Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody know anything about these Danbury Mint cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
I see them pop up fairly often whenever I'm searching ebay but I'm not really sure what they are. I googled them and saw they ran from 1996-2003 and claim to minted with 22k gold, although they generally seem to be pretty cheap. It seems like it would be kind of a neat oddball piece for the PC but I would kind of like to know more about them first. Anybody here ever buy them or have experience with them?

Here's an example if you don't know what I'm talking about:
Babe Ruth 1996 Danbury Mint SEALED 22 KT Gold Card | eBay

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I've got a bunch of them. Looks like paper/cardboard stock with gold leaf on it front and back. They also came in sealed plastic holders.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How would rate them on a scale of 1-10?

They're not that impressive looking in hand IMO. Picked a couple up for my player collections but I wouldn't go out of my way for them necessarily. The foil they use could have been a bit more shiny

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It's 22K gold leaf over cardboard stock. The gold value is pretty much nil. Gold leaf is VERY thin.

The cards themselves were issued in monthly two-card installments for the set. Expensive to purchase. Cheap on the secondary market. The Babe Ruth is incredibly easy to find - it was a free sample card to preview the first set.

Some good info here:
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ors-danbury-mint-22kt-cards-did-you-know.html

A_Pharis

It's 22K gold leaf over cardboard stock. The gold value is pretty much nil. Gold leaf is VERY thin.

The cards themselves were issued in monthly two-card installments for the set. Expensive to purchase. Cheap on the secondary market. The Babe Ruth is incredibly easy to find - it was a free sample card to preview the first set.

Some good info here:
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ors-danbury-mint-22kt-cards-did-you-know.html

yeah, I know that gold is so malleable that it can be pounded so thin that it's minimally valuable. I just wasn't sure if it was actually 22k quality gold hey used.
Cool tid-bit - at the Houston Natural Science Museum, I went to a gold exhibit. They had an entire room that was leafed from a piece of gold the size of a pea.

Last edited:

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio

Some good info here:

Cool, thanks. I just a Santo one pop up on ebay for less than $3.00 shipped so I figure for that price it seems worth adding to the collection. This makes me wonder if there are any Santo variations though

Cool tid-bit - at the Houston Natural Science Museum, I went to a gold exhibit. They had an entire room that was leafed from a piece of gold the size of a pea.

That's incredible. I was at the Royal Palace in Madrid about a month and a half ago and I don't think I'll ever see that much gold again in my life.

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
I have like 15 different cal ripken ones, some duplicates. But yea there pretty cheap

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online