 with free shipping is going to go $17 if a seller charges $3 shipping. A seller charging shipping assuming that is covering any cost is naive.

bigbov

Jun 26, 2012
Minoa, NY
Shipping was FREE but I expect a rare card to be packaged properly. The card was also stuck to tape that was placed at the top of the toploader.

I see what you're most likely going to do here. You're probably going to tell me not to b*tch because shipping was FREE.

I paid $12.00 total for the card, not a lot but I expect it arrive safely without creases since it is a RARE card that is not easily found.

What's the difference between a $9.50 card with $2.50 shipping and a $12.00 card with free shipping? Some scum bag sellers feel that they can send your card in a PWE when offering free shipping because it's FREE and no one should complain about.

I don't even care if the card is sent in a recycled bubble mailer but a PWE? Really? Common sense.

Wasn't going to tell u anything... was actually just curious. I don't comment too often because I'm not the argue on internet type and it seems comments are taken as slams. I do enjoy most of the conversations here... I was really just curious because you didn't mention it. I would be upset too and would have had the same expectations as you. If I buy a base card for $2 or less w/ free shipping... then I expect PWE.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Yep.

eBay has been clear from the getgo of their new buyer protection that sellers should not be able to profit or recoup costs off s/h.

Too bad those ebay bastards make a profit off of shipping costs.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
You agreed to $3 shipping- The card got to you in good condition. Who cares how it got there?

You people need another hobby if you are complaining about a shipping cost that you AGREED to pay when you bid on the auction or made an offer on a BIN/BO.

^This

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
I have to disagree with this.
It's hard to say you "agree to $3 shipping" when you don't know what you're really agreeing to.
In fact, you are AGREEING to $3 worth of shipping and handling as per the guidelines of eBay's TOS (which does not include your time to ship/gas to the PO/etc). So, really, the inverse of your claim is that the seller is AGREEING to provide $3 worth of shipping. In this case, they did not.

So let's say there is a $.99 cent card that has only one copy up at the time you are looking to buy. The seller has $4.00 S&H on it and lives 3 states away.
When you get the card, it's in GREAT condition.. but it came in a PWE with a single stamp. Inside, only a penny sleeve, top loader and some tape. So, <$1 worth of shipping costs made you pay $5 for something that should have run you $2 - at most. That seller has now pocketed that extra little bit for the sake of making extra money on a $1 card.

That may not be a big deal to you, but some people that only buy cheap cards may have a valid argument over something that seems so trivial.

Ugh. I just get so tired of seeing the "You agreed to it when you bid" reasoning when it's exactly the same reason the seller needs to hold up to their end of that S&H "agreement".

Its not your business how the shipper decides to get the card to you. You pay a price, you decide its worth it. Then the card arrives and you somehow think your entitled to anything? Baffling.

A_Pharis

Its not your business how the shipper decides to get the card to you. You pay a price, you decide its worth it. Then the card arrives and you somehow think your entitled to anything? Baffling.

I am entitled. To the $3 worth of shipping I was charged for. The fact that you think sellers are ENTITLED to charge more for shipping than eBay's TOS allocates is baffling. Besides - to say it's "not my business" how it gets shipped to me is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I paid for it - of course it's my business.

I am inclined to think you are attempting to troll. Maybe you are a seller? Who knows. You're late to this party, and you suffer from lack of rational reasoning, so I'm leaning toward the prior.

Last edited:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Yes it must be baffling to someone who has to pinch pennies out of every transaction. So lets explain it simply, you agree to sell on ebay and agree to their TOS. Their TOS says you cant over change on shipping. You feel entitled to extra cash so you break the TOS. Still baffled?

Are you selling on ebay or opening a shipping business? Choose one cause you cant have both.

Members online

Latest posts