Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF debate: Paul Konerko

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Chris Rose and Millar were talking about Pauly yesterday and both seem to think he's a lock for Cooperstown.

Was wondering what the consensus was here. At first I thought no way, but then looking at the numbers, if he has 3 solid years left in the tank, he could have 500 HR and 2,500 hits. Throw in 6 AS games and a WS ring, it's possible no?

Paul Konerko Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There's still a ways to go. While he's on target for milestones, anything could happen. The big career numbers, especially homers, aren't worth what they used to be to voters, and he lacks the other intangibles that HOFers seem to have, at least in my perception. Rarely if ever in serious MVP consideration, never considered the best hitter in his league/game, no huge monster seasons (career high 41 homers but hit just .277 that year), and as a 1B with some amount of DHing, he would rarely make highlight reel type plays in the field that could at least raise awareness of him. Except that type he got hit in the nose with a pitch. When he's done, it will be interesting to see how he stacks up to people already in, but until then it's a tough call.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Chris Rose and Millar were talking about Pauly yesterday and both seem to think he's a lock for Cooperstown.

Was wondering what the consensus was here. At first I thought no way, but then looking at the numbers, if he has 3 solid years left in the tank, he could have 500 HR and 2,500 hits. Throw in 6 AS games and a WS ring, it's possible no?

Paul Konerko Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

That's a big IF. Age 37 and he needs 78 more HR for 500.

Without something magical happening for him in the next few years, he's below Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, and probably around Harold Baines; three guys who aren't nearing enough votes to get in.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
That's a big IF. Age 37 and he needs 78 more HR for 500.

Without something magical happening for him in the next few years, he's below Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, and probably around Harold Baines; three guys who aren't nearing enough votes to get in.

I would not put him near Harold Baines yet. Baines has had 22 Seasons in the bigs to rack up his numbers compared to Konerko who will be going on his 16th full season.
I personally would love to see Konerko in the HOF but I think he will be in the Hall of Very Good. Once he retires he will have his number retired with the white sox, a statue built and his face on the outfield wall because he is one of the best hitters in white sox history.

Also his contract is up at the end of this season and he has said in the past he is not sure what he wants to do. I bet he will play for 2 more years.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For his era, he's not a top-5 first baseman...and not all of the top-5 would get in.

Konerko is a Chicago legend, a fan favorite...but not a legitimate HOFer I wouldn't think. Even with 500/2500.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I'm a fan but think he would have to do a LOT in the next few years to be seriously considered.

From baseball-reference:

Gray Ink 58 Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor 80 Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards 35 Average HOFer ≈ 50

Not very strong

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'm a fan but think he would have to do a LOT in the next few years to be seriously considered.

From baseball-reference:
Gray Ink 58 Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor 80 Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards 35 Average HOFer ≈ 50

Not very strong

But he's probably got a couple/few years left; consider at age 36:
Similar Batters through 36

Compare Stats to Similars

1. Fred McGriff (939)
  2. Orlando Cepeda (910) *
  3. Carlos Lee (878)
  4. David Ortiz (869)
  5. Reggie Jackson (864) *
  6. Carlos Delgado (863)
  7. Dale Murphy (860)
  8. Harold Baines (857)
  9. Jim Rice (854) *
  10. Tony Perez (853) *
Its interesting that he doesn't have any black ink though.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
It just means he hasn't led his league in an offensive category. Without looking, gray ink I believe is a top 5 finish in a category.

He's never led the league in any category.

baseball-reference would bold any stat that leads the league, hence that stat is "black ink."

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I just never heard of that term.

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
I think that he has a pretty good chance to get in. Not a Sox fan here but have always enjoyed watching Konerko play and he has seemed to be pretty solid for most of his career. Will be interesting to see when the time comes if he will have enough support to make it in!:)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Depending on the class he is up with, he may make the hall of fame. But for me, and I like Paul even being a Cubs fan.He does not get in, in my eyes.

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
Depending on the class he is up with, he may make the hall of fame. But for me, and I like Paul even being a Cubs fan.He does not get in, in my eyes.
Same here as well! I am also a Cubs fan and I agree that it does depend on what class he is up against. Will be interesting!:)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Remember when Konerko was a major prospect in the mid-90s in the Dodgers system?
His '94 Topps Traded draft pick rookie was super hot and was worth more then, than it is now.
Konerko has a Hall of Fame caliber career, approaching 500 homers, and his cards are worth less than when he was a minor leaguer and rookie.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Remember when Konerko was a major prospect in the mid-90s in the Dodgers system?
His '94 Topps Traded draft pick rookie was super hot and was worth more then, than it is now.
Konerko has a Hall of Fame caliber career, approaching 500 homers, and his cards are worth less than when he was a minor leaguer and rookie.

Yes... and this is true for almost every player, no?

1998 Score Rookies and Traded RTPP143 Paul Konerko Rookie.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes... and this is true for almost every player, no?
Maybe for many of today's prospects.
But that's not comparable to Konerko.
Nearly every star who had a rookie card in the '80s or '90s like Konerko, was cheaper in their rookie year, even as a hyped rookie, than they were when they were at the height of their career.
Clemens, Puckett, Piazza, Canseco, Helton... nearly everyone who turned into a star.

My point was, that Konerko turned into a better player than even most prospectors thought he'd be, but his rookie card is cheaper now, at the pinnacle of his career, in the midst of Hall of Fame discussions, than his cards were when he was a hyped rookie.

Nowadays, that's common because prospectors are insane.
But with '80s and '90s cards, that's rare.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts