User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOF debate: Paul Konerko

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when Konerko was a major prospect in the mid-90s in the Dodgers system?
    His '94 Topps Traded draft pick rookie was super hot and was worth more then, than it is now.
    Konerko has a Hall of Fame caliber career, approaching 500 homers, and his cards are worth less than when he was a minor leaguer and rookie.

Senior Member uniquebaseballcards's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Remember when Konerko was a major prospect in the mid-90s in the Dodgers system?
    His '94 Topps Traded draft pick rookie was super hot and was worth more then, than it is now.
    Konerko has a Hall of Fame caliber career, approaching 500 homers, and his cards are worth less than when he was a minor leaguer and rookie.
    Yes... and this is true for almost every player, no?

"Topps does not, in any manner, make any representations as to whether its cards will attain any future value."

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i vote "No"
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquebaseballcards View Post
    Yes... and this is true for almost every player, no?
    Maybe for many of today's prospects.
    But that's not comparable to Konerko.
    Nearly every star who had a rookie card in the '80s or '90s like Konerko, was cheaper in their rookie year, even as a hyped rookie, than they were when they were at the height of their career.
    Clemens, Puckett, Piazza, Canseco, Helton... nearly everyone who turned into a star.

My point was, that Konerko turned into a better player than even most prospectors thought he'd be, but his rookie card is cheaper now, at the pinnacle of his career, in the midst of Hall of Fame discussions, than his cards were when he was a hyped rookie.

Nowadays, that's common because prospectors are insane.
    But with '80s and '90s cards, that's rare.
    Last edited by Austin; 02-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HOF debate: Paul Konerko

First ballot!

.....into the "hall of very good"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
    Chris Rose and Millar were talking about Pauly yesterday and both seem to think he's a lock for Cooperstown.

Was wondering what the consensus was here. At first I thought no way, but then looking at the numbers, if he has 3 solid years left in the tank, he could have 500 HR and 2,500 hits. Throw in 6 AS games and a WS ring, it's possible no?

Paul Konerko Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Right now, he's had a nice career. If it were to end after this season, he's not a HOFer though.

There is a lot of discussion that this might be his last season. If he decides to stick around for a few more years and reaches the 500 HR plateau (and he's one of the clean guys) and stays healthy, then it becomes a very interesting discussion.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No
    Sig Starts Here

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will put my vote in for 'no', but if he does reach those milestones he will be in the discussions.....but still will be on the outside looking in.

I do like how he has a great AB/K ratio for a power hitter.
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was "no" before starting this thread. After [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION] 's post, I'm thinking about it. Richard has got a point. We have the shoe-ins like Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Griffey, etc over the next 3-4 years...but after that we might be looking at a depleted company full of PED users....Konerko could very well slip in the HOF in 10 years...

On the notion that he is retiring after this year, I heard those rumors too. No way he retires if he puts up 30 HR this year. That would put him less than 50 away from 500 and that is obtainable within 2 years. He's a true professional hitter.

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
    I was "no" before starting this thread. After @Pine Tar 's post, I'm thinking about it. Richard has got a point. We have the shoe-ins like Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Griffey, etc over the next 3-4 years...but after that we might be looking at a depleted company full of PED users....Konerko could very well slip in the HOF in 10 years...

On the notion that he is retiring after this year, I heard those rumors too. No way he retires if he puts up 30 HR this year. That would put him less than 50 away from 500 and that is obtainable within 2 years. He's a true professional hitter.
    That was my thought.And the reason I said what I said.
    -Richard-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12