Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well, I was IN on the next round until it became clear it was (at least to me) that it was going to be a memo and auto box... which I'm not against, but just don't think I can participate because I don't have tons of that stuff laying around to add and I'd be burning $20 to just look through mountains of cards for fun, etc. I'll only participate if I think I can add something to the box.

I have all along thought the box should be inserts and above only... I was kind of questioning why there were stacks of beat up base cards in there to begin with because that's not really anything people want unless it's their team, which BTW I took most Indians cards to help thin it out.

It's also funny because as I would read updates of people getting the box, you felt like no one was stepping up and taking nice things but just continually loading the box up in a better way BUT to find out from you, people were in fact not making it better...

Here are some of my thoughts as you think about what to do...

(1) At the very least, keep the box and revisit in the Summer... give people some time to maybe rethink getting in, build a stack to add to it, sending you stuff, etc.

(2) Next round make it a rule and strict rule to take pictures of what you're taking out (not just one sky high pictures of your floor with tons of cards laid out) and then pictures what exactly you added. Not trying to micro manage but the box shouldn't come back to you and be in such terrible shape to where we need people to send in cards to get the box even ready to send to other people. At the very least it should come back to you in similar or equal shape to keep it going.

(3) Get the people who have sent cards to load the box included this time... maybe instead of them sending card in to start the box they could just participate and show some members how it's done.

(4) If you do decide to "blow it up" I would punt to the free to go home thread and that'll at least add value to the board and hope to get new people more active in there... it's a great thread but damn if new people just aren't jumping in, which is funny because it's free stuff being offered

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Don't forget some people added to the boxes to start the rebuild & added when they got it too. I believe some people even helped the build and didn't even participate. So people should try their best to add at least equal value.

Bill I'll send a few things for the next build. And I'll be out this round

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Jason K. (jkeys) is in for the next round, so that gives us:

Me [MENTION=6366]ASTROBURN[/MENTION] [MENTION=2196]Ashburn Alley[/MENTION] [MENTION=4526]jkeys[/MENTION] [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] (it's not going to be all GU and autos, so I hope you can participate again!). [MENTION=9071]Enfuego79[/MENTION]

Who else?

Mac - to address your point about getting people involved who strongly contributed - everyone has contributed to the concept of a box o goodies - It's hard to say who did what to help the cause and I don't like the idea of trying to single anyone out b/c feelings get hurt that way. I don't want anyone to feel that their contributes were less than others are not appreciated, but one person gave A LOT in terms of game used and autos. I know many gave those types of items and great inserts too, so it's hard to say this, but Gary M. donated to the box, probably 60-75 GU and Autos himself. Terry added some nice cards too, Rum sent a TON of packages to individuals, so he probably contributed a fair number of gu/autos too. I sent several separate packages to people with just GU/Autos as a thanks for what they sent my way. And I know there are others I probably forgot to mention. Shoot, the Mikes that participated sent lots of great cards too... and others. I don't really think it is fair to ask them to do more b/c they have already gone above and beyond. Also some of the originals left the board - Gary may be one of them, as did 200lb, and Terry dropped out. I think he was upset with the direction I wanted to go with things, but I don't know why for sure.

Anyway, my point is, I don't feel comfortable asking them to participate and add to the box again.

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
WOW !!!!! Bill looks like i missed all the fun . So glad the box I did went a lot better than this one did for you . Glad to see the original box made it back in the mix :)

Id like to get in the mix for the next round. few ideas if the make sense .

have all tat want to join mail you what they want to add to the box to start it off and then mail it out so all can pick what they want and add more stuff if they want and pick put the card/s that are labled with their names. Having everybody mail out cards out first will assure that they have somethig invested in the box..

here are some ideas to what i would add to box to start off with

1- 10 game used cards with bv of $8 +
2-10 vet autos with bv of $10 +
3-10 rookie autos with bv of $8+
4-10 inserts with bv of $5+
5-10+ cards Id throw in the mix for the box that other collectors would like

again some ideas...one everbody has mailed in their cards the box starts on its trip around the states to have everybody pick and add more stuff

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
We'd be happy to have you on board for round 4 Cisco.

The thing is, we already have a bunch of stuff. Just want to improve it a bit. I like the idea of starting it off with people sending stuff, which is what we have been doing.

Everyone does send a list of what they like and it is posted in first post of this thread with each new round. I also need your shipping details and phone number which you can PM.

Last edited:

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL

Me [MENTION=6366]ASTROBURN[/MENTION] [MENTION=2196]Ashburn Alley[/MENTION] [MENTION=4526]jkeys[/MENTION] [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] (it's not going to be all GU and autos, so I hope you can participate again!). [MENTION=9071]Enfuego79[/MENTION]

Who else?

Mac - to address your point about getting people involved who strongly contributed - everyone has contributed to the concept of a box o goodies - It's hard to say who did what to help the cause and I don't like the idea of trying to single anyone out b/c feelings get hurt that way. I don't want anyone to feel that their contributes were less than others are not appreciated, but one person gave A LOT in terms of game used and autos. I know many gave those types of items and great inserts too, so it's hard to say this, but Gary M. donated to the box, probably 60-75 GU and Autos himself. Terry added some nice cards too, Rum sent a TON of packages to individuals, so he probably contributed a fair number of gu/autos too. I sent several separate packages to people with just GU/Autos as a thanks for what they sent my way. And I know there are others I probably forgot to mention. Shoot, the Mikes that participated sent lots of great cards too... and others. I don't really think it is fair to ask them to do more b/c they have already gone above and beyond. Also some of the originals left the board - Gary may be one of them, as did 200lb, and Terry dropped out. I think he was upset with the direction I wanted to go with things, but I don't know why for sure.

Anyway, my point is, I don't feel comfortable asking them to participate and add to the box again.

Will there be a protest against me for participating?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
After reading back a few pages, im concerned I wont be able to "fully" participate, because I dont rip boxes like everyone else. I cant commit to adding much more than a few game used, inserts, and maybe an auto or two. I just liked the idea of getting that big box in the mail, and checking it out to see if any of it could be used for my PC. If so, I would add some of my extra stuff that may or may not interest the group.

So if it sounds like I wouldnt fit into the new plan, then maybe I would have to pass this time as well.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD

Who else?

Thanks for the shout-out, Bill. I'm still around, but I've been really busy this school year. The Common Core Curriculum is kicking my arse!

I would love to participate again sometime in the future, but I don't really have much to contribute to the box right now.

I still lurk on this thread, as it's fun to see some of the stuff I put in still going to a good home.

Good luck on the next go-round!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
After reading back a few pages, im concerned I wont be able to "fully" participate, because I dont rip boxes like everyone else. I cant commit to adding much more than a few game used, inserts, and maybe an auto or two. I just liked the idea of getting that big box in the mail, and checking it out to see if any of it could be used for my PC. If so, I would add some of my extra stuff that may or may not interest the group.

So if it sounds like I wouldnt fit into the new plan, then maybe I would have to pass this time as well.

You will be fine. No worries.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I picked up a few pieces today at the local show to build up the box a little. Rum might want to reconsider sitting the next round out after he sees some of these! I would have liked to of gotten more but the cost on these kept me to just a few, but they are very nice. The person I bought from had other older patches, which were all reasonably priced, but I told them is have to catch them at the next show.

Hunter 1/25
Chavez 7/25
Abreu 94/96
Beltre 53/100
Martinez 23/75
Weeks Bros. 22/50
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1391278363.957644.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1391278470.928182.jpg

The Floyd patch is unnumbered and bulging out of the card, but the person I bought from assured me it was pack pulled, so went with it.

Last edited:

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I picked up a few pieces today at the local show to build up the box a little. Rum might want to reconsider sitting the next round out after he sees some of these! I would have liked to of gotten more but the cost on these kept me to just a few, but they are very nice. The person I bought from had other older patches, which were all reasonably priced, but I told them is have to catch them at the next show.

Hunter 1/25
Chavez 7/25
Abreu 94/96
Beltre 53/100
Martinez 23/75
Weeks Bros. 22/50
View attachment 29603
View attachment 29611

The Floyd patch is unnumbered and bulging out of the card, but the person I bought from assured me it was pack pulled, so went with it.

Nice Chavez

Did you get my package to add to the box???

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm also probably going to watch the next round but happy I was apart of the last round and that it went smoothly with no real speed bumps other than the box coming back in less than equal value/shape, which was upsetting. If you need another body or if it's not for a while, I might jump in but no hard feelings if someone takes my place.

Members online

Latest posts