Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow - how did this get to me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I agree build your shipping in and I do that with higher end items all the time but with cheaper stuff it is hard to do.

To break it down all the way and be extreme about it you should figure in everything it takes to ship it

Padded mailer
Too loader
Soft sleeve
Sheet of paper to print shipping label
Ink to print it
Clear tape to stick it on there
Internet service used to do all that
Electricity to run comp and printer
Team bag or whatever you use
Gas used to get to the post office

All those could be broke down to a per item sold basis I suppose. I just charge 2.00 shipping on single cards.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This degenerated into another Ebay shipping debate rather quickly. I'm just glad Jeff got his card and it wasn't damaged.

I really didn't have a huge issue with the $3.

FWIW, I sent a message to the seller saying that there's no way this card should have gotten to me paying $.66, and indicated that he would likely be facing a lot of issues on eBay charging that much for shipping. I didn't imply a threat or anything - more of a warning tone.

A_Pharis

[MENTION=8808]sawmillthug[/MENTION]
Except you aren't allowed to charge for some of the stuff like that

TOS said:
What you can charge
Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.

Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any.

Delivery Confirmation and extra services: If you choose to use these options, you must add them to your shipping and handling costs, and you can only charge what they actually cost. Examples of services include:

• Certificate of Mailing

• Certified Mail

• Collect on Delivery

• Delivery Confirmation - free with Priority Mail and discounted with some other services when you print shipping labels on eBay

• Registered Mail

• Restricted Delivery

• Return Receipt

• Signature Confirmation

• Special Handling

Tax and government imposed fees: Only applicable federal, state, country, city, Value Added Tax (VAT), or equivalent taxes may be charged.
Tip: If your shipping and handling costs are higher than average, consider explaining in your listing what the shipping and handling costs include.
Tip: Using tracking information, Delivery Confirmation, or Signature Confirmation protects you if a buyer claims that they didn't receive an item and is one of the qualifications for getting an automatic 5-star rating for shipping time.
Categories with maximum shipping costs
eBay sets maximum shipping costs in some categories. You can only charge more than the maximum shipping cost if you use calculated shipping and enter an item's actual size and weight with the packing materials.
When using calculated shipping, make sure the calculated cost isn't higher than the actual shipping cost. If so, it's considered excessive shipping, which isn't allowed on eBay.
Free shipping
You can offer free shipping to select or all destinations.
For a destination with free shipping, no other fees related to shipping, handling, or packaging can be charged.
You're not allowed to change the shipping method to a method that is slower than the slowest one indicated in the listing.
What you're not allowed to charge
Insurance: You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, although you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.
Tip: You should incorporate any insurance fees into an item's price or handling cost.
Tariffs, duties, and customs fees: For cross-border transactions, you're not allowed to collect tariffs, duties, or customs fees. (Buyers may be responsible for paying these fees as required by country laws.)
Tip: Remember not to inappropriately classify an item as a gift as a way to avoid certain duties, tariffs, or customs fees. US law prohibits submitting false or misleading customs information.
Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added.

A_Pharis

Also - the "handling" in Shipping & Handling is not you "handling" the packaging - it's charges incurred by the carrier.

I don't know why people are defending trying to trim a $1 at a time off of buyers or why it's like they think they HAVE to.

eBay rewards free shipping. Figure your shipping cost and add it to the starting price. SOLVED!
But - as long as I see a price (and agree to a price) associated DIRECTLY to Shipping & Handling... it will reflect on DSRs and feedback if the actual S&H (postage/materials) is under a third of what was charged.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Also - the "handling" in Shipping & Handling is not you "handling" the packaging - it's charges incurred by the carrier.

I don't know why people are defending trying to trim a $1 at a time off of buyers or why it's like they think they HAVE to.

eBay rewards free shipping. Figure your shipping cost and add it to the starting price. SOLVED!
But - as long as I see a price (and agree to a price) associated DIRECTLY to Shipping & Handling... it will reflect on DSRs and feedback if the actual S&H (postage/materials) is under a third of what was charged.

This is not true. The handling portion of shipping & handling refers to the labor involved in shipping something. Also the TOS are fairly vague. I know this isn't the case the majority of the time, but who is to say a seller doesn't buy $1 bubble mailers at Walmart. I charge free shipping and agree with the majority of what you have said in this thread, but it isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

As you mentioned free shipping is the way to go for sure.

Members online