User Tag List

Page 66 of 82 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Thread: Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I have some goodies I have been saving to put into the box for sure. do we know the order of who gets it first and so on?
    INCOMING:
    Manny Benuelos 2011 Leaf Valiant blue/99 Bgs 9.5/10
    Jerry Hairston Jr 99 bowman auto
    Gil Mcdougald 2001 topps team legends auto

Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Menard View Post
    I'm quoting craiger's post, but this is for everyone...

I have weeded the box. It now stands as follows:
    1. About 200-250 game used and autos, many of former stars such as Bonds, Sosa, Big Unit, Maddux, Glavine, Chipper, Thome, Thomas, Gwynn, Clemens, Texeira (beatiful UD Reflections Auto/Jersey #'d /15), etc... I can't remember every name I saw, but most are former stars/semistars and are players that are often collected. Not really a bunch of commons... I'd take them all if I actually collected all these players/teams, but I don't.
    2. Approximately 800 inserts (both serial and non-serial #'d) from the late 90's - current day.
    3. A 500 ct box of refractors, vintage (pre-1985 and most from 75-79 - it's all beat to hell though), and some football/basketball randomness.
    4. Some oddball goodies - oversized cards, programs, poker chips, other oddities, the ginters Lance added and a few 52 Bowman cards.

Couple other things to mention:

1. It is pretty much currently depleted of Redsox stuff, but I think I was the only person so far on the list of participants that collects them, so no biggie there.
    2. All base cards have been removed, except for some rookies.
    3. There isn't much in terms of Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, etc., though there are a bunch of refractors from these products, there are slim pickings on autographs, etc. from products such as this.
    4. I pulled out any cards I started the original box off with that were still in there after two rounds.

I have not tried to pack this yet, as there is more coming from several people. I'm not going to say who or what, but I anticpate there will be some great items added as I know the reps of those sending and they are quite generous. However, my guess is that I can get this back into a medium flat rate. Also, you NEVER know what others are going to add/remove, so this all could change quickly. Hell, the first person who gets the box could completely change the content.

But this all part of what makes it so fun. Let's also say that base, unless of rookies, should not be put into the box going forward. Let's assume we are all collectors who are beyond needing them for our collections, unless they are harder to come by products (Museum Collection, Exquisite, Triple Threads, Topps Sterling, etc.). I understand they add variety to the content, and some poeple might want to start a player collection if there were a good chunk of a particular player in the box, but they take up too much room. If on the other hand, the box has a lot of room, feel free to fill it with whatever you want, but if the next person to receive the box needs room to upgrade the contents, they should feel free to pull base cards out to make the room.
    Feel free to put in as many Andre Dawson and Drew Brees base cards as you desire and I will be sure to take them all out when the box makes it my way
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

wem
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Quote Originally Posted by james5348 View Post
    well I have some goodies I have been saving to put into the box for sure. do we know the order of who gets it first and so on?
    Few more days and I will work on it.

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthewondercat77 View Post
    An outsider / lurker on this thread offering his $0.02 on what to do with it:

After it goes to the remaining folks that might find stuff, someone volunteers to photo / list the better items as a FS thread auction on the FCB baseball transaction boards. Unsold items from that thread, combined with all the low-end stuff, gets sold as a box lot on FCB or eBay if necessary.

100% of the profits go to the pediatric cancer charity that @Topnotchsy was raising funds for this last weekend.

That way, all those that contributed to the box have a chance to take from it... But everything unclaimed goes to other collectors that would enjoy it, raising money for a good cause.
    [MENTION=7246]bobthewondercat77[/MENTION] I can't tell you how much this would mean. This thread includes some of the most generous people on the boards and while it would be a logistical challenge if people are willing to consider it, I would definitely look to find a way to express my thanks (possibly in the form of a raffle of a nice card or the like). I don't know who to direct this at but it would be incredible if people considered this.

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill what does the line-up look like for round three and what kind of timing do you think we're looking at?

No rush, just curious.

Mac
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%

***Always hunting Albert Belle 1998 Tek Diffractors and 1999 Tek Golds***

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

throwbacks2_the_future
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    Bill what does the line-up look like for round three and what kind of timing do you think we're looking at?

No rush, just curious.

Mac
    see post #978

COLLECTING JEMILE WEEKS
    https://s42.beta.photobucket.com/

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rum151man View Post
    see post #978
    Roger that

zc3009
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    [MENTION=7246]bobthewondercat77[/MENTION] I can't tell you how much this would mean. This thread includes some of the most generous people on the boards and while it would be a logistical challenge if people are willing to consider it, I would definitely look to find a way to express my thanks (possibly in the form of a raffle of a nice card or the like). I don't know who to direct this at but it would be incredible if people considered this.
    I agree this is a great idea! One suggestion I have is possibly rotate where the money would be donated? Pediatric cancer is a great cause, but I also think there are other charities that are deserving as well

wem
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea of donating any funds from sales is a great idea, BUT knowing what has been pulled from the box, I think we might be a bit ahead of ourselves. The bulk of the weeded stuff is base cards or low end inserts that people didn't want after two rounds of shipping. My point is that the pulled cards have very little value. They are not items that are worth trying to sell. The better stuff (game used/autos/low #'d stuff) is staying in the box as there may be peeps that participate in future rounds that could use them in their collections.

If there were some coectors on the boards that would find some of the stuff useful, well, I'm all for giving it away. On the other hand, I could just continue to compile the base cards that get put in to make player lots and then donate the funds from the sales (I've had some success selling on eBay with these type of lots, but it's literally pennies per card). Of course, I also just discouraged people from putting base cards in the box going forward as we are trying to elevate the level of cards in the box.

Hopefully it just keeps getting better and if we get to the point where we are weeding out game used and autos to upgrade for better ones, well, then we have something to talk about in terms of charity.

I will also say this, if we want to become some sort of philanthropic group, there is no reason why we can't do that. We can just start a card donation thread, game used or better, see what people donate and then sell the lot off on eBay and donate the profits. In fact, I think it is a good idea that can be started up as a separate thread. Maybe we can collect game used and autos or low #d cards and pool them over the course of a month and then list, then repeat the process, and the. Make donations to various charities over the course of the year. I think this far more likely to be a success than the rejected box of goodies items, at least at this time.
    Last edited by Bill Menard; 10-23-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea of donating any funds from sales is a great idea, BUT knowing what has been pulled from the box, I think we might be a bit ahead of ourselves. The bulk of the weeded stuff is base cards or low end inserts that people didn't want after two rounds of shipping. My point is that the pulled cards have very little value. They are not items that are worth trying to sell. The better stuff (game used/autos/low #'d stuff) is staying in the box as there may be peeps that participate in future rounds that could use them in their collections.

If there were some coectors on the boards that would find some of the stuff useful, well, I'm all for giving it away. On the other hand, I could just continue to compile the base cards that get put in to make player lots and then donate the funds from the sales (I've had some success selling on eBay with these type of lots, but it's literally pennies per card). Of course, I also just discouraged people from putting base cards in the box going forward as we are trying to elevate the level of cards in the box.

Hopefully it just keeps getting better and if we get to the point where we are weeding out game used and autos to upgrade for better ones, well, then we have something to talk about in terms of charity.

I will also say this, if we want to become some sort of philanthropic group, there is no reason why we can't do that. We can just start a card donation thread, game used or better, see what people donate and then sell the lot off on eBay and donate the profits. In fact, I think it is a good idea that can be started up as a separate thread. Maybe we can collect game used and autos or low #d cards and pool them over the course of a month and then list, then repeat the process, and the. Make donations to various charities over the course of the year. I think this far more likely to be a success than the rejected box of goodies items, at least at this time.
    Sounds like a well thought out idea, in fact, I'm on board with the idea! I happen to know a few charities that I hold near and dear to my heart I wouldn't mind donating to.

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

wem
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appears we lost a lot of posts to this thread including the updated list of shipping order for the 3rd round and turn around times. Fortunately Andrew messages me to warn me and suggested I save the post. I did, but is on my work computer. Will repost tomorrow of the posts can't be retrieved!

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appears we lost a lot of posts to this thread including the updated list of shipping order for the 3rd round and turn around times. Fortunately Andrew messages me to warn me and suggested I save the post. I did, but is on my work computer. Will repost tomorrow of the posts can't be retrieved!
    Jesus

#thankstopps

CatdaddysCards55
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1383615090.358431.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	25151

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.
    I have no collecting focus, right now.

Trade Albums

Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatdaddysCards View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1383615090.358431.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	25151

I missed this original post! If you are in this round please feel free to post on here or send me a PM of what your general collecting interest is and I will see what I can add for you.
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

CatdaddysCards55
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk8 View Post
    I missed this original post! If you are in this round please feel free to post on here or send me a PM of what your general collecting interest is and I will see what I can add for you.
    If this is to me, I collect Royals auto/GU/patches/refractors/#'d. Mainly the top players past, present and future

I have no collecting focus, right now.

Trade Albums