Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you do this trade if you were the Tigers or Marlins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
They seem to have a big trade history - Miggy/Maybin and the Sanchez, Infante/Turner trade...

How about this one:

Tigers get:

Giancarlo Stanton
Mike Dunn

Marlins get:

Rick Porcello
Nick Castellanos
Avisail Garcia
Casey Crosby
Daniel Fields

Too much for Stanton? Too little? Good trade for both sides?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My guess is that fellow FCB'ers will say not enough for Stanton. But they'd be devaluing Porcello in that process most likely.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I'd do that in a heartbeat if I were the Tigers. If you can throw Fielder/Cabrera/Stanton together in a lineup I think it's something you have to do.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If I'm the Marlins and I had this offer on the table, it would be pretty enticing knowing that my lone star player does not want to play in Miami anymore.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
This is pretty lopsided in favor of Detroit. Stanton is going to be a 40 homerun guy for the next 7-10 years as long as he stays healthy. Oh and he plays great defense too. I don't care about "potential"...if you have a chance to get a superstar for a handful of prospects, albeit quality prospects, you take it every time.

-Fields has been a big letdown so far. I know Detroit is high on him, but there is no indication that he will even crack the Majors based on what little he has produced since being drafted.
-Garcia could be a solid average everyday player, but the Tigers have no room for him in the everyday lineup.
-Crosby still could be good although so far the story of his career has been injury and inconsistency.
-Porcello has had consistency problems as well, but supposedly he has revamped his curveball and looks good this spring. And remember he's still only 24 for the entire 2013 season.
-Castellanos is going to be very good. There is some speculation that he has a shot to crack the Majors out of ST to fill in the final outfield spot. I doubt that myself, but his time is definitely coming.

Essentially the trade would be Castellanos and Porcello plus three semi-decent throw-in prospects for Stanton. I can't imagine that trade ever happening.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This is pretty lopsided in favor of Detroit. Stanton is going to be a 40 homerun guy for the next 7-10 years as long as he stays healthy. Oh and he plays great defense too. I don't care about "potential"...if you have a chance to get a superstar for a handful of prospects, albeit quality prospects, you take it every time.

-Fields has been a big letdown so far. I know Detroit is high on him, but there is no indication that he will even crack the Majors based on what little he has produced since being drafted.
-Garcia could be a solid average everyday player, but the Tigers have no room for him in the everyday lineup.
-Crosby still could be good although so far the story of his career has been injury and inconsistency.
-Porcello has had consistency problems as well, but supposedly he has revamped his curveball and looks good this spring. And remember he's still only 24 for the entire 2013 season.
-Castellanos is going to be very good. There is some speculation that he has a shot to crack the Majors out of ST to fill in the final outfield spot. I doubt that myself, but his time is definitely coming.

Essentially the trade would be Castellanos and Porcello plus three semi-decent throw-in prospects for Stanton. I can't imagine that trade ever happening.

Why not? Can you name the other three players the Marlins got besides Maybin and Andrew Miller? And this was for one of the best hitters in the game (he wasn't quite #1 yet), a status Stanton is not even close to capturing and Dontrelle Willis who was still a respectable pitcher at the time.

Point being, the trade is not unreasonable at all - I tend to agree with you that it would be in the Tigers favor but it isn't as lopsided as you say. I suppose the Tigers could sweeten the deal by adding another top prospect or swapping Fields for someone like Smyly but in reality, these trades are centered around 2-3 top prospects and a couple throw-ins.

BTW, I can only think of one of the other 3 - Mike Rabelo (was he ever a top 10 on the Tigers list?)

EDIT to add: Looks like there were 6 total and the others were Burke Badenhop, Dallas Trahern and Eulogio de la Cruz. I'd be interested to know how many of those appeared on the Tigers' Top 10 prospect list at the time of the trade.

Last edited:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
[MENTION=2710]markakis8[/MENTION] - True, I guess I was trying to evaluate the trade based on comparing one side of the deal to the other without taking into account the fact that the Marlins seem to be much happier to trade away top talent for nothing than any other team in baseball. The only problem is that usually it's a salary dump for the Marlins, and in this case, Stanton is still locked up for pennies on the dollar for the next few years. I'd think this is one of the lopsided trades of all time because Stanton is already a superstar and hasn't even reached his prime yet, but as usual...it's entirely dependent on how the prospects pan out.

Members online

Latest posts