Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
[MENTION=7246]bobthewondercat77[/MENTION] I can't tell you how much this would mean. This thread includes some of the most generous people on the boards and while it would be a logistical challenge if people are willing to consider it, I would definitely look to find a way to express my thanks (possibly in the form of a raffle of a nice card or the like). I don't know who to direct this at but it would be incredible if people considered this.

I agree this is a great idea! One suggestion I have is possibly rotate where the money would be donated? Pediatric cancer is a great cause, but I also think there are other charities that are deserving as well

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I think the idea of donating any funds from sales is a great idea, BUT knowing what has been pulled from the box, I think we might be a bit ahead of ourselves. The bulk of the weeded stuff is base cards or low end inserts that people didn't want after two rounds of shipping. My point is that the pulled cards have very little value. They are not items that are worth trying to sell. The better stuff (game used/autos/low #'d stuff) is staying in the box as there may be peeps that participate in future rounds that could use them in their collections.

If there were some coectors on the boards that would find some of the stuff useful, well, I'm all for giving it away. On the other hand, I could just continue to compile the base cards that get put in to make player lots and then donate the funds from the sales (I've had some success selling on eBay with these type of lots, but it's literally pennies per card). Of course, I also just discouraged people from putting base cards in the box going forward as we are trying to elevate the level of cards in the box.

Hopefully it just keeps getting better and if we get to the point where we are weeding out game used and autos to upgrade for better ones, well, then we have something to talk about in terms of charity.

I will also say this, if we want to become some sort of philanthropic group, there is no reason why we can't do that. We can just start a card donation thread, game used or better, see what people donate and then sell the lot off on eBay and donate the profits. In fact, I think it is a good idea that can be started up as a separate thread. Maybe we can collect game used and autos or low #d cards and pool them over the course of a month and then list, then repeat the process, and the. Make donations to various charities over the course of the year. I think this far more likely to be a success than the rejected box of goodies items, at least at this time.

Last edited:

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I think the idea of donating any funds from sales is a great idea, BUT knowing what has been pulled from the box, I think we might be a bit ahead of ourselves. The bulk of the weeded stuff is base cards or low end inserts that people didn't want after two rounds of shipping. My point is that the pulled cards have very little value. They are not items that are worth trying to sell. The better stuff (game used/autos/low #'d stuff) is staying in the box as there may be peeps that participate in future rounds that could use them in their collections.

If there were some coectors on the boards that would find some of the stuff useful, well, I'm all for giving it away. On the other hand, I could just continue to compile the base cards that get put in to make player lots and then donate the funds from the sales (I've had some success selling on eBay with these type of lots, but it's literally pennies per card). Of course, I also just discouraged people from putting base cards in the box going forward as we are trying to elevate the level of cards in the box.

Hopefully it just keeps getting better and if we get to the point where we are weeding out game used and autos to upgrade for better ones, well, then we have something to talk about in terms of charity.

I will also say this, if we want to become some sort of philanthropic group, there is no reason why we can't do that. We can just start a card donation thread, game used or better, see what people donate and then sell the lot off on eBay and donate the profits. In fact, I think it is a good idea that can be started up as a separate thread. Maybe we can collect game used and autos or low #d cards and pool them over the course of a month and then list, then repeat the process, and the. Make donations to various charities over the course of the year. I think this far more likely to be a success than the rejected box of goodies items, at least at this time.

Sounds like a well thought out idea, in fact, I'm on board with the idea! I happen to know a few charities that I hold near and dear to my heart I wouldn't mind donating to.

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Appears we lost a lot of posts to this thread including the updated list of shipping order for the 3rd round and turn around times. Fortunately Andrew messages me to warn me and suggested I save the post. I did, but is on my work computer. Will repost tomorrow of the posts can't be retrieved!

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I missed this original post! If you are in this round please feel free to post on here or send me a PM of what your general collecting interest is and I will see what I can add for you.

If this is to me, I collect Royals auto/GU/patches/refractors/#'d. Mainly the top players past, present and future

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
If this is to me, I collect Royals auto/GU/patches/refractors/#'d. Mainly the top players past, present and future

Do not know off hand if I have anything like that but I do have a Bo Jackson minor league card and I have a Hosmer I will put in the box.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Do not know off hand if I have anything like that but I do have a Bo Jackson minor league card and I have a Hosmer I will put in the box.

You rock bud. I'm 100% positive I don't have the Bo, as I just started picking up some of his stuff.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] - I'm sure you didn't see it or it got lost but here is my post again...

I'm in for the box o' goodies and mostly to enjoy looking through the variation and seeing the cool cards. I probably won't find much I want but I have a pile at at least add and then get the box back down the road. I've already marked the calendar, so I'll be on the look out... I think I'm #2 on the list.

Also, will you please update my interest in the OP to - "Players" being Albert Belle, "Teams" being Cleveland Indians and "Other" being RCs and '90s inserts. Pretty straight forward with my sig.

Thanks and let's get this show on the road.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
@Bill Menard - I'm sure you didn't see it or it got lost but here is my post again...

I'm in for the box o' goodies and mostly to enjoy looking through the variation and seeing the cool cards. I probably won't find much I want but I have a pile at at least add and then get the box back down the road. I've already marked the calendar, so I'll be on the look out... I think I'm #2 on the list.

Also, will you please update my interest in the OP to - "Players" being Albert Belle, "Teams" being Cleveland Indians and "Other" being RCs and '90s inserts. Pretty straight forward with my sig.

Want me to send you any Albert Belle?

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
[MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] - I'm sure you didn't see it or it got lost but here is my post again...

Serial numbered Indians

Members online

Latest posts